Gardeners of AW, unite

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This weekend is finish up the main planting etc. Which has me convinced that next year I'm going to garden concrete.

We haven't had a drop of rain in six weeks.

caw

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
If you are looking for a chemical free way to rid yourself of weeds, you can smother them. Cover the area with a thick layer of newspaper and dump mulch over the top. By next year, it will be ready for your next planting. Plastic works the same way too, but you won't be able to plant anything without ripping through the plastic.

Thank you for that tip! I may look into doing that. Could I do that with some other type of paper? I ask, because I've heard that the inks used in newspaper can be bad.

My mom, bf, and I went and did a good hour of weeding yesterday. Got rid of most of the bindweed, and a good amount of the grass. Darn weeds. I'm so happy, though, that pretty much everything seems to be coming up. Forgot I'd planted some flowers in one corner . . . was trying to figure out why I'd planted carrots in that spot, till I realized those ferny little leaves were cosmos seedlings. Yay, flowers.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about adding a few raised bed and tossing around the idea of getting chickens. Our city lets us have up to 5 hens (no roosters) and I am thinking about getting two and then have maybe two more in three years.

I figured they would make good backyard buddies, and they would be a good help with keeping the slugs and bugs out of my garden. (along with adding fertilizer) I don't plan to kill them for meat, they would just grow old here.

Anyone have any chicken advice or experiences to share?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Speaking from (unfortunate) experience here. Chickens produce surprising quantities of chickenshit.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Thinking about adding a few raised bed and tossing around the idea of getting chickens. Our city lets us have up to 5 hens (no roosters) and I am thinking about getting two and then have maybe two more in three years.

I figured they would make good backyard buddies, and they would be a good help with keeping the slugs and bugs out of my garden. (along with adding fertilizer) I don't plan to kill them for meat, they would just grow old here.

Yes, don't get a rooster. :D

We had one years and years ago along with a dozen hens. The dang bird was so territorial it jumped up on my son's back who was 4 at the time and started pecking his neck. I've never liked roosters since. :tongue

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Give them a nice comfy area that's sheltered from the wind and nesting areas so they can lay eggs. Stay far away from roosters unless you want chicks. Enjoy the eggs...they love scraps and bugs...use their poop for your fertilizer...that's about it.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Good to know about all that 'fertilizer'. We are getting a compost bin next weekend and I believe the poop can go in there too.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
They go good with dumplings? :Shrug:

If you think there's a chance you might eat them, it's better not to name them. A buddy of mine decided to raise some chickens. We did name them: Stew, Colonel, Fricassee, Pollo, Kiev...

It was fun.

They were delicious.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, don't get a rooster. :D

We had one years and years ago along with a dozen hens. The dang bird was so territorial it jumped up on my son's back who was 4 at the time and started pecking his neck. I've never liked roosters since. :tongue
Ditto.
My sister has a rooster named Kramer and he's one mean SOB.
I'm surprised he hasn't ended up in the cooking pot by now.

But he keeps strange cats and dogs out of the yard. And the mailman.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, gardeners.

I used to have the most lovely garden in Texas. An herb garden, a rose arbor, rosemary shrubs, handmade mosaic patio stones interspersed with creeping thyme, a pond with waterfall....{{{sigh}}}

Then we moved to Wisconsin and I completely lost my gardening mojo. I had to get used to an entirely new zone, #1. #2, we were in a rental and didn't have lots of money for seeds and plants. I finally started acclimating to not having two separate growing seasons (spring and fall), and managed to have some tomatoes last year.

This year, we're in Alberta, and the weather here is insane. How the hell do people garden here when they're still getting snow in late May? We'll be getting our own place soon (rather than living with the in-laws). At least I'll be able to have some indoor pots of herbs. Maybe next year I can start some plants (if I'm working and we have the $ for it). I'll have to invest in tons of burlap and Salvation Army blankets and sheets to protect the babies from these insane up and down temperatures.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
An idea, do raised beds with their own special greenhouses. They're remarkably cheap in comparison to a full on green house.

This is a basic picture and talking about it.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf34769023.tip.html

Here's a step by step do it yourself pvc green house. Very cheap.
http://pvcgreenhouse.blogspot.com/

Here's for a non-rounded one.

http://www.snapclamp.com/greenhouse.htm

Here's more.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Build-your-own-greenhouse

You can also do raised beds and do individual green houses for cold weater on each one of them. This allows you to have your garden in place and not have to move it about.

