Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I've had a Facebook account for years now, and I'm still not sure why, except that it means I get to read other people's Facebook pages. Lately I've been getting a ton of friend requests from people I don't know, maybe fans of my books or just Facebook friends of friends, and I'm never sure how to respond. To the extent that I post personal info on the site, I'd feel uncomfortable opening it to strangers. But the whole reason I started the account was to promote my work, so saying no would seem counter-productive. Should I stop posting personal updates and photos, invite everyone in, and use it strictly as a promotional tool? What do other writers do?

Thanks for your input.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know how, but I'm sure there's a six year old who can show you :D

Technology escapes me

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I agree. Normal Facebook pages cannot be used promotionally. Fan pages are designed for people like writers, you can use your pen name, you can promote with them. I have a real name Facebook and a pen name Facebook page and use them for very different things.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
On the sign-in page, at the very bottom, it says something to the extent of: Create a Fan Page. Click that, instead of logging in. It'll walk you through how to do it. :D

I have a fan page, but I have yet to publish it.

Thanks for the info and the offer, Jersey Chick. I need to work on some content for a fan page, then I'll take you up on the offer.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I agree. Normal Facebook pages cannot be used promotionally. Fan pages are designed for people like writers, you can use your pen name, you can promote with them. I have a real name Facebook and a pen name Facebook page and use them for very different things.

My pen name is my real name, so what would I call the alternate page? Would it be "Fans of..." or something else?

And I'm curious about your statement that " Normal Facebook pages cannot be used promotionally." Wny is that?

Thanks!

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
My pen name is my real name, so what would I call the alternate page? Would it be "Fans of..." or something else?

And I'm curious about your statement that " Normal Facebook pages cannot be used promotionally." Wny is that?

Thanks!

Use a screen name or nickname for the private page. Keep the identity separate from the promotional one.
~~~~~~~
To create a fanpage, you have to set up a regular page, with it's own email, and create from there. I've done it at work. Wasn't hard but I don't remember the steps offhand. Keep in mind that if you comment on the fanpage, the name displayed will be from the original page. So if you call it Garbage Dump, it shows that Gargage Dump commented on the fan page.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

I recently started a fan page (as in, yesterday). It has the same name as my normal Facebook profile. I know others who've used the same name for profile and fan page too. Facebook users will know the difference.

I don't think it's impossible to use a basic profile for promotion, but it's difficult. People tend to think of Facebook profiles as being private, so they're hesitant to add them. It's much easier to get someone to click 'like' on a fan page. Plus, fan pages let you add things like a discussion forum, other admins and so forth.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Facebook terms of service just say no promotional use. You can have a fan page under the same name. That way your readers don't have access to the same stuff you share with family and personal friends.

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
change your REAL facebook page to a different name. Eg, your first and middle name, rather than first and last. People who know you will still find you, and people who don't, wont. I've seen more and more people doing this. Especially among people with higher profile jobs --- eg, lawyers, doctors, ect.

T_Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Website
just2moreminutes.blogspot.com
I have a fan page on FB. It's the same name as my real name. But, it says writer after it. You click Like and not Add as Friend, so there is a difference.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I have a fan page, but I have yet to publish it.

Same here. Maybe once I get a book published, I'll go public with the fan page--it woud feel more substantial. Another option is to create a fan page just for the book, but for writers who have more than one book out that could get unecessarily complicated very quickly.

As a Facebook user and fan, I've found it pretty easy to tell the difference between a writer's personal page and their fan page, even if it's under the same name--you can see the fan page without 'fanning' it, for one thing, and the format is a little different ('Like' instead of friend, as somebody said).

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
^^^ This is where I'm at right now. One book coming out and a fan page for another project. I haven't taken the leap to do an author "fan" page too but it's probably just a matter of time. I think my friends/family are sick of seeing updates. ;)

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Facebook terms of service just say no promotional use.

Whoops. Though, I suppose it depends how they define 'promotional use'. On the one hand, yes, I pimp my books, but on the other hand I waffle about attempts at baking and comment on people's pictures of their pet snakes.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by veinglory
Facebook terms of service just say no promotional use.
Most, if not all, of my writer Facebook friends promote their books on their personal pages. Not saying it's kosher. Just noting that it's common practice.

I have a personal page which will probably see the occasional promotional posting. For me, the effort of maintaining two pages is too much, especially since I'm not likely to have that big a fan base. I'm unable to post about one topic, i.e., writing or books--Boring. So the fan page would get neglected, anyway.

But my approach to Facebook is the same as my approach to any online venue. I don't post really personal information online (birthday, phone, address, dates of my next vacation). I figure, if I need to communicate something personal to a good friend, there's the phone, email, or a personal message. I'll usually okay most friend requests. I.e., if I do manage to pick up a fan, they can friend me.

Of course, if I were ever lucky enough to have a real fan base, I'd make a fan page. At this point, it's not worth the effort.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Just to add, a FB fan page is more fun than a blog and I don't mind doing photo dumps and goofy Photoshops. My favorite authors also seem to be more interactive with their FB fan pages. For example -- and NOT promotion -- here's mine:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bear-in-a-Muddy-Tutu/119329718126911

The cover is a drawing by my daughter and not the actual cover, which is still a month or more away.

As to having random people on my personal page, I really don't care. The only crappy things ever posted to my wall were when my old high school friends divorced their wives and started using cell phone cameras in strip joints.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
When I actually have a whole fan of my very own, I'm so going to make myself a fan page! Hah, I can't imagine anything more sad than if I created a page now, and didn't have a single fan... I mean, I'm laughing, but... I'm not laughing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.