What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Llorona

Registered
Reaction score
I've been rereading my Artemis Fowl books. I'm not sure if I like where the series went with the last book, to be honest; I think it pushed the environmental message a little too hard, and it made some of the characters seem a little off-kilter. But it's still a really fun series, and I'm definitely picking up The Atlantis Complex when it comes out. Right now, I just finished rereading The Opal Deception.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Tangled by Carolyn Mackler in one sitting. Like all Mackler's books, the teen voice was spot on (even the male voices, and all her narrators in the past have been female), and it included heavier themes with humor and lightness.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
So I have an update, I finished It's Not Summer Without You early this morning, I couldn't put the stupid book down, but you know what, I hated the ending!!!!!!! In the first book, the ending was set up so you knew, of course, there would be another book, with this ending, all though the major "conflict" is kind of cleared up, the author decided to ruin it and add an epilogue so to speak, now I'm like WTF is there going to be yet another book?
So point is, love the books but hate the endings lol

Now I am reading The Vampire Academy, I figured it was time to see what all the fuss was about.

Oh and the book I started last week and finished ( The Juliet Club ) was just a "Meh" didn't love it, didn't hate it.

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
Oh and the book I started last week and finished ( The Juliet Club ) was just a "Meh" didn't love it, didn't hate it.

I'm reading this one now. It seems cute but it hasn't hooked and dragged me into the pages like some have done before :D But I am enjoying it so far (I'm only at about page 30 though LOL LOL).

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
i love Sarah Dessen, but it wasn't my favorite.

I was pretty disappointed in Along for The Ride. It felt like it went forever and nothing really happened.

I read Tangled by Carolyn Mackler in one sitting. Like all Mackler's books, the teen voice was spot on (even the male voices, and all her narrators in the past have been female), and it included heavier themes with humor and lightness.

never read her... my library has Vegan Virgin valentine but for some reason I keep ignoring it... might check it out.l

So I have an update, I finished It's Not Summer Without You early this morning, I couldn't put the stupid book down, but you know what, I hated the ending!!!!!!! In the first book, the ending was set up so you knew, of course, there would be another book, with this ending, all though the major "conflict" is kind of cleared up, the author decided to ruin it and add an epilogue so to speak, now I'm like WTF is there going to be yet another book?
So point is, love the books but hate the endings lol

yes! It is a trilogy :) I've only read the first one and I thought the ending was weird too - but I knew from the outset it was a trilogy. I loved the book though. Belly thinks and acts exactly like a teenager, IMO. I'll read the second when it comes out in paperback :D

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Reading Sweethearts by sara Zarr.

Oh, I am liking it.

It's a kind of gentle read - but compelling and somehow Zarr always writes with this subtle emotion. It also reminds me oh-so-slightly of Elizabeth Scott's Bloom.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
i love Sarah Dessen, but it wasn't my favorite. Interesting, but I feel like she's starting to repeat the same character qualities. can't wait for her new book coming out next May. Hopefully it'll be something different.

It was ok, but I felt like Auden was just too much like Macy from The Truth About Forever. Someone Like You will always be my favorite. I agree, I'm ready to see something different from her.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
yes! It is a trilogy :) I've only read the first one and I thought the ending was weird too - but I knew from the outset it was a trilogy. I loved the book though. Belly thinks and acts exactly like a teenager, IMO. I'll read the second when it comes out in paperback :D[/QUOTE]

You think the first one ended weird, just you wait. And you are right, I just look on Jenny Han's website and she says there will be another Summer book, due out Summer 2011. I'm really interested in seeing how she completes the series, especially with how she left things in the second book. I really wanted number 2 in Tradeback, but found I couldn't wait for it, I wanted closure lol, which sadly, I'll have to wait for.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've just read Julie Anne Peters's Luna. This was the second of JAP's novels I've read, and it's an advance on Keeping You a Secret, which I enjoyed but was a straightforward coming-out story. Luna is more complex.

Much of this is due to JAP's telling of the story not from the viewpoint of the transsexual teen of the title (birth name Liam) but from that of his younger sister Regan, in first person past tense with some italicised present-tense flashbacks. Liam/Luna isn't always sympathetic: at times he's selfish and more than once Regan (who is the only person Luna confides in, apart from an online TG contact) feels that her own life barely exists and is dominated by Luna. The opening scene sets the tone here: one of many nighttime sessions between the two siblings. Luna can only come out at night. Luna desperately wants to pass as a girl, and this results in secret trips to the mall - although it's fairly obvious to outsiders to Luna is Liam in female clothing.

