Treadmill Desks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
Hope this is the right place to post.

Extreme scariness. Read on the BBC News site that sitting at your desk all day can be very bad indeed. Even more bad than that, in fact. Apparently the new thing in ergonomics is the treadmill desk, or at least a standing desk.

I sit on my bum all day at work, apart from making lots of tea, then come home and sit in front of a computer. For the last few years, I've tried obsessively to get the perfect budget ergonomic setup. Last year I bought a new desk and yet another chair ... and a couple of weeks ago another chair again and a saddle stool. Saddle stools are superb for posture - can highly recommend them. Not sure how comfortable they are for prolonged male use. ;)

But now I've spent the last two days sweating over whether to buy an electric sit-stand desk, an iGo standing desk, risers for the feet of the desk I already have, sturdy risers for my computer and keyboard, even a couple of chopping boards with legs (!) for my keyboard and to support the heavy weight of my computer. The last seemed briefly like a really good idea. Finally employed a couple of cardboard boxes, tilted my Mac back as far as it will go, and ordered an underdesk treadmill and stepping machine. Now all that remains is to find properly ergonomic cardboard boxes.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I find it to be a stupid idea that wants to cash in on people who go nuts over crap they'll never use.

If you're sitting for extended periods of time, take a walk outside for god's sake. I'll sit down for 5 hours to write, and walk around for thirty minutes to get my legs moving and ideas flowing.

Kittens, please don't buy into all the dribble you hear on the news. Are you feeling pain after sitting for extended periods of time? If so, go for a walk. After a month of walking breaks, do you still have the same pain? Then consult a doctor. If you aren't feeling pain, you don't need to do anything. Pain is a warning feature! Some of the most idiotic things that is going on is self-medication through media and advertising trying to sell you new and improved snake oil.

I believe Hemingway stood while writing. I did it for a while (I was working and the only place my laptop could be was on top of the tool bench), and can't complain. I do find it better to sit in solitude without movement because I can focus better.

Deleted member 42

I actually know a lot of writers who use standing desks (like me) and a number who use treadmill desks.

Most of the ones using treadmill standing desks are tech writers, and it's a very different kind of schedule in terms of how long a day is.

Were I you, I'd experiment with a temp standing desk, and see how it works.

I use a modified bookcase; lots of people use an Ikea desk. I starte by using a half-height bookcase, and my laptop.

Now I'm using a full height bookcase, an iMac, and a sliding keyboard tray.

I wrote a bit about standing desks here.

I'd suggest trying a standing desk, but even more, setting a timer for 90 minutes, at which point you must get up and leave your computer for 15 minutes.

Go for a walk. Vacuum. Do some exercises, and stretches. Wash dishes.

Do Something Active Away from a Screen.

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
If you're sitting for extended periods of time, take a walk outside for god's sake. I'll sit down for 5 hours to write, and walk around for thirty minutes to get my legs moving and ideas.

I do love going out for a walk. In summer, I take every opportunity to work in the glen near my house, breaking up my day with glorious walks. I'm really blessed to have such an inspiring place to work, but sadly I live in the land of the rarely rising sun. Right now, breaking up an evening's writing by going out for a walk isn't an option as it's too dark too early. Besides walking quickly to work, ten mins there and back, and wandering around town during my half hour lunch break, I just don't exercise. At least with the stepper and treadmill I can break off for a while and get the blood flowing.

I'm going to see how I go with the cardboard box standing desk conversion. I have a damaged disc in my neck, which I don't doubt is due to sitting all day. Anything is worth a shot.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to use a CAD workstation (large desk area) that was power-operated. Someone could raise it to standing height. It was sort of nice to raise it up and work standing up for a little while.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I do love going out for a walk. In summer, I take every opportunity to work in the glen near my house, breaking up my day with glorious walks. I'm really blessed to have such an inspiring place to work, but sadly I live in the land of the rarely rising sun. Right now, breaking up an evening's writing by going out for a walk isn't an option as it's too dark too early. Besides walking quickly to work, ten mins there and back, and wandering around town during my half hour lunch break, I just don't exercise. At least with the stepper and treadmill I can break off for a while and get the blood flowing.

I'm going to see how I go with the cardboard box standing desk conversion. I have a damaged disc in my neck, which I don't doubt is due to sitting all day. Anything is worth a shot.

I actually like to walk out at night. More solitude, even in Vegas.

I knew a man who had a bad disk in his neck. Him and his doctor agreed that it was caused by his job, as a truck driver. He would be sitting for sixteen hours, neck bent a little, and stagnant. He became a nurse... yeah, it was a funny sight with him wearing scrubs.

If you do catch on to the standing desk, invest in a Anti-Fatigue mat. I used one for a while and it helped out a bit.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have several friends who have been using these for several years, now. I always thought it was a crazy idea. I'm actually under the impression I'd be horrible at walking and typing at the same time. My brain would struggle to free-flow my writing if I was walking, I would think. So, I never contemplated the idea myself. But my friends are happy with their treadmill desks.

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
I have several friends who have been using these for several years, now. I always thought it was a crazy idea. I'm actually under the impression I'd be horrible at walking and typing at the same time. My brain would struggle to free-flow my writing if I was walking, I would think. So, I never contemplated the idea myself. But my friends are happy with their treadmill desks.

I have a tendency to stand up and jiggle from foot to foot while writing, especially when working intensely and having new ideas. Doesn't help my neck problems, with a regular desk. These treadmills can be set at 1 mph, so writing and walking shouldn't be so hard. If it is, breaking off from writing and speeding up the treadmill is an option.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ah...I do tend to walk around when I'm writing plays. I'll have to think about it, if the time I spend writing plays increases too much. (-;

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Hmm, that's a good idea. I tend to get physically bored, and this would solve the issue. And as it happens there's a junked exercycle sitting here that I could probably adapt as a desk. Hmm!!

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a good idea. I tend to get physically bored, and this would solve the issue. And as it happens there's a junked exercycle sitting here that I could probably adapt as a desk. Hmm!!

Sounds interesting! I'm getting on well with my conversion, which has got classier since I swapped the cardboard boxes for a chess board. ;) Also dusted off my step machine and set it to a shallow tread. Love it. The only problem you might have is the hassle of converting from sitting to standing and then to your exercise equipment. If all goes well and this isn't a phase, I might buy an adjustable sit-stand desk in a few months.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
If I'm on my feet I have to be actually moving, or my back muscles start to complain in short order. And my knees don't do stairs anymore. But a bike-and-desk, where I can sit and pedal...

Having had plenty of cardboard furniture in my time... LOL at the upgrade :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
As another Scot, working a sedentry office job and feeling the strain of the gloomy days, I've been looking into treadmill desks too... they're so expensive, though!

The Fredrik seems to be a well-recommended budget standing desk, but Ikea don't ship up my way. Also it doesn't mention adjusting it on the web page -- anyone with standing desk knowledge know if I've I got the right model?

Last edited:

electroweakstar

Just keep swimming...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
electroweakstar.wordpress.com
There's a rather famous Steampunk author who does all of her writing standing. I don't think it's just a trend, but it's definitely not for everyone.

I have hip issues so I'm not a standing/walking desk kind of person. I instead try to do the "get up every hour to take a walk" thing at work. When I'm writing, I tend to zone out entirely and only my bladder gets me moving, so it's a little more difficult...

Pj Little

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen a bike desk, but, there is a separate pedal you can buy and put under the desk. My CPA had one. The biggest issue I think is blood clots in legs for not getting up and walking enough. My brother was a LD driver with that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.