Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I thought that was because the female had been enchanted, whereas the male had not (he was brought there simply because the Fairy liked having him around).

I could be wrong though, and whether it was pulled off well or not is a matter of reader preference. It worked well for me, but obviously not for every reader.

You could well be right, although I thought they were both enchanted. The overall impression I got was one of general uselessness, though. A shame, as in many ways it's a marvellous book. I loved it, don't get me wrong!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
This feels like the kind of book you want to tell your friends you've read. It might even be something they make kids read in school someday.

It's a labour of love. If you don't love it, don't labour!

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
So would anyone recommend it? I've seen it (always on sale) and have considered buying it 2,000 times. And though I like smaller books (more Garcia Marquez than...say...Robert Jordan), I do sometimes onceinawhile read longer works when the urge strikes me.

AMC

Definitely buy it. I took it out from the library, and I had about $20.00 in late fine fees. I should have just bought the darn thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.