• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[eZine] Bent Masses

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
Quick question. I have a story that was just accented at Bent Masses. I'm happy but cautious to since this is my first acceptance ever of anything. The editor's name is Jessie White.

two questions:

1. Is this a good place for my short story to have a home?

2. Will I get author's credits here.

http://bentmasses.com/

alvin123

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
I've never had an acceptance before. Please look at this thread. (especially short story writers)

Okay, so this is my very first acceptance. (Mind Control)

Editor Jessie White, for Bent Masses gave it a shot. He said the story was VERY entertaining.
http://bentmasses.com/

two questions:

1. Should I pat myself on the back?

2. This can count as my first true credential, right? (Ignoring the fact that I published on smashwords and lulu)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a paid acceptance?

No matter, yes you should feel good that you got accepted, paid or otherwise.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to ask a mod to merge this post with your other one or vise versa. They both are related and ask the same basic questions...

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it counts as a 'credential' other than him saying he liked it a lot. What kind of credential were you looking for? I may not understand your question.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I think Alvin is asking does this count as a professional publishing credit. One he can mention in Query letters and such over his self publishing ventures...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
About Us

Bent Masses was created to show case great works of fiction from both known and unknown authors. It is tirelessly run by Jessie White who edits, markets, and designs the site. Many of her co-workers before she was taken over by pod people. However, I assure you, she is simply sleep deprived.
Given the conflict of interest of the editor publishing her own work, the level of editing on display, and the 4theluv nature of the venue, I doubt any pro mag would consider this a credit.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I think Alvin is asking does this count as a professional publishing credit. One he can mention in Query letters and such over his self publishing ventures...

I checked out the website. There seem to have been five issues of Bent Masses put out so far, and the submission guidelines don't mention payment. I tried reading one of the stories but stopped when the floor made an abrupt switch from cement to dirt.

Alvin - if you do decide to let this website feature your work, you're better off not mentioning it.

alvin123

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
I checked out the website. There seem to have been five issues of Bent Masses put out so far, and the submission guidelines don't mention payment. I tried reading one of the stories but stopped when the floor made an abrupt switch from cement to dirt.

Alvin - if you do decide to let this website feature your work, you're better off not mentioning it.

okay. So does this mean --even though she doesn't ask for the rights -- I can't get published elsewhere?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
okay. So does this mean --even though she doesn't ask for the rights -- I can't get published elsewhere?

You'd have to check with someone who knows about reprint rights regarding articles.

Whether or not you would get published elsewhere also depends on the quality of your work and the standards of whatever other places you're looking at.

alvin123

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
You'd have to check with someone who knows about reprint rights regarding articles.

Whether or not you would get published elsewhere also depends on the quality of your work and the standards of whatever other places you're looking at.

okay. Thanks. I'll give it a bit more research and give it another try.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
As soon as it's published on-line (or in print), you've given away first publication rights whether they've specifically asked for them or not. Other places might accept your story as a reprint.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
From the looks of it, it's a non-paying hobby market that started up this year. It's not something you'd include as a publishing credit in a letter. And it will take first rights, which means any further sales will be reprints (it's generally not that easy to sell stories as a reprint, unless the first printing was somewhere awesome).

The main reason to submit to a market in this situation is because you particularly like the market.

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I've just found this thread. I should really watch this board more often. As far as the first electronic rights, yes we do require those, but because this market is brand new it would be easier to reprint it. Authors have the right to contact me if they publish the piece with another venue. I will take the piece they wrote off the site.

Bent Masses is new, and I am running this site solo. I hope to raise the level of work that is published, but that takes time and money. The largest reason I publish my own work on the site is to flesh out the issues. I hope to remove my work from the site once submissions start coming in more often.

Also, in the future I hope to pay writers for their stories. At the moment that date seems far off, but I do hope to pay writers at some point.

alvin123

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
Hello, I've just found this thread. I should really watch this board more often. As far as the first electronic rights, yes we do require those, but because this market is brand new it would be easier to reprint it. Authors have the right to contact me if they publish the piece with another venue. I will take the piece they wrote off the site.

Bent Masses is new, and I am running this site solo. I hope to raise the level of work that is published, but that takes time and money. The largest reason I publish my own work on the site is to flesh out the issues. I hope to remove my work from the site once submissions start coming in more often.

Also, in the future I hope to pay writers for their stories. At the moment that date seems far off, but I do hope to pay writers at some point.

If you don't mind, I could write some stories for this site, maybe one per issue. Of course, it's still up to you to accept or reject it, but I'm always up for writing. (If I get the chance, I'll let writers and readers know of this site.)

jimr

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is a legitimate publication credit, and you should be very proud. Some of the negative responses to your question seem to come from frustrated, supercilious writers. Ignore them. Pat yourself on the back, brag a bit, and get 99 more stories published.
-Jim

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Yes, it is a legitimate publication credit, and you should be very proud. Some of the negative responses to your question seem to come from frustrated, supercilious writers. Ignore them. Pat yourself on the back, brag a bit, and get 99 more stories published.
-Jim

We're not saying what we're saying because we hate the market or we're frustrated, etc, etc. There's nothing wrong with submitting to non-paying hobby markets. I've done so before when I've liked the market, and the work is listed on my full bibliography.

But that's not what Alvin was asking. He wants credits to include in query letters to agents. This is not a market you'd include in those credits. It doesn't mean the market is bad. It just means agents aren't interested in knowing about it in a query letter.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Not supercilious, but realistic. The hard, cold truth is that we send stuff to hobby markets as a labor of love, because we enjoy the publication and have an emotional stake in it. And we're not ashamed to cite it in our bibliographies. But to become an attention-getter citation, it has to come from a market large enough or respected enough to be an industry standard.

Otherwise, it's not worth the effort to mention it to an agent, and may well damage our case.

I'm looking at Bent Masses, as something fun. But I have to try some bigger markets first, if I want to leverage them as publishing credits.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Did not survive '12.