i love books....lol
Registered
Reaction score
Intertwined by Gena SHowwalter just came in the post :D good read

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I've only just started it, but am enjoying it so far. Her pacing is terrific.

MM

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't even been able to read much lately. College has kept me busy all day, every day.

thecraftteens

Registered
Reaction score
Intertwined by Gena SHowwalter just came in the post :D good read

I got an advanced reading copy over the summer. It's okay to start out with--I like the various personalities that are within the MC--but the ending leaves much to be desired. I like "meat" to my story, if that makes sense. Sort of like Stephen King does when he tells the characters' backgrounds. The backgrounds must be essential to the overall plot, yes, but I don't mind reading about how the MC's wife died in a freak train accident, if it's relevant.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently catching up with some YAs that seem to have become modern classics or close to it - I'm halfway through Speak (Laurie Halse Anderson) and after that Looking for Alaska (John Green). I also have two beta-reads lined up and two review copies, all of them in the 90-120k word range, so that's my reading schedule for the next month and a half spoken for.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I've only just started it, but am enjoying it so far. Her pacing is terrific.

MM

Oh my God... you have NO idea how badly I want to read that book! Unfortunately I'll have to wait until it comes out in the UK, which will probably take another few months... ughughugh. Anyway, it's good to know that people like it/I won't be disappointed.

Also, I love your username! It's my Facebook quote, haha.

I've just finished reading 'Graceling' by Kristin Cashore, and I loved it. It thoroughly explored the implications, both good and bad, of having incredible power, which is something not many young adult fantasy books do. Most of them are either: "OMG look at what I can do!" or "My life is ruined, I am gifted with a curse!"

Now I've moved on to 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith, which should be required reading for all young adults... I'm sixteen now, and it's just as good/poignant as it was when I was thirteen. I keep finding new layers/meanings to the characters' interactions.

OK, shutting up now.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
invisible i - The Amanda Project by Stella Lennon (at least this portion is) and it's really good so far. Very fast-paced and it connects to the YA world without going too far into being "hip." There's just enough that it's believable without being ridiculous.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God... you have NO idea how badly I want to read that book! Unfortunately I'll have to wait until it comes out in the UK, which will probably take another few months... ughughugh. Anyway, it's good to know that people like it/I won't be disappointed.

It is out in the UK now. I've seen copies on sale in shops (though not my local WH Smiths for some reason).

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
S.J.:

I've seen copies in my local Borders so I thought it was out in the UK (although I got my copy for free from the Amazon Vine programme).

MM

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I finished The Hollow. I had a love/hate relationship with the book, but I'm not going to say why if some people are either reading or going to read it. You'll find out what I mean soon enough.

Right now, I'm reading Stay With Me by Garret Freymann-Weyr.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading 'Graceling' by Kristin Cashore, and I loved it. It thoroughly explored the implications, both good and bad, of having incredible power, which is something not many young adult fantasy books do. Most of them are either: "OMG look at what I can do!" or "My life is ruined, I am gifted with a curse!"

Love, love, love that book.:heart:

So jealous of everyone reading Catching Fire. I really need to just order it off of Amazon. Living overseas makes it so hard to get my book-fix.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score

Um, I've noticed it in shops since late August--the official UK/Ireland release date was early September, so it's definitely out by now.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins, and there's just been a massive twist. Hehe. I really like it so far, but am not at all sure about the twist... although I have faith in her storytelling skills, so am just going to see what happens.

Thank you to the three people who told me it was out. I'm so stupid! Note to self: Googling 'Catching Fire Collins Release UK' is not so comprehensive. *facepalm*

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins, and there's just been a massive twist. Hehe. I really like it so far, but am not at all sure about the twist... although I have faith in her storytelling skills, so am just going to see what happens.

Thank you to the three people who told me it was out. I'm so stupid! Note to self: Googling 'Catching Fire Collins Release UK' is not so comprehensive. *facepalm*

I felt the same way about the twist. I wasn't really sure about it and even went "really?" but as I kept reading, it kept fitting more and more and it worked for the overall plot.

Nickles

Working the fingers
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! If I ever don't know what to read, I just have to read through this. Currently reading The Awakening by Armstrong. I just finished the first one--The Summoning. The bad thing about reading a series is when you have to wait for the next book to come out so I'm not going to try to read this book too fast.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Love the writing- I'm very jealous. But I didn't really like the way it ended. Also I never did figure out what "The Return" was. I'm not sure if the author never really said or if I just missed it.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Just read LIVING DEAD GIRL by Elizabeth Scott. It ripped my soul out. I read it in one setting and I was just like...in shock. It was amazing.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Another Faust by Daniel and Dina Nayeri. It mentioned "gifted" and I jumped the gun in buying it, fascinated as I am by anyone writing on that topic.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins and was really enjoying it right up until it became a rinse and repeat of The Hunger Games (something that I was tipped to within the first 50 pages). Fortunately I got my copy for free rather than having to pay for it, because if I'd paid £7 for a book that's largely repeating plot, I'd have been really hacked off.

I'm about to start reading Changeling: Dark Moon by Steve Feasey - it's the sequel to Changeling and is about a teenage boy who discovers that he's the last hereditary werewolf.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.