• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Promotion] Bublish

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Has anyone here heard of this site? Any reviews or thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I want to put my books on there to help attract new readers. Would love to know if anyone has used it yet & your opinions.
Thanks!
www.bublish.com

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I very much doubt that they have many readers.

And I am going to publicize my own sites, not someone else's platform.

Just my 2c. The site lacks both utility and appeal.

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
i put mine up on there. it's free, and i didn't figure it was going to hurt any. but yeah, it's kind of weird. i linked my 'bubble' on facebook, and my friends who clicked on it wrote back saying that they weren't able to see the bubble without logging in first. (so they didn't bother.)

still... free is free. any little bit of exposure i can get.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
From the title of the thread, I was briefly worried that this was going to be some portmanteau of "blog" and "publish". I suppose that would be Blublish, though.

The site itself looks like an overly complex way to package covers and blurbs and spew them across a lot of other websites, rather than tailoring the presentation to the different audiences. I am dubious.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A free way to get your fans to join their site, and possibly annoying them in the process. Sometimes even free things are too expensive.

TheKoB

Smooth Operator
Registered
Reaction score
In general, if you yourself would not use the site or do not deem it interesting enough, do not publish there.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this to BR&BC as I think it's probably a better fit there than in Book Promotion And Advice.

ETA: Done!

I've taken a look at Bublish's first page and it's impenetrable. All it does is tell me that it's a book-promoting site: it doesn't actually promote any books to me! I think I'd have to sign up for an account with them to see anything there. I can't be bothered, and don't see why any readers would either.

Last edited:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I can't view the site at work, so I Googled a little.

It was launched by Kathy Meis and Charles Wyke-Smith in June according to this article. The former also founded Serendipite Studios -- the url is no good but there's a cache -- and the latter appears to be a CSS guru. As for how they make money:

The service will be free for readers and for authors up to a certain threshold. Bublish will offer a premium service for high-volume authors or publishers and also make money through ads and a percentage of book sales, Wyke-Smith explained.
It may have changed since then, but another site states, "Bublish gains money from commissions on the sale of books it does through affiliates like Amazon."

They posted a link to this discussion on their Facebook page.
Bublishers, u helped us out before. This writer is trying 2 decide whether 2 put their books on Bublish. Can u comment?
Personally, I approach claims a site will "revolutionize the way writers share their stories and readers find books they’ll love" with skepticism. I also dislike sites that require I register as I've too many online accounts as it is.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I also dislike sites that require I register as I've too many online accounts as it is.

Same here. I would have explored the Bublish site to learn more, but the registration requirement made it not worth the bother.

- Victoria

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Thank you Old Hack for moving this to the appropiate board! :)

Thank you all for your insight. I did join up just so I can get a better look at the site and see what it offers. I didn't upload my book and don't think I ever will. Mostly for the reasons others have mentioned.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Summary: This site looks like
98%: I want to make money
2%: a social network for readers, that's a shiny new idea! (newsflash, it isn't)

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
This just landed in my inbox:

Hi Jules,
My name is Joy and I'm with Bublish.

A number of Musa Authors have approached us to distribute their books. That said I wanted to reach out to you, too.

We can get your books live and on all the online retailers fairly quickly.

If you're interested in learning more, please reach out to me or [email protected].

We look forward to hearing from you.

A quick look shows a "first month free, no credit card required" promo at the top of the page, so I think they've moved on to monetising the authors directly.

This came in to my public facing email address, so I'm assuming that they went looking for people with books at Musa.

I'm somewhat bandwidth challenged at the moment, so further dissection of this pinata is left for those in need of candy and popcorn.