• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Soul Mate Publishing

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the editing stage with SMP. I've been really happy with their dedication and professionalism. My ms has been through two rounds so far. Their changes have been productive and my editor really understands and listens to my characters. She suggested I rewrite the last 3/4 of the ms because it fell short of the central love story. At first I declined then I read it and understood from a readers point of view. I love my cover and looking forward to the sales. It's out in two weeks.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Submitted July 1st,
Nudged Aug 15
Rejected Aug 21st.

They liked my writing but my ending was too bitter-sweet for them and not Happily Ever After enough.

But they liked my writing, so that's good to hear!

jessie S

Registered
Reaction score
My novella "Orchard Hill" has just come out as an e-book and I am satisfied so far. The editor was great.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, jesse S!
I have a book coming out with them in the Spring, so I'm happy to hear you had a positive experience!!

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
I accepted their offer in June, but my book will not be out until April.

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
HistorySleuth, my book came out in July and I got my first royalty check. According to the contract, I had to make over $20 in sales to get some royalty. My book is selling for $2.99. I received a $12 royalty check. Have to work out the maths but I didn't do a lot of marketing so once I do that, my next 3 mths check should be more, hopefully.

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any more up to date information on this company.

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
What would you like to know-- whether or not they're worth submitting to? They are coming up on the three year mark where they will be a RWA recognized publisher. They continue to grow. They do marketing on their end, but encourage you to promote yourself as well. The group of authors is very supportive of each other. SMP attends all the appropriate (romance) writing conferences, and has been guest speaker at at least one local RWA chapter.

But they're like any small press-- a good fit for some, but perhaps not others. They went to a standard $2.99 price for all their ebooks, which I personally like.

The same applies to other publishers you are seriously considering. Read some of their books (or if you're cheap like me, read the free samples). Feel free to PM me if you have other, more specific questions.

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
What would you like to know-- whether or not they're worth submitting to? They are coming up on the three year mark where they will be a RWA recognized publisher. They continue to grow. They do marketing on their end, but encourage you to promote yourself as well. The group of authors is very supportive of each other. SMP attends all the appropriate (romance) writing conferences, and has been guest speaker at at least one local RWA chapter.

But they're like any small press-- a good fit for some, but perhaps not others. They went to a standard $2.99 price for all their ebooks, which I personally like.

The same applies to other publishers you are seriously considering. Read some of their books (or if you're cheap like me, read the free samples). Feel free to PM me if you have other, more specific questions.

Just sent you a PM. Thanks!

ScarletWhisper

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for posting this. I received a request for full from them. (My book is urban fantasy/high fantasy/romantic elements.) Their cover art is good and Goodreads and Amazon both show their books as highly rated. Sales Rank Express shows a big range from 4k to 1 million +. Of course, the lower ranks were newer books and the higher ranks were older ones.

I'm wondering how their sales numbers are in general, and what their printing situation is. Do they put books on shelves or simply available for order? And how much do they put into promotion?

I'm a debut author but this book is the first in a long series (second is in progress now). I want to home it carefully, with the greatest long-term potential for sales (Though money is less important right now than exposure--I'm planning the next ten+ years here, playing the long game.)

Ignore the rambling. Some of that is me writing things out to think them through. But any input on SMP would be very helpful! :)

Last edited:

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
Your books will not be on bookstore shelves. It's POD, with print copies 9-10 months after ebook release.

I have no idea what average sales numbers are. Mine are low, but I also do extremely little self promotion (because I HATE it), plus my book came out at the very beginning of the month, and it's a prime eligible book. I've sent my book out to 6 different review sites but haven't heard back from any yet.

The authors who continually self-promote and push out new books seem to be doing well, but that's not me. I'm struggling to finish the sequel, but when I do I hope I will have a better grasp of getting it out there.

ScarletWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Kay. That's helpful information. How did you find the editing and production process? Did they stay on schedule?

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I received a request for full from them. (My book is urban fantasy/high fantasy/romantic elements.) Their cover art is good and Goodreads and Amazon both show their books as highly rated. Sales Rank Express shows a big range from 4k to 1 million +. Of course, the lower ranks were newer books and the higher ranks were older ones.

I've never used Sales Rank Express. I assume that the numbers assigned to each novel correspond to their actual rank in the kindle store, right?

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
I've never used Sales Rank Express. I assume that the numbers assigned to each novel correspond to their actual rank in the kindle store, right?

Yes.

ScarletWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is a sales rank for each novel. The algorithm is not completely nailed down, but the recently you sell a book, and the more you sell per day improves your rank. A low number is better. For example, you'd rather be the 100th selling book than the 1,000,000th.

josephus_bumaat

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted July 1st,
Nudged Aug 15
Rejected Aug 21st.

They liked my writing but my ending was too bitter-sweet for them and not Happily Ever After enough.

But they liked my writing, so that's good to hear!
@Anarchic Q: If you don't mind, can you tell me what your ending was? I wanna know how bittersweet it is... Did your MC die? I thought the editors asked if you could change your ending. You may PM me if you wish. Thank you! :-D

Mellanah

Registered
Reaction score
Updates?

Hi! I'm wondering if there is any recent information on experiences with this publisher. I got a full request and would love more info.

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
I've been with SMP for a few years and Im always asked by new authors/authors who've come across them how I like working with them.
I haven't had a negative experience with them so far. Their editing is on par and their covers are gorgeous! Im always complimented on my covers. Debby, the owner is lovely and very supportive, but she is understaffed and takes her a while to get back to emails. They seem to be doing well, which is good, and growing. They have changed a lot since I joined in 2012.
The only negative thing I have to say, like other SMP authors who've commented, is the lack of marketing. You are encouraged to market yourself to make sales. Ive done blog tours and that seems to help. I received my royalty check in early Jan and it was a surprise! SMP is working on improving their marketing and they are aware of it. I like working with them so I hope this improves soon.
For the POD side, as the contract states, the author will receive 15 odd copies of their books 9-10 months after release. I have 2 print copies now which Ill probably do giveaways with. No advances yet though this may change when times goes on. If anyone wishes to know more, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I did a quick check through the opening pages for a few of their books, and I wasn't impressed. Lots of punctuation and grammar errors.

Kellie, when you say you were surprised by your royalty check, was it a good surprise? And would you be willing to share, in general terms, what your sales have been like?

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
Hi eqb,

With SMP I know I'm not going to get hundreds of sales. I don't spend a lot of money on marketing as I don't have the time personally to do so.
My first royalty check was $11 and that's when my first HF was released in mid 2013. For me I was very happy - even though I hadn't done any marketing or real promotion.
This time around it was $20.
As an author, I had self doubt that my books wouldnt sell (still do!) so when one does I'm over the moon. However, saying that, I'm looking to move on from SMP and find a publisher that spends a little more time in marketing.

Last edited: