"re-imagining" a novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
This may sound a bit odd, but here goes. A friend of mine has written a science fiction story that he asked me to beta. It's darn good, but something about it niggled at my memory. After doing some checking, I found it's very similar to a novel penned by an SF big name about fifty years ago, a story that I'd read as a boy. When I pointed out the similarities my friend was shocked, and then said he must have also read the original story years ago, and unconciously incorporated some of the themes.

So, the question: should I tell him to trunk his novel, and avoid a charge of plagiarism, or does this fall under what's called "re-imagining," and thus he's free to try to sell it? I'm stumped...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless he copied the writing, I wouldn't worry about it. Most books we write are extremely similar to some book that's already been written, we just don't know it because we either haven't read the book, or have forgotten all about it.

There's certainly nothing wrong with copying ideas, themes, or even basic plot. There are only so many of each, and chances of coming up with a new idea, a new theme, or a new plot are almost nonexistent.

It's the writing that makes something plagiarism, not the themes.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I like callalily61's answer; not only will it avoid anyone who remembers the first story thinking your friend's work is derivative, but it is likely to make the story stronger as he focuses on those elements in more detail.

People who edit magazines are really quick to dismiss work they see as derivative. That's what your friend should be worried about, not charges of plagiarism.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
There are only so many ideas, so it could be entirely possibly that he had the same idea without ever knowing the first story.

If he thinks it's an issue, your friend could do as calla says.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I like callalily61's answer; not only will it avoid anyone who remembers the first story thinking your friend's work is derivative, but it is likely to make the story stronger as he focuses on those elements in more detail.

Derivative and worse gets rejected. Such rejection slips usually read something like, "So and so did it better fifty years ago."

Derivative and better , however, is usually a quick sale.

And, truthfully, derivative is not always bad, anyway. Most of what I read out there, including in SF mags, is derivative of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.