Need help with name, Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Okay brains, I need help naming my haute couture vampire clothier, my name "From Emily, with Blood, was poo poo'd by my editor. Yeah, It is kinda crappy. I want something that is funky and can be shortened (Emily's...) wah. help. Thanks in advance.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Countess de Rouge? Scarlett's? Sunset? Cordon Rouge? Vamp's? Reflections?

Harvey Bloodsucker's? ;-)

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Countess de what's the french term for blood? Sang? Sangria (no that's spanish...) Somethng snappy. What is Cordon Rouge, something red. red chicken?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rouge is French for red.

Mdlle. Nancy might know a better term.

And sangria is Spanish for blood.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fredericks of Transylvania!

Robert Toy

scfirenice said:
Countess de what's the french term for blood? Sang? Sangria (no that's spanish...) Somethng snappy. What is Cordon Rouge, something red. red chicken?

Cordon Rouge is Red Cord, yes and Sang is blood.

Robert Toy

How about?
Madame Flavie pour les dames distinguées de l'obscurité
Madame Flavie for the distinguished ladies of darkness
:Shrug:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lasting Impressions? Marks? Moonlight Becomes You? Crypt? Hey, the Goth kids will love it.

Prick-N-Pay? Bat-Mart? CD/NY (Count Dracula / New York)?

Eternity? Oops, already taken.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria's Crypt? Red Heart?

Vague Relections?

Deleted member 42

Sanguine

It's a multi-lingual pun. See The Blessed American Heritage:

1a. Of the color of blood; red. b. Of a healthy reddish color; ruddy: a sanguine complexion. 2. Archaic a. Having blood as the dominant humor in terms of medieval physiology. b. Having the temperament and ruddy complexion formerly thought to be characteristic of a person dominated by this humor; passionate. 3. Cheerfully confident; optimistic.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old French sanguin, from Latin sanguineus, from sanguis, sanguin-, blood.
OTHER FORMS: sanguine·ly —ADVERB
sanguine·ness, san·guini·ty —NOUN
WORD HISTORY: The similarity in form between sanguine, “cheerfully optimistic,” and sanguinary, “bloodthirsty,” may prompt one to wonder how they have come to have such different meanings. The explanation lies in medieval physiology with its notion of the four humors or bodily fluids (blood, bile, phlegm, and black bile). The relative proportions of these fluids was thought to determine a person's temperament. If blood was the predominant humor, one had a ruddy face and a disposition marked by courage, hope, and a readiness to fall in love. Such a temperament was called sanguine, the Middle English ancestor of our word sanguine. The source of the Middle English word was Old French sanguin, itself from Latin sanguineus. Both the Old French and Latin words meant “bloody,” “blood-colored,” Old French sanguin having the sense “sanguine in temperament” as well. Latin sanguineus was in turn derived from sanguis, “blood,” just as English sanguinary is. The English adjective sanguine, first recorded in Middle English before 1350, continues to refer to the cheerfulness and optimism that accompanied a sanguine temperament but no longer has any direct reference to medieval physiology.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
I like that one. Or Sanguine Harbor (for that preppy look).

Well, if you just don't want to use Prick-N-Pay, that is.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Mazhra Rose.
( Shhh it's someone's name...I saw it on a document. Looked exotic)

She probably pooh poohed 'Emily because the name is used liberally in "Devil Wears Prada" and because you are dealing with fashion she doesn't want your reader's attention to drift. (Oh Emily like in that fashion movie.)

You may want to try the mundane...like 'Kens Couture' or... 'Jack Greene's house of fashion."

I'm PM'ing you somehting.

Status
Not open for further replies.