XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
:gaah :cry:

I hate myself sometimes, I really do. Here I finally have a story that, a) I actually think is good, b) Actually has enough substance to it that it could fill a whole book, and c) I'm actually motivated to try and write, but now?

Let's just say, reading best-selling and universally-acclaimed fantasy novels is not good for my self-esteem. It just makes me think "there's no way I'm as good a writer as this, ever."

Not good enough to get published, or just not good enough to your own standards? Because if it's the first one, I can think of a few very recent examples that prove you don't actually have to be good to get published.

But if it's the second one, all I can say is I doubt anyone is ever fully satisfied with their writing skill. Those that say they are are probably lying or they just don't care.

Write it anyway.

And I must third this. Even if you don't want to write, do it anyway, because at least then you're attempting to reach your goal, rather than just wishing it'll happen without doing the work.
Trust me, I spent the last ten years wishing for writing skills to magically happen, and it didn't. Three months here with all you guys and my writing skills have skyrocketed, and there's still a long ways to go for me. To me that's exciting, not discouraging.

Keep your chin up. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I was just poking through some of the other threads in the SF/F area and noticed that a number of folks are well-versed in either hard science or history or a combination of the two. Especially a couple of threads discussing the habits of 16th and 17th century military forces.

Then I look at my mass of research material and the things I tend to read up on and think one of two things: "This is not normal dinner table conversation." and "I'm surprised Homeland Security isn't investigating me already."

This is why my sister stopped working on a great story idea she had about domestic terrorists. She said that, when she had worked out a realistic way for her bad guys to blow up a local refinery, things had gotten a little too real for her.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Let's just say, reading best-selling and universally-acclaimed fantasy novels is not good for my self-esteem. It just makes me think "there's no way I'm as good a writer as this, ever."

You're not reading the right books, or (probably more likely) reading them as an writer rather than a reader - shrug off the thought that you have to live up to David Gemmell or Tolkien or whomever, and write the stories which you want to write. There's a massive spread of different styles and tones within fantasy, and there are still gaps which have never really been exploited by anyone. Look for something which is essentially you rather than something which you can knock off, and it will be much easier to get through the writing part. Well... Not easy, but easier.

BW, that ghost horse sounds scary.

Not the very, very best ghost story about a horse though - the one which stands on the stairs (the freakin' stairs) of a stately manor is the finest example of reality being ten times more awesome than anything people could come up with.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?

Guys, my brain is stuck. What's a good word for when someone is, say, congratulating a dog for bringing back a ball or something. Like that , "Oh, good boy! You're such a good boy!" thing?

Nevermind. My brain started working again. :D

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
This is why my sister stopped working on a great story idea she had about domestic terrorists. She said that, when she had worked out a realistic way for her bad guys to blow up a local refinery, things had gotten a little too real for her.
It hasn't bothered me at all. I use a lot of it for Kat and Mouse, directly and indirectly.

But yeah, if you didn't know me and were an outsider looking in, you'd probably wonder if not outright call the authorities.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
It hasn't bothered me at all. I use a lot of it for Kat and Mouse, directly and indirectly.

But yeah, if you didn't know me and were an outsider looking in, you'd probably wonder if not outright call the authorities.

Part of the sister's problem is that she works for an engineering firm, and as such had access to lots of plans from the refinery, and had been there multiple times to do drawings, etc. She KNEW where the weak spots were in their security. This made her really afraid that somebody would be.... interested in anything she wrote.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Part of the sister's problem is that she works for an engineering firm, and as such had access to lots of plans from the refinery, and had been there multiple times to do drawings, etc. She KNEW where the weak spots were in their security. This made her really afraid that somebody would be.... interested in anything she wrote.
She could always fictionalize the refinery...

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking, am I still allowed in here now my main WIP has nothing to do with fantasy? :eek:

Well, they allow me in here...

Good evening Cantina. Off to a pub quiz this evening. I'm wondering how they're going to follow having to identify Tom Daley from a picture of his Speedo-clad arse, which was last week.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
No rollerin after dark.

Which in Alaska is 90% of the time.

Yes, but only 70% of the time.

Gracias!

Luxury. We had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before we went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Why are you talking about EVERY DAY EVER?

She could always fictionalize the refinery...

Your mom fictionalized a refinery.

Ahem.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

What? That's the best "your mom" joke EVER. :D

I have to go try on dresses today. I'd almost rather jab out my eye. :(

Oh, don't do that!

I'll do it for you. Here, turn toward the light. :evil

So, the lights are off in my part of the office. I am suddenly wishing I had a backlit keyboard because hgoidtjh awkeurkc 496!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. It's the cantina, once you show up, you're never allowed to leave :p

:eek:

We're being held hostage? Why was I not told this!?

My characters are driving me a little crazy. In the midst of plotting out the sequel to my WIP, it seems my female MC is starting to crush a little on the new male MC, which wasn't supposed to happen. Her affections already belong to someone else, even though he's 3000 miles away and she doesn't think he shares the same feelings for her. And that particular male MC is going to show back up. I really don't want this turning into a love triangle. I hate them.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
:eek:
We're being held hostage? Why was I not told this!?
No, you're not being held hostage.

You can leave anytime you like.

We don't recommend it because...well...bad things happen.

But you're not, in any way, shape, or form, being held hostage.

Not at all.

Here--have some of this Kool-Aid...

Psychotic.Pink

Registered
Reaction score
You're not reading the right books, or (probably more likely) reading them as an writer rather than a reader - shrug off the thought that you have to live up to David Gemmell or Tolkien or whomever, and write the stories which you want to write. There's a massive spread of different styles and tones within fantasy, and there are still gaps which have never really been exploited by anyone. Look for something which is essentially you rather than something which you can knock off, and it will be much easier to get through the writing part. Well... Not easy, but easier.

That, and there are people who think the writers you admire are absolutely terrible. Personally, I can't get through the first Lord of the Rings books (too many side paths in the story for my liking, and from what I've heard, too much scenery description further on in the book). And I've heard so much like/dislike on different popular authors that I believe 'greatness' is a matter of taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.