William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Ray Manzarek, a founding member of The Doors whose versatile and often haunting keyboards complimented Jim Morrison's gloomy baritone and helped set the mood for some of rock's most enduring songs, has died. He was 74.

Manzarek died Monday in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his family, said publicist Heidi Robinson-Fitzgerald. Robinson-Fitzgerald said his manager, Tom Vitorino, confirmed Manzarek died after being stricken by bile duct cancer.

The Doors' original lineup, which also included drummer John Densmore and guitarist Robbie Krieger, was only together for a few years. But the band has retained a large and obsessive following decades after Morrison's death, in 1971.

The Doors have sold more than 100 million records and songs such as "Light My Fire" and "Riders On the Storm" are still "classic" rock standards. For Doors admirers, the band symbolized the darker side of the Los Angeles lifestyle, what happened to the city after the sun went down and the Beach Boys fans headed home.

Read more: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/publicist-founding-member-doors-dies-74

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ray Manzarek was a brilliant musician who didn't get as much credit as he deserved. I was just recently watching tapes of The Doors performing in Copenhagen with an overhead camera that captured Manzarek playing the keyboard part with one hand and the bass part with the other. No fireworks or showing off. Just really good musicianship. They were a great band.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
he also acted as a fairly traditional band leader, all the more challenging given the amount of improvisation.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I remember an interview with Ray, and he was talking about the group's first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. They'd told the director they'd be doing Light My Fire, to which the director said, "Fine, but we don't want you using the line about getting any higher."

Jim said the line was staying in. The director said it wasn't. They went back and forth for a few minutes, and Jim finally said, "Fine, we'll change it."

Comes the night of the show, and don't you know, boom, he sang the line as written.

As they left the stage the director, nearly screaming with apoplexy at them all, said, "You'll never play the Sullivan show again!"

To which Jim replied with a laconic grin, "Man, we just played the Sullivan show."

And they walked away.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
*Jim sings Ray some of the lyrics to Moonlight Drive on Venice Beach in 1965*

Ray: Those are the best fuckin' lyrics I've ever heard! Let's form a band and make a million dollars!

Jim: That's exactly what I had in mind, all along.

Rock and Roll.

Godspeed, Ray.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, he's what made the Doors sound as much as anyone, including Jim Morrison.

He was also, if I recall correctly, a big influence on the punk rock band X, and had some involvement in their first album.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
This is such sad news. Ray's organ intro to "When the Music's Over" is one of those eternal ultimate grooves, a musical experience that you wish would last forever. And then, after thinking about it, you end up saying to yourself, "It will, it will last forever."