Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Great work, Milo. Looking forward to seeing the story pop into my inbox

@Aggy: I shall be tuning in on August 4th then, it seems. I don't remember if I ever told you, but I liked The Bed quite a bit.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've got some braggage too.

short-story.me has bought Goldar the Unwieldy, my first W1S1 story, for publication. It's a light-hearted, somewhat satirical, fantasy piece. Not sure when it'll be up yet, but i'll let y'all know when it is.

Also, i've bought the cover art for issue #1 of C&C. And it's awesome. Here's a sneak peek at a small portion of the image: Sneaky-peekage.

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, guys!

Shelley

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Aggy and Izz.

And Yay! for the cover. That looks great.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks, Annie, Chris, Shelley and Lillie.

Lillie, wait 'til you see the whole picture. It rocks.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Izz! And I'd never heard of that market - it looks like a good one. So thanks also :)

And the cover is awesome.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lillie, wait 'til you see the whole picture. It rocks.

Do you know, it's really exciting for me just to watch C&C happening. It must be wild for you!

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool cover, Izz. Totally fits the tone the name brings to mind.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks, Nat.

Actually, Lillie, i'm more nervous than excited. Strange, huh?

And, things seem to be happening thick and fast for me at the moment. I've just been notified that i've received an honorable mention in the second quarter of WoTF. If you take one of the letters out of that acronym you'll get my initial response ;)

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I've just been notified that i've received an honorable mention in the second quarter of WoTF. If you take one of the letters out of that acronym you'll get my initial response ;)

Awesome, Sam!

Shelley

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D That's wonderful!
Congratulations!

I suppose I can understand you being nervous about C&C. But I'm sure everything will work out great with it.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I've just been notified that i've received an honorable mention in the second quarter of WoTF. If you take one of the letters out of that acronym you'll get my initial response ;)

Congrats! I'm so glad things are taking off for you, Izz. C&C looks like it's going to be great, and hopefully great to work on as well.

Also, I got an HM from WotF today too.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Question: how do i report this to duotrope? A personal rejection?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the Honorable Mentions from WotF folks! I have a small braggage as well - a W1S1 flash story of mine called "Pel's Crusade" was posted today by Golden Visions Magazine and can be read here (Scroll down to PEL'S CRUSADE):

http://www.goldenvisionsmagazine.biz/Summer-2011-Flash.html

I'm a little annoyed however, because the editor tacked on a sentence at the end of the story without checking with me. It's a twist story, and the sentence which was added works to "drive the point home" for anyone who did not get the twist. Think the last scene of "The Devil's Advocate" where the new guy tempting Keanu Reeves turns back into Al Pacino, for two and a half viewers so obtuse they did not realize what's happening otherwise. I always found that scene to be annoying and condescending to the viewer in an otherwise excellent movie.

If any of you take the time to read the story, could you please tell me if you think I'm right or if I am really off the mark and the editor had made an improvement? The sentence she added starts at "All thanks..."

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
First off, very amusing (and clever) story. As to the final sentence, I don't think it's too obtrusive in and of itself. Not needed, no, but hardly a deal breaker. The fact that it was added without your permission, however, is extremely Not Okay and probably means that I will never submit there.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Nate. I am a little baffled as to how to best handle the situation. First off, I certainly am not trying to discourage anyone from submitting to GVM - the editors have been nothing but nice to me and I'm sure this is a misunderstanding that can be fixed - but I wanted to solicit opinions and advice from my friends here before reacting (overreacting?) to this.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
If any of you take the time to read the story, could you please tell me if you think I'm right or if I am really off the mark and the editor had made an improvement? The sentence she added starts at "All thanks..."

First off, I've never had an editor make changes with out least notifying me, and almost always passing them by me for my approval. That seems like a really big warning flag on this market right there.

Second, yes, that last line is cringe-worthy. The way it would have ended without it would have been just a tad too abrupt for my own tastes, but still, much better than what was done.

I do believe you have ample justification for feeling vexed.

-Suzanne

Status
Not open for further replies.