Hello from an illustrator looking for a writer (co-author)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisemersonnc

Registered
Reaction score
5359385290_23ebd5d7be_m.jpg
5374326540_52300c83fa_m.jpg
5358756807_b1cf160bf3_m.jpg
5181700571_39a9e61ea3_m.jpg

Hello everyone - my name is Chris and I'm an illustrator/designer. I've always wanted to explore writing children's books (fiction) but A.) I'm not a trained writer so I don't know how to start or B.) how to find a co-author/writer to help me and C.) I've been told it's not worth the money so don't bother. However - I'm hoping I can solve [A] and by exploring these forums and as far as [C] goes - honestly I don't care about that - I simply want to explore what's possible regardless of $ right now.

I have one book idea already (possibly a series) I'm chomping at the bit to flesh out but alas... I am not a trained writer so I don't know where to begin (on my own or how to find a co-author/writer partner)!

Some of my more recent illustrative work can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=artwork and iphone&w=29888206@N05

If anyone knows where to point a newbie in my situation feel free to chime in!

Thanks

- Chris

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Picture book writers generally don't choose the illustrator. The publisher chooses.

You may want to consider joining the SCBWI (Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators), a well-respected, international organization. Members are given lots of educational materials, access to the SCBWI website (a forum, kind of like this one), a subscription to the SCBWI Bulletin, the opportunity to attend regional and national conferences and events, etc. It's a great organization (yes, I'm a member).

Also, check out the Writing for Kids section here at AW, particularly the stickies. You'll learn a lot about picture book writing/illustrating over there.

Welcome to AW!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
Kiddie lit is a bizzatch. I took a summer course for it in school (they crunch it into like two months, 3 3hr days per week) and I was expecting easy... just emulate Dr. Seuss, I thought. Not.

Words, rhythm, depth, scope; it's a fine path to walk, but once you learn it, you can write all of your own stuff for sure. Hell, imo, you don't need a co-author. Just post what you write here and we can help w/o a byline.

taratyler

I forget...
Registered
Reaction score
Love your work. Ever think of doing cover art? With so many self-pubbing authors, an awesome cover is key...

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Welcome, Chris, from a fellow artist who'd like to be a writer, too. Your samples are adorable, and I think you're in the right place to find guidance on bringing your writing up to speed with your art. Take a look around, like I'm doing. :)

I also do illustrated books, btw, though not for kids, and light on the writing. I even did a gothic melodrama with no words at all once. I'm a big fan of illustration.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Nice pics, but they're smallish - got larger copies you can show us?

Got a website or blog or something or other? Put it in your sig!

Oh and :welcome:!

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I love your work! what software do you use?

Writing is just like illustrating. The only difference is that you use words to paint your ideas. Start there, have fun and don't listen to the fire fighters (those people who are waiting to douse any spark of excitement you have)

On a side note, the first thing I though of when I saw your work was Adventure game studio its free software that allows you to create your own point and click games in the style of the old monkey islands/space quests etc
that is another avenue you can explore if you would like to tell a story.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

chrisemersonnc

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Wow - thanks for such a warm welcome everyone! Your advice is very helpful and appreciated (as is your kind compliments). I will do my best to play by the rules here! I'm excited to learn the ropes and start figuring things out.

@ave: Mostly using iPhone these days... hoping to move to iPad eventually. Sketchbook Mobile the primary application. My yearly Christmas cards are done with Photoshop and my ancient Wacom tablet.

@Splendad: Thanks for the DIY comments. I've always wondered if I could pull it off myself - very encouraging to hear from someone who has done it himself!

@CACTUSWENDY: Salted and sometimes with a couple packets of Splenda thrown in!

@Smish: Thanks for the forum suggestion!

@brenbradley: I've updated my signature with links/info

@taratyler: I'd love to do cover art. My dream is to participate in the entire book (plot, illustration, mood) but covers would be a fun "one-shot" type thing if I ever became worthy of such a gig.

Last edited:

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there Chris, and welcome to the forums. You could also try and contact some publishers of children's books. Some of them might be looking for an illustator.

Nickie

Status
Not open for further replies.