• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Translations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
How do translation rights work? I've got a copy of "Kelly's 30.000" by Peter de Zwaart sitting on my desk: nice little noir piece set in Suriname and New Jersey. Never translated to English so far as I know, and it would be a pretty straightforward translation job for me. I've got a number of other Dutch thrillers that seem like they would be marketable in English.

So, how would I get the ball rolling? Translate a few chapters, use those to convince De Zwaart to sell translation rights, and then start querying agents in the English-speaking world? Try to obtain the translation rights on speculation, contingent on selling the full translation? Anyone got any experience in this regard?

Firedragon

Johnny Winther Ronnenberg
Registered
Reaction score
Coyright

How do translation rights work? I've got a copy of "Kelly's 30.000" by Peter de Zwaart sitting on my desk: nice little noir piece set in Suriname and New Jersey. Never translated to English so far as I know, and it would be a pretty straightforward translation job for me. I've got a number of other Dutch thrillers that seem like they would be marketable in English.

So, how would I get the ball rolling? Translate a few chapters, use those to convince De Zwaart to sell translation rights, and then start querying agents in the English-speaking world? Try to obtain the translation rights on speculation, contingent on selling the full translation? Anyone got any experience in this regard?

Copyright belong to the author, but the publisher might hold the rights to publications in foreign languages. Ask the publisher whether they want to expand the market into other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.