Anyone here write for Nocturne Bites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceUK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to write a story for Nocturne Bites and was wondering if anyone knew what the editors are looking for at the moment. (Wondering if vampires are still popular or becoming over-used. Maybe I should go for a less common type of paranormal character.) I'd love some advice.

AliceUK

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, so much Xccorpio--just what I needed (especially the podcast)

xccorpio

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, I read somewhere on the HQ site that there will be a pitch contest for Nocturne Bites next year. Basically one must send a blur or synopsis of a story for the line, and the editors choose five writers who will have the opportunity to pitch live on chat for them. Like winning an appointment with an editor.

Just keep checking eHarlequin for the announcement, or their http://twitter.com/HarlequinBooks.

Good luck to you.

Dee Carney

Bringing sexy back
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deecarney.com
You're welcome, I read somewhere on the HQ site that there will be a pitch contest for Nocturne Bites next year. Basically one must send a blur or synopsis of a story for the line, and the editors choose five writers who will have the opportunity to pitch live on chat for them. Like winning an appointment with an editor.

Just keep checking eHarlequin for the announcement, or their http://twitter.com/HarlequinBooks.

Good luck to you.

I'd call this contest a great way to practice your pitching skills, but if that isn't your goal, try subbing the traditional way. The wait time to hear back on a sub isn't horrific by any means.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
And ignore them if they recommend you try Harlequin Horizons.

OTOH, the way things are going with RWA and MWA, having a book with HQ may no longer count as a professional credit.

Check the thread on Bewares and Background checks. 'Tis a sad, sad tale of the suits at HQ shooting themselves in the foot along with their own writers.

No HEA for this one unless someone there wakes and smells the coffee.

AliceUK

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll steer well clear of Harlequin Horizons.

But it would be good to sell to any of the normal Harlequin lines.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If you can sell to one of their lines, that's great, but at present RWA, MWA, and SFWA no longer recognize the a sale to HQ to be a "pro" sale.

To a romance writer, the RWA thing is the most important. They do look out for your rights as a writer--which means standing up to publishers who are looking to screw you over.

It's all about money, and vanity press books make money--but only for the vanity press.

Just a few weeks ago a sale to HQ meant you could join those organizations and others. You were a pro writer and could be nominated for awards, sit at the cool tables at parties, and all the other neat things that come with pro publication.

That's changed, and it is squarely HQ's fault for getting into the sack with a vanity press, and stating they will recommend that vanity press to rejected writers.

It's not enough for some striving writer to get battered by a rejection, now they're going to send them over to that dark alley for a thorough mugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.