• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I was without a computer for about 2 weeks, and totally unable to work on my MS at all (I got lots of poetry and ideas down, so it wasn't a total waste, but still . . . )

And now that I'm back on a computer, and looking at my manuscript, I can just feel a total disconnect from it. Not sure how to pick up the scene where I left off; I just feel like I've lost all of that momentum I had, with working on it every day.

Any suggestions or help for getting back into it? I've already lost so much time; I can't afford this block!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Hemingway had this problem, even recorded his thought process in one of his non-fiction works. "You have always written before, and you will write again now. All you have to do is write one true sentence."

I've used this many times when I get stuck. Write one true sentence about the plot, a character, the setting, life in general, or something in your story world (like an item in a fantasy story), etc.

If you haven't described your setting enough, try that. If you haven't used a scene or a chapter to follow a particular character, try that.

I'm assuming this is your first draft, so it doesn't matter what you do. You can fix it or delete altogether, but right now it sounds like you just want to resume churning out words again.

Do you have an outline for this MS? If so, take a look at where you left off and mentally prep yourself on how you wanted the rest to pan out. "Oh yeah, this guy is supposed to say something to that guy, and that sets up the next plot point."

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love that particular Hemingway quote and have used that method more than once myself. Write the truest thing you know, and go from there.

It's amazing how well that works, kind of like Draino.

:D:D:D

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Just write. The best way to get the momentum going again is to make yourself take those steps and move forward. Reread the MS, then give where you left off (or the next scene you know is coming) your best shot. The first few bits may not be the greatest writing, but that's what editing or rewriting is for later. For now, just write. You'll reconnect with your characters and get back on track. It just takes a bit of metaphorical jump-starting.

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
If I find myself losing momentum, or unable to get into "the zone", I go back and reread some of my favorite scenes from my MS. Maybe just spending a few hours reading your own words will help you get back to that place?

Kolta

Registered
Reaction score
If I find myself losing momentum, or unable to get into "the zone", I go back and reread some of my favorite scenes from my MS.

I do this as well. Revisiting something that has always had the biggest draw can help break down that disconnect from the work as a whole. It could rekindle whatever kind of drive was behind the writing in the first place.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Re-read it, then just write. Even if it is a scene you are not sure you will keep, writing it could lead you to where you do want to go.

Don't let yourself freeze up looking at the pages. I imagine someone somewhere has compared it to being a regular at a gym, loving the exercise, but having had a few weeks of a break. Trying to go back, pushing yourself to exercise again, can feel like you will never get back into it. It can be hard to do it.

But just do it- and you will soon feel back into it, your story. And all the excitement and adrenaline rush for the characters and story, just as in exercising, will come right back to you (presuming it was there before).

You can do it!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
4th-ing rereading it.

I typically do that to refresh myself on my writing, the story, and also to do some editing on the way.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. :)

It was difficult starting, but I got nearly 1000 words out today. So something started going okay again.

Status
Not open for further replies.