Promo in OTHER English Speaking Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
I'm in the U.S. and would like to find ways to better promote myself and my books to the foreign market. i.e. I get very little ebook sales in Canada (I know Canadian authors who kill it in the U.S. market but struggle in their home markets). My U.K. sales aren't too bad but not anywhere near what my U.S. sales are.

Does anybody know if there's a bookbub/ENT/etc. of the U.K. (or other English speaking locales since my books aren't translated)? I know the Internet is world wide, but I'd like to look at resources that cater to those markets. Free or paid.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As the UK is only a fraction of the size of the USA, it's not surprising that your sales are correspondingly lower here. But there are still things you could do to promote your work here without actually coming here.

One thing that I've seen work well is working with other authors: swap blog articles or run promotions for them on your blog and you might well see some reciprocal sales. If you can team up with writers who have a good internet presence then you'll really benefit from their efforts too.

If I were you I'd consider redesigning that website, by the way. It's pretty but you have so many images on it that it takes forever to load for me, and by the time it has loaded I've lost interest in what I'm looking for; and it's a bit difficult to read, too, because of the fancy fonts. Simple might be better.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
One more thing about your website: That grey text against the pale pink background is tough to read if your eyesight is a tad dodgy. Maybe darken it slightly?

But I agree that the site as a whole needs tidying. Not major surgery, just a bit of cleaning up.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the pink against grey: I showed it to my sons earlier, who are colourblind, and they couldn't read it at all.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not colourblind, just getting old. But I was definitely struggling. There was one part I had to highlight to read.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Thanks guys. I'm currently in the process of redesigning it since it was so "erotic" before. I should have my new banner up shortly and will look at the other issues you mentioned. thx! :)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Regarding the pink against grey: I showed it to my sons earlier, who are colourblind, and they couldn't read it at all.

Slightly off-topic, but I hadn't even thought about that as a factor in design. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of colour combinations are difficult for my boys: they both have profound colour-blindness, and have trouble with several colours.

Red on black? No good. Pink on grey or blue? Again, impossible. Hot pink on dark blue or purple? Hopeless. The best way to ensure that they can read your website is to have dark text on a light background, and avoid fancy fonts.

Perhaps I should hire them out as website beta-testers.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
A lot of colour combinations are difficult for my boys: they both have profound colour-blindness, and have trouble with several colours.

Red on black? No good. Pink on grey or blue? Again, impossible. Hot pink on dark blue or purple? Hopeless. The best way to ensure that they can read your website is to have dark text on a light background, and avoid fancy fonts.

Perhaps I should hire them out as website beta-testers.

Hmm, thanks for mentioning that. Brings up a good point. :)

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
This is a really useful site for checking your site in terms of colourblindness. It's also worth googling for accessibility checkers and running your site through a few. I had a bad habit of not bothering with Alt text for images, but the realisation I was making my site harder to use for people using readers shook me out of it.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Oh, to be slightly more on topic - if you can afford the postage, make competitions international. You have no idea how frustrating it is to see amazing competitions and giveaways for books I really want that I can't enter*. If you're books are listed at the Book Depository, it does free worldwide shipping.

*It is even more frustrating when it's apparent the person running it hasn't even thought about it, and puts up "US and Canada only" two weeks in because they've suddenly clocked they're getting international entries.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Oh, to be slightly more on topic - if you can afford the postage, make competitions international. You have no idea how frustrating it is to see amazing competitions and giveaways for books I really want that I can't enter*.

I used to do all my contests international. But it is expensive and I've had to be more cautious about it. i.e. I just sent a book to Canada and had to fill out customs paperwork and shipping was almost the price of the book itself. I just had a big contest, so I kept it international for exposure...and I just found out someone in Australia won. I'm very nervous about shipping now (includes a brand new Coach purse). You have to declare value when when you ship internationally. The reason I didn't mind in the past is because it's a tax write-off either way, but there comes a point where it doesn't make financial sense to ship a prize pack when you can just email a ebooks and gift cards.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Someone in Australia won my last giveaway, too. Be warned that it can take up to 6 weeks for mail to arrive there with standard airmail postage (which was still really expensive). I didn't realize that and it made both me and the winner very nervous!

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Status
Not open for further replies.