• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Rachel Coyne (nee Vater)

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, though, there is a difference btw attentiveness & hand-holding :) The agent you select SHOULD be attentive to your career needs (i.e. be able to advise you as to what's best for YOUR career, be your advocate with your publisher, & address business matters is a timely manner). That's what we pay them for. That 15% isn't just for shopping the book & negotiating contract terms.

Your emotional needs aren't their domain, of course (which is what I would define as "hand-holding"). Friends, partners, & therapists are what we have for that part.

That's what I was trying to get out - you said it much better than I did :)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
ALL legitimate agents are busy agents. It's part of the territory.

As noted elsewhere in the thread, Ms Vater did represent several NYT bestsellers; however, all 3 of those authors (including me) moved on. Handholding was not a factor.

That's very true. There's so much more to agenting than simply reading queries and contracts; it's a lot of work, a lot of time-consuming tasks.

I have little doubt that at least one of her current clients (a friend of both of ours, Melissa! I know you're as excited for her as I am! :)) will be making that list very soon, seeing as how she not only just signed a MAJOR deal, but subrights for that project have sold in, I believe, five or six countries already--several of them on pre-empts.

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
I certainly do wish Caitlin well :) Of course, it's always exciting when an author gets a sale--regardless of the size. It's a bit more fun, at least for me personally, when it's an author I've met :)

That said, "major deal" does not necessarily guarantee that a book will hit the list--just as not having a major deal does not mean the inverse. I hope Caitlin does do well, as I do for every author I've met (I'm a bit Pollyanna that way!)

Fortunately, deal size isn't a deciding factor for the list(s). Two of the bestselling authors who left had "nice deals." Other authors I know (not Folio clients) with significant and major deals have not listed (yet!). The list, as my editor states, is "unpredictable."

I only broached the bestseller detail was bc it was raised in the thread, and the three bestselling authors that she previously represented are still erroneously listed on the Folio website. It was merely a clarification.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I certainly do wish Caitlin well :) Of course, it's always exciting when an author gets a sale--regardless of the size. It's a bit more fun, at least for me personally, when it's an author I've met :)

That said, "major deal" does not necessarily guarantee that a book will hit the list--just as not having a major deal does not mean the inverse. I hope Caitlin does do well, as I do for every author I've met (I'm a bit Pollyanna that way!)

Fortunately, deal size isn't a deciding factor for the list(s). Two of the bestselling authors who left had "nice deals." Other authors I know (not Folio clients) with significant and major deals have not listed (yet!). The list, as my editor states, is "unpredictable."

I only broached the bestseller detail was bc it was raised in the thread, and the three bestselling authors that she previously represented are still erroneously listed on the Folio website. It was merely a clarification.

Yeah...I actually didn't think getting a major deal automatically meant list or that deal size had anything at all to do with lists.

I meant Caitlin got a major deal and a bunch of foreign rights sales right on top of it, which is awesome and says Rachel is doing great things, and Caitlin's book is so amazing I'm confident it will be a huge hit. My comment was more about my utter and complete faith in my good friend and her incredible work than anything else.

Last edited:

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
For some of us very new people to submission land, could you explain what 'list' is? I haven't come across the term yet -- is it on the publisher's side?

Thank you!!

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming I'm reading this right, it appears that Rachel Vater may have joined the list of the non-responders. If that's true, I'm very disappointed. She used to write personal notes on her rejection letters; very kind, helpful notes.

And frankly I don't care how busy any of them are. It is rude and unprofessional to ignore a query or any other professional correspondence, be it a partial,a full or a request for a status update.

Recently I snail-queried an agent who representatives nothing but A-list clients. I'm talking the best of the best and a real veteran in the busness. I never expected to hear anything from her, only queried her because she represents works similar to my recently finished novel.I swear I didn't even think she'd bother responding. Well she did - and I mean responded! She wrote a long personal letter explaining why she was on the fence about requesting a full and thanked me profusely for contacting her. I mean: SHE THANKED ME!!!

I wrote back to plead my case - I didn't agree with some of her reasoning. And lo and behold, she wrote me another long letter, again a rejection of the concept, but a very kind and careful explanation for why she didn't believe she could sell it. I love this agent. I adore this agent. I want her to be my agent. And with that in mind, I have read a slew of her authors and am completing a new novel with her in mind as I write. Now before you all panic, af course I'll query zillions of other agents. But if this agent were to represent me, I would feel as if I'd died and gone to heaven, this despite her reputation as a very tough task master. And no, I'm not going to mention her name because this post is too specific. I don't want to take a chance she'll read it and think I've lost my mind.

I guess the point is: if this very busy and successful agen can take the time to write two long responses to an unpublished writer, then so can everyone else. No one is that busy. No one should feel that self-important. Because they are not!

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
thanks Fionn! I will do that! haha, it's so difficult to get the first book published XD

Hurray for another 18-year-old author! :)

Yeah, I've pointedly left my age out of all my query letters. I haven't even mentioned that I'm in college, actually. I want my book to be accepted based on its quality, not because of me myself.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Assuming I'm reading this right, it appears that Rachel Vater may have joined the list of the non-responders. If that's true, I'm very disappointed. She used to write personal notes on her rejection letters; very kind, helpful notes.
I know she did for me, when I last submitted to her in the middle of 2007.

