• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas needed for MG urban fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Hello all.

I'm looking for 3 betas for an MG urban fantasy for boys, word count approximately 50k. I would like crit on pacing, flow and charactization. Grammar (specifically comma usage and the errant disembodied body parts) is acceptable as well. The manuscript will be ready for review at the end of April. If possible, I would like the manuscript back by the first week of June. Below is a summary of the novel.

Eleven-year-old Zeke Dakarai dreads his family’s summer trip to Egypt until he finds a strange boy following him after a trip to the history museum. He’s even more surprised when his shadow admits he’s King Tut! Thrilled with his new companion, Zeke thinks Egypt could be fun after all.

The excitement of the pyramids quickly disappears when Zeke mysteriously falls ill. He dismisses his grandma’s warning about the Pharaoh’s curse as superstition. Only when Tut begins seeing Osiris, god of the dead, does Zeke consider there’s more to his sickness than just a cold.

When Ma’at, goddess of balance and order, demands Tut be returned to his body immediately, Zeke realizes they’re running out of time. There’s a price to be paid for bringing the Pharaoh to the present. A life force for a life force. With Zeke fading a little more each day, they must travel to the Valley of the Kings and find a way to reunite Tut’s body and spirit before history is horribly altered and Zeke ceases to exist.

Please contact me either via PM or through this thread. Thank you for your invaluable assitance.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any particular experience with MG fiction, but I'd certainly be willing to take a look. I have plenty of free time at the moment, and could probably give you my critique well before June. However in the interest of fairness, I'd appreciate if you could critique my Sci-Fi medical mystery novella ("Life Support" in my sig), which is ~40k words. If you'd be interested in swapping, let me know, and perhaps we could start with the first few chapters and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.