Just some thoughts.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody here have any experience with gardening with native plants?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Native as in where? Location will drastically change what native plants you're talking about and how they are handled.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Chickens! Go to Backyardchickens.com for one. Get good layers- a nice tame, quiet breed. Don't just go for the fancy unless their behavior matches what you want (though they are all individuals). Also consider egg size b/c if you cook with eggs, you want larges. If possible, consider two different breeds. Somewhere there's a chart about which breed is good for what. It's not complete, and a little based on one farm's personal experience but very thorough otherwise. If you want, PM me and I'll find it.

I like easter egg layers- http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/araucanas_americanas.html and I'm hoping to get some later this year.

Don't grow lettuce, or your chickens will eat it. Or fence it off. Be aware that they might get a taste for other stuff. (Guinea fowl love tomatoes for example) Ask your neighbors not to spray weed killer against the fence line b/c it will get into your chickens and then your eggs.

Lock them up at night. You only need x square feet per bird (3?? 5??) and you do NOT need a walk in cage for 2. Just get something sturdy and raise it up a little. Make sure they have room to roost AND nest (which means more than 5 square feet for bird I think) They can nest in there, sleep, and hide from storms. You can also do a little lawn tractor instead.

nutbird

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Chickens! Go to Backyardchickens.com for one.

Yes - that is a great site! And you might want to take a look at their chicken coop designs, some of them are really fun!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Chickens! Go to Backyardchickens.com for one. Get good layers- a nice tame, quiet breed. Don't just go for the fancy unless their behavior matches what you want (though they are all individuals). Also consider egg size b/c if you cook with eggs, you want larges. If possible, consider two different breeds. Somewhere there's a chart about which breed is good for what. It's not complete, and a little based on one farm's personal experience but very thorough otherwise. If you want, PM me and I'll find it.

I like easter egg layers- http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/araucanas_americanas.html and I'm hoping to get some later this year.

Don't grow lettuce, or your chickens will eat it. Or fence it off. Be aware that they might get a taste for other stuff. (Guinea fowl love tomatoes for example) Ask your neighbors not to spray weed killer against the fence line b/c it will get into your chickens and then your eggs.

Lock them up at night. You only need x square feet per bird (3?? 5??) and you do NOT need a walk in cage for 2. Just get something sturdy and raise it up a little. Make sure they have room to roost AND nest (which means more than 5 square feet for bird I think) They can nest in there, sleep, and hide from storms. You can also do a little lawn tractor instead.

Yes - that is a great site! And you might want to take a look at their chicken coop designs, some of them are really fun!

I have been all over that site!! :D I love the idea of transforming a child's plastic playhouse into a coop. (Great way to recycle all that plastic and Craig's list has them for sale..) If I do take the feathered friend plunge, I'll need to have a run built. We do have hawks, bald eagles, raccoons, and skunks in the area. Still working out the logistics, but it would be cool to have them as garden companions. I've been thinking of getting Delawares. They are beautiful and known to be calm, quiet and great egg producers. (And I'll keep the lettuce away!)

Thanks for all of the responses.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, predators are tough. You just have to accept the losses to the winged ones and protect strongly against the furred ones. Hawks and eagles have to eat, but I think foxes and 'coons and possums should stick with wild grub ;)

Delawares are nice. They are another breed I'm considering actually.

And I'm hoping to turn an old horse trailer into a coop, if I can find an affordable one that's not fit for horses but not too dumpy. :)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing an herb garden in a window box inside my kitchen. Any suggestions?

Try a south facing window and anything goes. I have great luck with rosemary, oregano and mint. (Just be sure you NEVER put mint in the ground. It spreads like crazy!)

Yes, predators are tough. You just have to accept the losses to the winged ones and protect strongly against the furred ones. Hawks and eagles have to eat, but I think foxes and 'coons and possums should stick with wild grub ;)

Delawares are nice. They are another breed I'm considering actually.

And I'm hoping to turn an old horse trailer into a coop, if I can find an affordable one that's not fit for horses but not too dumpy. :)

LOVE the horse trailer idea! My yard isn't big enough for something like that. It is also built on a slope. Good luck! Let me know what you get!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Try a south facing window and anything goes. I have great luck with rosemary, oregano and mint. (Just be sure you NEVER put mint in the ground. It spreads like crazy!)
So kind of like when my landscaper told me that thyme as ground cover was great. OH man was I sick of it and it runs amok!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The horse trailer idea is down the road, but possibly as early as a few months from now. I already considered a few possible designs in my free time ;) I can't wait to get out of here.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So kind of like when my landscaper told me that thyme as ground cover was great. OH man was I sick of it and it runs amok!
I did the same thing with oregano. Every time I went outside I got hungry for pizza.