Austenlover

Non responding

Usually I just lurk here but I wanted to respond to some threads about Rachel being a non-responder. I was a client of hers for a year and in the beginning she was great. In the last 4-5 months though, I've sent her multiple emails and never heard back from her. It was enough to where I severed ways with her.
I know I'm not the only one to experience this as well. And I'm not surprised that 3 of her NYT authors left.
It's like she fell off the face of the earth!
Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.
It's been very frustrating to say the least.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Wow, Austenlover, that doesn't bode well for business when an agent treats a client that way. I'm sorry to hear you had to experience this and had to severe your relationship. Thanks for sharing.

I've queried Rachel on 2 books since August and I've yet to hear on either and I don't hold much hope that I ever will.

emandem

Registered
Reaction score
ok, that's disturbing. That would be my worst nightmare--to finally be agented, and then the agent won't even respond to emails. I'd rather the agent at least contact me to say "hey, I've tried but I just can't sell your book," instead of a dead silence on the other end. Not good. Forget not good--not professional...

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't the only agent from Folio that I've heard this about. Their other two female agents who accept romance have a bad rep for not responding too. Even agents who have ny times best sellers on their list can be bad agents, especially for newbies. Sadly, we never really know how an agent is until we sign with them.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible that they're just busy?

I think you guys might be jumping the gun a bit.

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
no, its not possible. This is coming from multiple sources. Rachel has had ny times best sellers leave her. Two people who were/are with Rachel that i know not only sent her multiple emails, but also called and left messages and she didn't respond. As writers we're so eager to get an agent, that we'll put up with anything. But in reality there are agents out there who are great. And just because an agent is well known, doesn't mean they're going to care. Believe me, there are agents who actually respond to their emails and calls. Best thing you can do is take advice from people who know that agent, people who have been with that agent. And thats what the point of this site is, a place to go to learn the truth. And with agents, a lot of times the truth aint pretty. lol

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I'll second that Irs isn't jumping the gun -- I've also heard from multiple (good friends) people that responsiveness is a serious problem with this agency (and especially with Rachel). Doesn't mean people shouldn't query her, but go in with your eyes open!

Austenlover

Jumping the gun

As far as trying to contact her, I've done it all--I'd sent her over 10 emails in the course of 4 or so months--and from various email accounts, thinking maybe she wasn't getting them.
I also called and left about 3 messages.
I think it just comes down to the fact that some agents are really good about communication and others don't care.
This time around, I'm going to stress to potential agents that if communication isn't their strong point, I'm not interested.
It's very true--I was thrilled when I landed Rachel and never imagined I'd be thinking the way I am now.
Sad but true.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pure conjecture on my part, but this sounds like a personal or health issue to me. I've dealt with Rachel in the past. She responded quickly, and was absolutely lovely. Reading up about her back then, the consensus seemed that clients and queriers alike adored her. In the past several months, that tune has changed dramatically.

If something is going on with her, it's certainly a big, big problem that she hasn't disclosed anything about it to her clients, or at least make sure they're otherwise taken care of. Otherwise, the shift in feedback about her seems odd. There's another thread somewhere about an agent (specializes if SF- forget the name) who also dropped off the face of the earth. Turned out she'd been in a horrible car accident.

Of course, that agent was independent, and Ms. Vater's a part of a larger agency that could back her up if necessary. And, as I said, it's all conjecture.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to second what Giant Baby said. When I queried her (before she joined this agency) she took the time to make some very helpful suggestions to improve my query though she had no interest in the book at all. She also replied within a couple of weeks. People just don't change that much. There must be something up.

*Not* that I blame those for ending their representation agreements with her one bit. At the end of the day, the agent/client relationship is a business relationship, and whatever may or may not be going on with her, you need to do what is necessary for your career.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
*Not* that I blame those for ending their representation agreements with her one bit. At the end of the day, the agent/client relationship is a business relationship, and whatever may or may not be going on with her, you need to do what is necessary for your career.

True enough. However, when you have big name clients leaving an agent, topped with sudden no responses from queries and the like and zero word on what's going on, it doesn't look right. As others have said Rachel is part of an agency; you can't tell me that if she was experiencing health issues they wouldn't know. And if they knew, it's unreasonable for them not to put up a notice or something to indicate this. It just doesn't reflect well on her for there to be this silence when there really is no reason for it. Unexpected things happen, and they're totally understandable. And as much as I'd like to give Rachel the benefit of the doubt, it's really hard to. People do change.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
All of this seems very strange to me, especially for a major agent and agency. Beyond the as yet non-bestselling authors she and the agency handles, I can't imagine they would let bestselling authors move on simply because of a lack of communication. But don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for Rachael or Folio, only suggesting that there may be more here than meets the eye. My suggestion to those now with Folio who have suffered undue silence and are ready to pack them in, is to first call and email the head of the agency, explain the problem, and ask what's going on. Can't hurt and you may get some valuable info.