Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Me too! Me too! At least that is my diagnosis.
Shit.

I really liked Kris Rusch's business blog this week because her post explains how these absurdly artificial categories and classifications happen. Basically she explains how publishing houses have been publishing books to the book trade instead of actual readers. You can also see why major publishers are having conniption fits over the possibility of Barnes and Noble going down. Without a national outlet which can be manipulated, it's harder to for a publishing house to create a best seller.

Of course, looking back over the past few decades, I realize to the extent that I write for the editors, who publish to the book trade.

(Added: Is "myoptic" the right word here? No wonder it's all so screwed up!)

My income from my legal practice is considerably larger than my income from writing (duh) but of course, my writing is more satisfying.

In yesterday's mail, I received 3 tax documents, one from my former agency, one from my current publisher, and one from Amazon.

My income from trad publishing is also much larger than my income from self-publishing (which I only started a few months ago) but writing to self-publish is much more satisfying because I write trying to make something good instead of trying to make it something a particular editor will want.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Teri, great post, it's here if anyone wants to read it.

This all reminds me of something I noticed in Chicago a few weeks ago. We decided to go see the fabulous miniature rooms at the Chicago Art Museum, the Thorn Rooms. There is a fairly new middle grade new series about those rooms, and before we went in, I said to my husband that I'd bet anything they weren't selling the first two books in the series in the gift shop. We looked and they weren't.

Now I don't know if anyone on either side, the publisher or the gift shop, tried to get the book in there, or maybe no one bothered. The gift shop wasn't very innovative, because they had nothing for kids on the Thorne Rooms even though the exhibit was crowded with kids. What better place to sell a fantasy series about kids shrinking down in size to get in those rooms? I would have gone crazy for a book like that as a kid if I'd seen the exhibit. Sad.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the Thorne Rooms so much as a kid! I had a NF book about them -- I wonder what happened to it? I'd love to have it now.

Ink, I didn't think Bridesmaids was funny. The characters were such awful people and every scene and shot was too long. I found the scene in the bridal shop bathroom hilarious though -- I'm clearly way immature.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
My son who is in fourth grade is reading Isl@nd of th3 Blu3 D0lph1ns. Remember that one?

Do I have to try and disguise titles even if I'm not trashing them? Is that a rule? I find it takes me like an hour to do it.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
My son who is in fourth grade is reading Isl@nd of th3 Blu3 D0lph1ns. Remember that one?

Do I have to try and disguise titles even if I'm not trashing them? Is that a rule? I find it takes me like an hour to do it.

You don't need to disguise titles of books you like. I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins. It had a huge impact on me, and I think is one of the reasons I chose to write outdoor adventures.

ETA: I didn't see Bridesmaids. I knew it wouldn't be for me. I love movies, but only certain types, and that one didn't fit.

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I borrowed Island Of The Blue Dolphins from my sister when we were little. Never finished reading it...I don't remember why. Must've just been me being an easily bored boy or something.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Bridesmaids but didn't love it, and yes, waaaayyyy too long. OY. However, there were a few yucks, one being the kissing thing. I also liked Wilson Phillips/Hold On. I was a lame-o who loved their songs. :tongue

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read The Help? Wasn't that rejected like a gazillion times before being published? Now look at it -- best-seller, film, Academy Award-nominated no less. Can you imagine?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Has anyone read The Help? Wasn't that rejected like a gazillion times before being published? Now look at it -- best-seller, film, Academy Award-nominated no less. Can you imagine?

Interesting. I didn't know that about the help. Is there an article on it? Would be a fab read--poverty to riches.

Tri

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
You know, you're right. It was 60X. I looked it up. That ain't s**t -- come to think of it.

You can read about it here, but now I'm just irritated by the article, so forget I mentioned anything...

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Bad news: I'm working on a gruesome case, the sort that burn me out.
Good news: When I'm finished I'm not taking any new cases for 6 months.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
That's awful, Teriann. Still, it is prime material for horror. Like Jack Ketchum and Tobe Hooper pointed out, nothing scary about monsters - it's people that are truly horrifying.

On a lighter note, I'm being a bad American and not watching the Super Bowl. Good time to enjoy some music on Youtube:
* Jesus And Mary Chain - thanks Celia Cyanide!
* Ed Palermo Big Band - thanks Iridium Club promos!
Every thing I need to know about the game I can read on twitter. And I am right on the territorial line between Giants and Patriots territory (I admit I support the Patriots spiritually...but actually watching that stuff is pretty dull. Sorry.)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I love Island of the Blue Dolphins too. So memorable, and nothing like anything I have read before or since.

Which means it couldn't get published today. I'm not even going to say "probably couldn't." I think it just couldn't. A Pittish thought.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
My idea of a gruesome burn-out case is when I'm completely positive my client is innocent but there's nothing I can do on appeal. (An appeal is not a new trial. There has to be an error of law or procedure of some kind.)

Ordinarily I wouldn't even try to raise the issue I'm raising but I am genuinely convinced this one is factually innocent.

ETA: But this is it for awhile. I have some work to finish up, but no new cases for 6 months. Once in a while I say to hubby, "Either I am taking a very long vacation or I am quitting forever." Wisely he says, "Honey, why don't you take a long vacation?"

So I'll be doing lots of writing.

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Teri))) I thought all your clients were innocent. ;)

Monday mornings always start off pittish for me because I read last week's deals in PM. One day, I'll learn my lesson.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
*must stay away from PM*

Morning to all and hugs to go with them. But at least, Mr. Cordero is happy this morning, right? I was rooting for the Giants on behalf of my many Giant-loving friends and relatives. Yay for happy friends and relatives!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It's definitely better for your sanity, Kell.

Glad I'm not at the office today so I don't have to hear the Patriot woes.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
(((Teri))) I thought all your clients were innocent. ;)

Oh, yeah.

But some are more innocent than others.

I shouldn't post this for prof reasons, so don't quote. One witness against him, a child, said he beat her regularly with shoes and belts. But there were never bruises or marks of any kind. Asked why, she said, "the bruises were small so I washed them off with water." she had a strong motive for lying.

She washed them off with water?

Last edited:

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
The most annoying thing about the refresh button is that no matter how many times you hit it, things still don't appear.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Ink, mee too. I JUST finished reading the deals. And then remembered my agent hasn't emailed me since December. Oh well.

I forgot there was a superbowl yesterday. Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.