The novel is as much about its transgender theme (rare and to some controversial in YA) as the relationship between two sisters - Regan can't fail to be supportive even at her most exasperated, when it begins to affect her relationship with a potential boyfriend, and even when a betrayal of trust loses Regan a babysitting job. This is against the background of their not-entirely-functional family - mother desperate to get out of the house and run her own business, with father not entirely comprehending and covering this with bad jokes. (There's plenty about society's expectations of male and female roles in here too - Liam excels at sciences while Regan is expected not to, is one example.)

While this is definitely a 14+ YA due to theme, there's no sexual content and only one "fucking" in the dialogue. I read it in two days (two train journeys helped) which is quick for a novel of 67k words.

Next up is Siobhan Dowd's one MG novel (her other three are YA), The London Eye Mystery.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a productive long weekend away on a camping trip. I read:

"Huge" -- a bit fluffy but really entertaining
"Paper Towns" -- LOVE of course
"Jellicoe Road" -- WOW, very weird at the start, a bit predictable in the middle, but all around lovely and brilliant characters and a nice twisty plot

I also read "Luna" this weekend. At first I thought it was a bit of a copout to use the sister's POV, but then I decided it's stronger that way because Liam/Luna has only one person who knows about his secret/believes in her, and without that POV it's hard to make sense of his struggle. I LOVED it. I think it could be good reading for a younger kid if they are struggling with gender identity, or have a transgender close family member. The naughtiest thing in the book is two characters kissing.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful Creatures. Really loving seeing the romance from the guy's POV, it's a refreshing change :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Luna is one of the books that I'm "reading." I'm about halfway through, but it was taking me forever. I really wanted to like it, and I think it's an important book, but... I felt like it was too much exactly what I expect from a book about a transgendered kid. I could see where pretty much everything was going (granted, it's possible the 2nd half would surprise me, of course), and nothing that had happened was unexpected. So I put it aside to read other books.

ETA: HOWEVER, as a teen, I would have found Luna very enlightening, and there are next to no other books out there about transgendered teens, so I think Luna is revolutionary in that way. This "review" was written from an older Sage who has been exposed to a bunch of GLBT fiction, and it's probably because of that that I didn't enjoy Luna as much as I had hoped I would.

Last edited:

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves. It's weird, but good. My review is here.

I just started Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon. It's been in my TBR pile for a while, but the recent cover controversy bumped it to the top of the pile.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, a Luna conjunction!

Luna was first of a batch of shorter books after doing a beta of a novel of 165k words. After The London Eye Mystery (halfway through it, enjoying it, but it's quite different to A Swift Pure Cry and Bog Child), I have Siobhan Dowd's final novel Solace of the Road and Judy Blundell's What I Saw and How I Lied, all of which are in the 50-60k range. That should take me to...oh, about the end of next week. Not sure what I'll read after that, probably a review copy of an adult novel which arrived over the weekend and is out in August.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am more actively reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and The Adoration of Jenna Fox

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Hee, I read Luna a few weeks ago. I'm putting together a blog post about YA GLBT books. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Black Rabbit Summer. I couldn't put it down, only...LEAST SATISFYING ENDING EVAR. Can someone explain to me how that ending is at all acceptable? Character-wise there's no closure, plus the central question of the novel isn't answered, plus the plot doesn't really conclude. It feels like he reached the end, couldn't think of anything, and just went meh. If there is an alternate explanation for this, I would love to hear it! :)

Sean Wills

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Black Rabbit Summer. I couldn't put it down, only...LEAST SATISFYING ENDING EVAR. Can someone explain to me how that ending is at all acceptable? Character-wise there's no closure, plus the central question of the novel isn't answered, plus the plot doesn't really conclude. It feels like he reached the end, couldn't think of anything, and just went meh. If there is an alternate explanation for this, I would love to hear it! :)

Kevin Brooks has a tendency to do this. Lucas (which I loved) has an ending that's emotionally powerful but not all that satisfying in terms of tying up loose ends, and I've heard that Being barely even touches on the mystery driving most of the plot forward.

I'm guessing he does it intentionally for thematic reasons, but man is it irritating.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Middleworld: The Jaguar Stones by J&P Voelkel. It's an interesting set-up so far. More middle grade than YA but intriguing nonetheless.

Snowflake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a giant five-book collection by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, who I just discovered because I was looking for a book for my trip. And I have to say, she is an AWESOME writer. I'm looking forward to picking up more of her books.

Plus I want to read Perks of a Wallflower because one of my favorite actors is going to star in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.