• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Sandra: lol, sorry about the seventeen thing! But don't worry about how long she's taking at all. I talked to her on the phone last night, and she told me that she usually doesn't go as fast as she did with mine, it just happened to work out that way. She said she usually looks over a few pages of a partial and reads the rest during a weekend, so don't be discouraged. It doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't like it.

Ant: Thanks!!! Oh, I'm so, so excited. She did tell me that after she sells the book it will still be eighteen months before it's on shelves, but I kind of figured that much. She was just so, so nice and helpful and fun! I'm very happy to be working with her.

Fingers crossed for Helene and Rebecca and TereLiz and Sandra!! Good luck, you guys!

Helene B

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heleneboudreau.com
And BW, I'm just SO excited for you! You must have an outstanding manuscript to offer for Joanna to have moved so quickly. Here's hoping for a quick sale. :)

Thanks for the good luck vibes!

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Thank you so much, Helene! Honestly, I've been querying for about a month, and I had very, very few responses. 3 rejections and 2 requests out of 17 letters. My email was messed up. Then one of the partial requests turned into rejection, and I was really worried about the content because it is racy and edgy, but a few day after the rejection, Joanna called and offered. So, take it from me, everyone is different. The rejection was because the agent didn't connect with my MC, while Joanna said she fell in love with my MC in the partial, so it's all taste. Don't let the rejections get you down, guys!! It'll happen!
And, Helene, I so hope the revisions go well for you!!

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I'm exhausted just thinking how much the poor gal has to read this weekend!

Thanks for the well wishes, Kody. And good luck Rebecca and Helene B.

Helene, are you in S.E. La? I know plenty of Boudreaux, lol.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I wish my MS was ready to go out but alas it's not yet. I'm dying to send to Joanna. I checked her QueryTracker page and she reps ALL of the genres my current WIPs fall into. You all make her sound wonderful (which I have no doubt she is!). Only a few more months if my timeline plays out properly and I'll be subbing to her.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Good with that, RCS!!! I hope everything works out with your MS. And, yeah, she is wonderful. I talked to her last night, and I'm so, so glad I queried her. She's very enthusiastic about her job, which I think makes a huge impact on how well an agent can sell a book. She's great! So, yes, definitely sub to her when you're done!

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Only 127 pages left to revise then its off to the betas. Then the waiting (which shouldn't be too bad since I have another WIP to try and finish in June. My goal is to start my first round of subs in late August/early September so she'll be the top of my list.

BTW Blind Writer: I sent you a PM.

Helene B

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heleneboudreau.com
Helene, are you in S.E. La? I know plenty of Boudreaux, lol.

Nope, but I'm probably their long lost cousin :) . The Boudreau(x) family became separated during the Acadian Deportation of 1755. Some migrated back to Maritime Canada (where I'm from) and some became part of the Cajuns of LA.

Say 'hi' for me! :D

Last edited:

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I got a speedy rejection from Joanna for my middle grade novel. That's okay - it only means one "wrong" agent off the list, one step closer to the "right" one! :)

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Just remember, the lives of small children are not at stake. Even if it is a rejection, it won't be from everyone. No one will die. You'll be just fine.
Yeah, as if that makes you feel better. Everyone told me that during the waiting, and it helped a little...for about five seconds. So here's hoping it works better for you!

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
LOL I have a partial and a full out with someone else right now, anyway. (But I really want Joanna because she's the only one who's been enthusiastic about this.)

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I know what you mean. Enthusiasm makes so much difference! When she offered to rep me, I didn't have any second guessing or anything because she was so enthusiastic about the book, and I knew that was a great, great thing. So, for your sake, I hope the enthusiasm continues! "cross fingers"

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
...I'm not the best with synopsis writing.

Maybe it's just me, but I found it harder to write the blasted synopsis than I did the entire book:Shrug: I sweated over it for days and days....sigh