What are you reading?

rhondawrites

Queen of Procrastination
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.winmcgrath.com
Just finished Odd Hours by Dean Koontz, which I thought was the weakest of the Odd series.

I am just starting American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

April

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked American Gods. I cannot recommend Ender's Game highly enough. It ranks right under Dune as the greatest science fiction work of all time, IMHO. Of course, I'm a sci-fi dweeb, I'm currently reading the Han Solo Adventures.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
I recently received a gift from a friend, three books in one by Dean Koontz. I've already read Whispers, which I thought was a pretty good book, but I have yet to read the other two. I started on Shattered this week and I am rather enjoying it. I can't wait to get to Watchers as well, as this one has been on my "to read" list for ages now.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Moon and Sixpence by W.S. Maugham. Looking through my to-be-read pile for what's next.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Big Nowhere, by James Ellroy.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead by Nancy Ancowitz. It's a self-help guide aimed at helping introverts to make the most of their personality traits to get ahead.

Much of what's in there is common sense and for a Brit, it's very US-centric (with a lot of love for Bill Clinton and a number of sports stars and broadcasters who don't mean anything much on this side of the Pond). However, it was good to have a 'go-to' book to get ideas if you're having problems and there were some hints for dealing with extroverts which I found useful.

MM

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
A Canticle for Leibowitz

Thanks.

I had to Google the title, having no idea who wrote it and what kind of book is. I used to be terribly ashamed of myself for being so ignorant, not knowing this title or that author ... until I cured myself of the shame. One can't read everything -- even when one works in a library ;)

So now I know that Canticle is a classic of science fiction. In those years, when it was published, I was learning the alphabet, across the Pond.

Although I don't read much sci-fi, I absolutely love sci-fi novels where monks are main characters, like The Sparrow, by Maria Doria Russell. Therefore, Canticle is on my TBR list, and very very soon!

Adagio [learning, learning!]

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got around to reading it the first time fairly recently.

Just finished Shirow Masamune's Black Magic - meh - and starting L.J. Smith's The Awakening.

Tin Man

Chicks dig the metal.
Registered
Reaction score
Drepaved~ Bryan Smith.

Lives up to its title.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started Twelve by Jasper Kent, it's a historical fantasy about vampires set in Russia in 1812.

MM

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm in the last half of Nineteen Minutes. It's...sometimes I'm in quiet awe and sometimes I wanna throw it across the room. The characters can be so damn petulant.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Wake, Fade, and Gone by Lisa McMann because some friends and I are going to interview her in a couple of weeks.

She's super nice. We get to meet in person for 45 minutes!

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Assassin by Stephen Coonts now. Previously, I finished The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan.

I used to like James Herbert and have been thinking about getting back into his books.

Aquarius

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. Considering that it is about the 2008 election, it wasn't quite as shocking and scandalous as I had hoped. The thought of Sarah Palin, sitting in a hotel room, surrounding by piles of index cards, staring blankly into space and mumbling to herself made me chortle, though...

Next up: Kiss by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. I have such a crackish love for his books, even though I'm guaranteed to be thrown for a loop concerning his plot lines. :)

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Just started reading The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer. Stunning opening and I can tell this one is going to be a page turner. And it struck me that I'm only on page 32 and there's already been more excitement and action than there was in the whole of the book I finished today called The Aztec Heresy. Which made me wonder why I bothered finishing a book I just wasn't into at all. Go figure.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I recently received a gift from a friend, three books in one by Dean Koontz. I've already read Whispers, which I thought was a pretty good book, but I have yet to read the other two. I started on Shattered this week and I am rather enjoying it. I can't wait to get to Watchers as well, as this one has been on my "to read" list for ages now.

Watchers, imo, is his best work ever. You'll really enjoy it! :D

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Just started reading The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer. Stunning opening and I can tell this one is going to be a page turner. And it struck me that I'm only on page 32 and there's already been more excitement and action than there was in the whole of the book I finished today called The Aztec Heresy. Which made me wonder why I bothered finishing a book I just wasn't into at all. Go figure.

Brad Meltzer! I forgot about this guy. His The Millionaires left a good impression upon my reader's mind. Story told from 1st and 3rd pov. The first book written with this style I'd ever read. Strong voice, interesting topic: the world of financiers.

Once, I remember now, I was killing time in a Barnes&Noble store, browsing the shelves, and Meltzer was having a book signing. I wished I could buy his book, with his signature, but alas I couldn't: I had no money with me and my credit card was in another pocketbook at home. He seemed a nice guy, down to earth. His wife, kid and mother-in-law were there, too. He said that his wife was helping him in the writing process. If I'm not mistaken, they are both lawyers.

Learned my lesson: never go to a bookstore without money. :cry:

If you're so excited about his book then I'll check it out. I like his style.

Adagio

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Brad Meltzer! I forgot about this guy. His The Millionaires left a good impression upon my reader's mind. Story told from 1st and 3rd pov. The first book written with this style I'd ever read. Strong voice, interesting topic: the world of financiers.

Once, I remember now, I was killing time in a Barnes&Noble store, browsing the shelves, and Meltzer was having a book signing. I wished I could buy his book, with his signature, but alas I couldn't: I had no money with me and my credit card was in another pocketbook at home. He seemed a nice guy, down to earth. His wife, kid and mother-in-law were there, too. He said that his wife was helping him in the writing process. If I'm not mistaken, they are both lawyers.

Learned my lesson: never go to a bookstore without money. :cry:

If you're so excited about his book then I'll check it out. I like his style.

Adagio

He uses the same technique in this one of telling the story in first and third. Really works too. But how can you argue with an opening like this?

"Six minutes from now, one of us would be dead. That was our fate. None of us knew it was coming."

The book grabbed me from the opening lines and isn't letting me go. :D

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Just about all the reading I have time for anymore is assigned. :cry:

Almost finished with The Mysteries of Udolpho. 100 pages left. If ever I were to condone book burning, this would be the book I would tell others to throw into the fire first. I'll leave it there. Otherwise, I might set off on a profanity laden tirade that would likely be less offensive than this book is to me.

And I read Pinocchio. Anyone else hate that puppet as much as I do? Especially in the second half. You know, the bit the author added on afterwards in order to make a children's book out of it like everyone wanted. Having once been a kid, I walked away insulted by his additions. A fisherman unable to discern a puppet from a fish? Honestly. That's just the start, too. It's filled to the brim with cripplingly dumb moments. Such stupidity should be absent from all works of fiction no matter the target age group.

Next up, there's The Monk and Secret Garden. Again, assigned reading. I'm not holding out hope for The Monk. Secret Garden, though, I expect to be at least better than Pinocchio, and that's a start.

Last edited: