Formatting issues [fixed]

Chachant

There's a dog under my foot
Registered
Reaction score
After writing my query letter, tearing it to pieces, writing again and going through the process countless times, this morning I was ready to query 10 agents that I had researched. For the first two I sent a query letter only. The formatting was fine. For the third agent, I sent a query letter and the first 5 pages. That's where I ran into problems.

The letter itself was formatted fine, but the first five pages were a mess. I changed my email over to plain text, replaced all the odd formatting in Word (straight quotes, paragraph breaks, etc) and everything looked good when I hit "submit." I just viewed my sent messages, and the sample pages look like this:

I
clearly don't know how to format
my query. Hopefully this isn't too
distracting.

It
probably is, so you likely won't
read this.

Why would that happen? I'm frustrated at myself for not sending a test message to my other email account first. I pretty much blew it with that agent from the get-go.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I'm not techie to be able to explain why that happened, but I can (I hope) help advise on how not to have it happen again.

Copy the material from your manuscript and paste it into a brand new file. It this file, make all your formatting changes: double-space to single, no indents, curly quotes to straight, and so on. Then copy this clean version into your e-mail.

I'd never trust my e-mail client's 'plain text' version to get it right. I only do it in a separate document. I even keep it in Word, but if you want to be really safe, you can make the formatting changes in a plain text program (not within an e-mail client, but the actual program) like Notepad or Wordpad.

In the meantime, don't sweat the query you sent. I'm sure that sort of thing happens all the time and won't earn you an auto-reject.

Chachant

There's a dog under my foot
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I did as you suggested and the formatting was preserved when I sent a test email to my other account.