If I were a nobody, where would I start to be somebody?

doingitwritenow

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Sir or Madam:
To Whom It May Concern:
Or Is There Anyone Out There:
Or Am I Alone In Feeling Like I Have No Business Writing:

I should state I wrote most of my book in progress with my baby on my lap and my three year old tugging on my typing hand much of the time while tucked into a practically non existent corner of my bedroom that also doubles as an office/gym/playroom.
Though I am not asking for your sympathy; I think I'm asking for an assurance. Another voice to assure me I am not alone in feeling alone.
And I guess I feel alone because I cram in stolen moments when I can since no one around me knows I am writing. It seems like an unrealistic career goal and I feel ashamed to share it.
Before I had actually sat down to begin my book, I started guitar lessons... it could only help right? It helped with some life insight, but it didn't produce much in the way of page numbers. Shocking, I know.
So I'm trying to focus.
If I were a nobody, where would I start to be a somebody?
Bingo. How To/ self help book. So I ordered one off from Amazon.
I chose it because it promised details and insight into the world of writing. It said it was a must have “how to” on write, publish and market a book.
What a big, cruddy mistake that was.
In the first few chapters, it confirmed my worst fears.
I don’t know anyone, I hadn’t done anything worthy and who was I, one of millions, to think I should write anything besides my grocery list?
Thankfully, it wasn’t too much of a blow since I am naturally skeptical of myself; and therefore had already accepted these things to be true.
The hard part was reading it there, in black and white, all the confirmation I needed. You there, the "in the know" telling me AND my misgivings, that we were right all along.
Truth is, I don’t really have any uber-impressive reviews from glossy magazines, an “in” to the business or even a close friend’s opinion to add (apparently these are all things you WILL need if you are looking for a successful career.)
I have a point although long winded; I am looking for like minded souls who feel like they got no business doing this but they are doing it anyway because it feels right.
And I personally believe we would never reach our destination if we all stopped to throw stones at every dog that barked at us along the way...
Apparently you have to make connections to meet the barking dogs. I hope I've come to the right place...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, writing aside, I think you already are somebody but just don't know it yet. Society tends to think of a full-time mother as "just-a-mother." Haha, just wait. All that winds down and ends. Five minutes after retiring from the big career, nobody remembers them. Your kids will always remember you. Now that I'm older, I fail to see anything else I've done or most other people I know have done that I think is more important. Degrees, jobs, writing, nope. Raising my kids well is it. You already are somebody. JMHO and no disrespect intended to the child-free. :)

As far as writing, if you need publishing credits to boost your confidence, my advice is buy a subscription to duotrope.com, and also, start with flash fiction. It's quick and plenty of the pubs aren't that hard to get. Get your fifty posts here so you can post your stories in SYW (Share Your Work) and let other writers help you polish them before you send them out. Good luck.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Welcome, doingitwritenow. You'll find a range of writers here, from those just starting out to those who've been working at it for years. This a mob who know how you feel, because they've been through it or are going through it now.

So grab yourself a coffee, put it where the kids can't reach it and make yourself at home!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the 1%.

You're more of someone and better off than the 99% of people who say they want to write a story and don't.

In the market nowadays, you don't really need to know anyone to get in. Your agent should know people, and by luck and effort on your part you'll make way.

I have to disagree with Fruitbat about something. doingitwritenow, if you're wanting to write novels, I suggest to focus on writing those and not short fiction (and the other way around if you want to do short fiction). Short and long fiction look similar, but have different skill sets; practicing one to "better" yourself for the other isn't a good expenditure of your time, IMO.

doingitwritenow

Registered
Reaction score
thank you for responding. This at least verifies I am not alone at least in the literal sense. I also appreciate the advice.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To clarify, I said flash fiction is good for getting some quicker credits if you feel like credits will boost your confidence. I did not recommend or even mention anything about it beyond that.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, doingitwritenow! :welcome:

AW is, imo, the best online writing resource and community out there, free or paid. There are all types of writers here, from aspiring to professional. Just remember, every professional writer was once aspiring to write (and i think almost every writer, at every level, has days or weeks or months where they fight writing self doubt). There are many, many examples here on AW of writers who've sold books and made careers, and the great majority of those had no connections within the industry, no special 'in'. They just worked hard, and wrote for the love of it.

Speaking of love, i think you'll love it here! See you around the boards :)

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
To clarify, I said flash fiction is good for getting some quicker credits if you feel like credits will boost your confidence. I did not recommend or even mention anything about it beyond that.

Perhaps I should have said "interject" rather than "disagreed". Oh, well, sorry 'bout that.

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, DoingitWriteNow, you totally posted the thoughts I had today, and quite a bit more eloquently than I could have. Today my self-confidence has plummeted to the depth of worm tunnels, and I feel overwhelmed. :) Tomorrow will be a better day. Glad you are here, and welcome.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

klewis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
onpopcornandmovies.blogspot.com
Doingitwritenow- Welcome and mom to mom- I have plenty of time to write the day away and now miss those little ones hanging off of me.
All in good time. Enjoy those kiddos- polishes your skills, reach out online, create a blog with your unique content- there are women all over the world with your hopes and dreams, trying not to feel lonely.
You might not be able to do IT all right now- but you can do a lot right now to get ready-
I'm months away from sending my novel out- took me about ten years to write it- to be ready to write it and now I can with no regrets- but boy do I miss not having little ones around

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. We all feel like that from time to time.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and :welcome:!

I keep wanting to say "You're wrong!" but I certainly don't want to start out by beating you down and making you second-guess yourself even more!

But what I really think you should be skeptical of is any self-help book, especially one that talks about "connections."

Presuming you're writing fiction (it's not clear that you are, but I'm assuming), the main connection you need is a good story that grabs the reader/editor/agent, and know the proper way to get it in front of those peoples' eyes.

At least that's what they say in other parts of this forum...

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Hello doingit...

Are you me about 20 years ago?

No internet. No author friends. No idea how to submit a story, though I was arrogant enough to know I could write a story.

Found an old magazine belonging to my aunt. Copied down the address inside. Sent a story. Sold a story.

No training in writing. No mentor or tutor to help me. No support from family, friends or colleagues. (Colleagues smiled down at me, oh, she thinks she's a writer? How cute.)

I am now just a short story writer, but working on a few novels. I'm happy where writing has taken me so far - but my advice now to you is yes, lots of us have been right in your spot. Our successes are varied, but our satisfaction in what we do, immense.

Write what you can, where you can. Just fifteen minutes a day? Cherish it and write. An hour or more? Paradise, and write. Carry a notebook around, jot down ideas in it, snippets of dialogue, a description that just came to you which you don't want to lose.

You can do it. Have faith.

jaksen

Last edited:

BC11

Possibly related to R2-D2
Registered
Reaction score
Keep your chin up :)

Aaron Abbott

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! I totally know the sensation of feeling alone and like a nobody. I also relate to the feeling like you need to steal moments here or there to write. I have a 5 AM to 5 PM job (including commute), then family wants to spend time with me when I get home (which is a good thing, but not helpful to writing).

I take encouragement from a friend of mine who started writing when she couldn't get back to sleep at 2 AM after her first child. In her latest book, she writes in the acknowledgement section that writing has been stealing moments here and there during an otherwise busy day. She started writing because she enjoyed writing.

When you started guitar lessons, did you plan on making that a career? Did you plan on making an album to break into the top 40? My guess is no, taking the guitar lessons is a way to help you with the journey of life and not the final destination.

Why couldn't writing be the same thing? Why keep it secret from others? If writing is something you do because you enjoy writing, because it helps with this journey we call life, because it makes you a better person, why hide? And if the writing ends up being a career, so much the better.

I am a patent attorney by day, so I also receive a great deal of skepticism from some friends and family when I say I'm writing a novel. I would be very very surprised if I ever make enough money writing to allow me to not get up at 4:30 AM to get ready for my "normal" job.

But I also receive a great deal of encouragement from many others. I actually have little to lose, other than the time I have enjoyed putting words onto the page. I have enjoyed writing since I was 16. It has been many years since I took time to write and I find I am enjoying the process.

If you need to keep your dream of writing as a career a secret, that makes sense. But perhaps you do not need to keep writing as something you enjoy a secret. Then when you become a successful NY Times best selling author, you can surprise your friends and family in real life.

Last edited:

doingitwritenow

Registered
Reaction score
thank you Aaron :) I guess I hide it because I know how people are. I am open and encouraging to people trying new things but that doesn't mean everyone around me is.

I haven't learned the fine art of being my own cheerleader (you can't see me but I'm playing the world's smallest violin right now.)
I struggle with people are who over confident and arrogant, and being around people who take themselves too seriously or think too highly of themselves. It actually gives me the willy's.
I think because of this pet peeve of mine, I've never wanted to appear to be "one of them" but in the meantime, I've done myself a disservice. I think a bit of self confidence, at this point, would serve me well.

Despite this, at 32, I am putting pen to paper (well, fingers to keys) and it feels right. So I think Ill keep at it even if it means I am doing it alone.

Or in this case, with the help of people like you and your encouraging words :)

Last edited: