Salutiferous September 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
The chat with my agent was useful. We talked about my reworked scene, which is going to get rearranged a bit, and a little about general pacing issues.

So yeah, more work to do. And it's weird, because I have absolutely no idea any more what is and isn't working. I've become desensitized to the entire MS.

Anyway - up 496 words, trying to make some things more clear. Will read it again tomorrow and see if the changes helped or made it all worse.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Do you need a day or two off, Liz? Just to get some space from the MS?

Anyway. I didn't write anything last night, but I did come up with a way to resolve one of the niggling problems I've been having with the story (not so much the plot, more the telling of it). And I realised that I'm actually really, really close to a major milestone in the plot.

I woke up this morning excited about the story, excited to get writing - then I had to go to work. Bleugh.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
osg, I have come to the conclusion that liz will not take a break until the book is done-done.

I seem to be taking a break myself, for no particular reason other than work is a lot of work. It's starting to rankle. Must make time for some writing in between all the other things.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Work just interferes with everything, doesn't it? Stupid bills. If I didn't have to eat, I could get this @#$%!! book done.

osg, I have come to the conclusion that liz will not take a break until the book is done-done.

If I tried to take a break before it was finished, it would haunt my dreams and give me indigestion and make sure I did not enjoy a single second I had to myself. Finishing the book is self-defense at this point.

More hacking tonight, and down 682 words. I am hoping if I can focus over the weekend that I can get it finished and back out again by Monday.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Got through the edits, and knocked off another 74 words tonight. The edits will need revising, of course; but I have some optimism I'll be able to finish on Monday.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Down another 41 words tonight. Four more chapters to review, and then I can send it back. Unless it's a disaster, of course.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Only managed a bit more re-reading / editing this month but I have come up with a new strategy. On the way back from shopping today I was having a think. Basically I was wondering about the fact that I'm getting nowhere with my writing and that the main problem is I'm too easily discouraged / distracted. So I came up with an idea. Starting October 1, I am going to write four books. I'm going to take the numerous plots and outlines that are lying around here and I'm going to write it until it's done, not stopping to edit along the way. Once I've done four, I'll have a break, and then I'll edit. Then, after another break, I'll repeat the process. Out of this I should hopefully get at least one manuscript that can be sent out on submission. I won't work to a time constraint, although I'll probably do NaNoWriMo as part of this, so long as I write something each day, barring travelling days (in Novemeber for instance, when I'm off to America).
Already know the one I'm starting with. Dark Island (working title) - think Broadchurch set on the Western Isles and with a slightly supernatural element to it. It's been outlined for years.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Hugs, Liz.

Zelenka, sounds like a great plan and an awesome book idea.

I've been camping for the past three days and no writing. Today I'm getting back into it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've been camping for the past three days and no writing. Today I'm getting back into it.

Camping is a fabulous way to clear your head. I hope it was a lovely time.

Zelenka, that sounds like a great strategy! For me, at least, the hardest part is always the first draft. Having four drafts done - that will be fabulous!

And speaking of drafts, I edited my edits tonight. Down another 209 words. I think it's not in bad shape now. (How many times have I said that??) I'll read it over again in the morning, and if I'm happy, I'll send it off. Again.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to edit the first chapters of the WIP into something decent, but it won't come out right. The meat of the story is there, but the way I wrote it just won't hold up. I feel like I can't keep on working on this thing unless I get the beginning right.

Meanwhile I added about 300 words to the other story, which turning more and more depressing by the minute.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Ugh

The scene I have rewritten is Just Not Working. I redid it because my MC's motivation wasn't clear, and...it's still not clear, at least not in the second half.

Although at the moment I haven't the faintest idea how to fix it, I suspect I'll work it out...but right now I'm feeling utterly disspirited.

I know I can't let this one thing derail the whole book, but it feels like this one thing has derailed the whole book.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Asroc, I have the same issue. I have to start strong or it doesn't work.

Liz, hugs. I know that feeling well.

OSG, great about sending off another query. :D

724 words last night.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yay on the query, osg!

And great words, Saoirse.

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. :) Better today. I've rewritten the scene, and although it still needs some tweaks, I think in general it works better. (I added shouting. Shouting always helps.)

I had this artificial deadline of October 1st in my head, and I've let that go. Makes everything seem less frantic.

Excellent September, everyone! :e2cheer: