Gun Appreciation Day

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
http://gunappreciationday.com/

It's not just January 19th, it's Gun Appreciation Day! A brand new...holiday...I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, 2nd amendment supports, gun people, and those sort have declared the 19th to be the official Gun Appreciation Day.

Of course, it's just prior to Inauguration Day for President Obama's 2nd term. Coincidence?

It's also 72 hours before MLK Day.

So poor planning or do you think they forgot about MLK and how he died?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also 72 hours from the anniversary of Roe vs Wade, and on the very anniversary of Klaus Barbie's surrender, Cuba's recognition of Israel and Rouen's surrender to Henry V. These days I try not to read too much into stuff. If it is meant to coincide with the inauguration, it's to be a political show of support for gun rights. I'm no double-barreled gun rightser nor gun grabber, but I really, really doubt there was much more thought going into it than that.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
http://gunappreciationday.com/

It's not just January 19th, it's Gun Appreciation Day! A brand new...holiday...I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, 2nd amendment supports, gun people, and those sort have declared the 19th to be the official Gun Appreciation Day.

Of course, it's just prior to Inauguration Day for President Obama's 2nd term. Coincidence?
I thought it was only crazy right-wingers (and liberal 9/11 truthers) that went for conspiracy theories.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I'm officially calling this "Hold your gun and cry" day. "Waaaaa, don't take away my gun. Mama told me I could have my gun forever, and that there'd always be a white president. Now everything's all messed up!" Waaaaa, waaaaa, waaaaa.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
This seems at odds with the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" mantra. Are we only appreciating guns when then kill bad guys or save lives? Or we also appreciating them when they take out a room of five year olds?

Would make more sense to call it "responsible gun owners appreciation day" and use it to teach about gun safety and awareness, etc etc. But no, that would be too practical.

Anyway, according to the site in the OP, they deliberately planned it to coincide with inauguration. Tacky.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The Onion is good today.

SAN DIEGO—Following the events of last week, in which a crazed western lowland gorilla ruthlessly murdered 21 people in a local shopping plaza after escaping from the San Diego Zoo, sources across the country confirmed Thursday that national gorilla sales have since skyrocketed.

“After seeing yet another deranged gorilla just burst into a public place and start killing people, I decided I need to make sure something like that never happens to me,” said 34-year-old Atlanta resident Nick Keller, shortly after purchasing a 350-pound mountain gorilla from his local gorilla store. “It just gives me peace of mind knowing that if I’m ever in that situation, I won’t have to just watch helplessly as my torso is ripped in half and my face is chewed off. I’ll be able to use my gorilla to defend myself.”

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Guns owners are not in any real danger of more restrictions, anyway. Nothing will pass in the House, and anything with substance will get filibustered in the Senate, and ultimately, not even brought to a vote. Possibly the only thing that would even have a chance is to close the ridiculous loophole on background checks at gun shows. And I doubt that could pass this Congress.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
This seems at odds with the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" mantra. Are we only appreciating guns when then kill bad guys or save lives? Or we also appreciating them when they take out a room of five year olds?

Would make more sense to call it "responsible gun owners appreciation day" and use it to teach about gun safety and awareness, etc etc. But no, that would be too practical.

I agree. I could get behind a responsible gun owners appreciation day. But gun appreciation day is strange and a little silly.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
At least they didn't declare it "Take Your Weapon to Work" Day. :D