• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Rachel Coyne (nee Vater)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Fionn,

She only had your query for about 10 days (if she's not on vacation). If her guidelines say 4 weeks for a reply, I suggest you wait about 6 weeks.

sunnyxlove

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Sunnyxlove, I'm 22, which isn't that far off from 18. LOL. Actually, that would differ upon any given opinion, but anyways...

I would leave age out of a query, as well as any mention about having no background. While there are some people who like people young, there's also some agents who feel a bit wary for young writers, thinking that they don't yet have enough potential for the publishing industry.

thanks Fionn! I will do that! haha, it's so difficult to get the first book published XD

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the tips, guys. Unfortunately, I already sent her another email. *wince* Argh!

Sunnyxlove: LOL, ain't that the truth, HAH! :D

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
congrats toni! I love Rachel Vater and would like for her to represent me one day.

I was wondering if you can give me some advice. I am only 18 years old and have no professional background in literature. I have written several manuscripts, but haven't considered publishing any of them until now. How can I convince an agent to consider my work when I don't have an impressive background? Will my age effect anything?

Thanks and hope to see your book come out soon!

Thanks! We came very close to a sale on Round 1 so now she's getting ready for Round 2--hope we have better luck!

Age won't matter if the manuscript is good. I wouldn't mention your age when you query. and an impressive background is nice, but once again, unless it catches the agent/editor's eye, it won't affect the outcome.

Good luck!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Anyways, here's a question of my own:

Judging from what people have said about Ms. Vater's quick turnabout with queries, I've queried her on the 15th this month, but I haven't got a reply yet...should I give it another few weeks, or suppose it got vacuumed into her spam and resend the query?

i know she's backed up w/queries and edits, and she was having problems with her email a few weeks ago, so i'd just send a polite nudge. Unfortunately, that's the downside of an agent who's popular.

JennyCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennycoonpeterson.com
It's been over a month since I e-mail queried Rachel Vater. Anyone know is she's just way bogged down right now? I queried in the beginning of August before I realized that was a mistake, so I'm thinking of re-querying her. I'd really, really love to hear back something (just got my form rejection from Barry Goldblatt today, and it sucks, but is good to just know for sure)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Jenny - I also queried Rachel a month ago and haven't heard back. So, I'm thinking she may be backlogged.

Also, I got my query R from Barry G. today too. He's an awesome agent, and I would have loved to get even the tiniest bit of interest from him.

JennyCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennycoonpeterson.com
Yeah, Goldblatt was the one I wanted most, but I'm sure he is SO busy with all his great clients. Hopefully we'll all hear something from Rachel Vater soon!

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
I queried her in April, did the "requery after 2 months" thing she suggests on her blog in late June, and wrote it off as a "no response means no thanks" query in August.

kap

Last edited:

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. I queried on Jan 29th, resent a query in May but I didn't hear anything both times so I assumed it was a no response rejection.

JmHaBjW

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a partial with her since April. No response either. I'm not ready to give up and have been sending her status queries every few months, but haven't gotten a response :( Any news on what she is up to these days?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a rejection from her yesterday for a query sent on 9/18. She says to requery if you don't hear anything for eight weeks.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I just got a rejection from her yesterday for a query sent on 9/18. She says to requery if you don't hear anything for eight weeks.

Wow, I wonder if she reads her queries in order of receipt. I queried her on 8/31 and I still haven't heard anything. I plan to requery on the 8 week mark if I haven't heard back.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I wonder if she reads her queries in order of receipt. I queried her on 8/31 and I still haven't heard anything. I plan to requery on the 8 week mark if I haven't heard back.

I think she said once on her blog that sometimes she'll set aside queries that sound intriguing and give them a second look later, so maybe that's good news for you!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know she is at a writer's conference in Surrey, Canada this week so that accounts for some of the backlog. If it's any consolation, I'm a client of hers and I've been waiting weeks for her to start Round 2 of subs.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I know she is at a writer's conference in Surrey, Canada this week so that accounts for some of the backlog. If it's any consolation, I'm a client of hers and I've been waiting weeks for her to start Round 2 of subs.

Not exactly confidence inspiring. Just sayin'.

JmHaBjW

Registered
Reaction score
I met her at a conference in April and she seemed genuinely interested in my novel. I was really impressed with her. After the first status query I sent her I recevied a reply saying that she would get right to it, that it had gotten buried in her e-mail but didn't here back. Should I just take it as a rejection?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I think she said once on her blog that sometimes she'll set aside queries that sound intriguing and give them a second look later, so maybe that's good news for you!

I hope that's the case! Thanks for the tip.