• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] OnlyOneChapter.com

Rubic

Check this out!

OnlyOneChapter.com - I received an email and it seems THE new site for writers.

You can promote your novel on OnlyOneChapter.com for free - as their opening offer. You promote it in the form of only one chapter. All the publishers will I'm sure want to check them out.

It says it's on offer now but they say of course at some stage it will be only natural to generate their revenue and they'll be charging authors about 90 pound per manuscript for 12 months (only about 190 dollars!) Will be a feature to recoup this cost but in the future.

For that price the email says:

"The simplicity of the website is that it benefits the author, the reader and the publisher in a simple and effective way.

The author is ..

1. being pro - active in promoting his or her work
2. major alternative to sending unsolicited manuscripts with the inevitable rejection
3. knowledge that publishers are viewing their work
4. super potential opportunity to get their work published
5. simple concept - only one chapter and synopsis of their book, online"

It sounds like they'll be selective and only promote the good stuff. Says they're only offering the deal to a limited amount of people so the sooner people join the better!

Whad' do ya reckon?

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
The Term of Art, as is used in these pages, for that kind of program is YADS -- Yet Another Display Site.

There may be one or two who do, but the vast majority of Agents and Editors have far too much in their slush piles to even have the time, let alone the need, to browse through a web site for more.

YMMV

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Yeah, spam. Publishers don't go to third parties for a slush pile. They either have their own or have decided to reduce the practice and require agented submissions only.

Rubic

You be in the minority I reckon when everyone joins well on offer. Sounds like I don't know what from you - jealousy ? Jump in while the chance and offer is there. Give it a try - The email sounds great oportunity

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yeah, um jealousy--right. Your're right, I live to smite wonderfully successful innovative writers, in beween kicking puppies and stealing candy from infants.

Seriously, look at the hundreds of posts here about display sites and try explaining why this one will succeed where all others have failed.

And you join here to plug this service just out of an impulse to share the joy. Or you have some stake in it...?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I pass too on you mostly kind offer. Too good it is for likes of me.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those prices, I can get two full copies of my manuscript and have enough left over for postage, and have a better guarantee somebody will look at my work.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
It's so wrong to feed trolls but...

they'll be charging authors about 90 pound per manuscript for 12 months (only about 190 dollars!

Sorry kids you can't eat the next two weeks 'cause Mommy is "investing" in her lackluster career and paying out the wazoo so hypothetical publishers can ooh and ahh over her work.

Why is it so hard for people to believe that Money flows To the writer. Never from the writer.

(usual promo expenses and the like being the exception, of course)

Rubic

Seriously, look at the hundreds of posts here about display sites and try explaining why this one will succeed where all others have failed.

And you join here to plug this service just out of an impulse to share the joy. Or you have some stake in it...?

I am here because I heard about it and it looks like a good offer - we're all in the same game. If you take time to read it properly below you see the benefits. I don't have interest one way or other but am just sharing. This site Absolute Write sells writing software whoever heard of a computer writing a book? This is actually practical. I'm tryig to get writers to see this. You maybe need to and take a look at how you're going about writing. Try clicking on the link like I did and see. Aren't we in this game together? Come on.

"The simplicity of the website is that it benefits the author, the reader and the publisher in a simple and effective way.

The author is ..

2. major alternative to sending unsolicited manuscripts with the inevitable rejection

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
major alternative to sending unsolicited manuscripts with the inevitable rejection

Absolutely. No one can reject it because no respectable agent or publisher will ever see it.

Really? How do you know who's viewing the website? Spyware?

How, if no publisher or agent knows that it's there?

It sounds like they'll be selective and only promote the good stuff. Says they're only offering the deal to a limited amount of people so the sooner people join the better!

Yeah, just like the 419ers.

Whad' do ya reckon?

I reckon you're a twit. Thanks for asking.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Two recent posts on Gather.com:

I too went to the London Book Fair and the current theme was that publishers weren't yet "embracing" the internet compared to their target audience ... the readers and writers.

www.OnlyOneChapter.com is a site that looks set to change that.

Apparently it's designed to "discover and promote new writers" and has the support of a number of UK publishers.

I think it's about to be launched ... perhaps one to keep an eye on?

www.OnlyOneChapter.com

alexg., May 2, 2007 12:21 pm ET
Hi Patry, I'm new to gather.com and would be interested in talking further. we are about to launch a site in the next two weeks - www.OnlyOneChapter.com - designed to discover and promote new writers. we have the support of numerous publishers in the UK with the intention to attract many more overseas

we are offering a free listing for the launch and I'd be interested in promoting your work

[email protected]

regards

alexg., May 2, 2007 12:40 pm ET
19 minutes from "apparently" and "I think it's about to be launched" to "we are offering a free listing." Anyone want to take bets that Rubic is also alexg.?

Oh, hell--am I kicking puppies again?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have interest one way or other but am just sharing.

Okay - so what manuscript did you sell through this website? Who has sold a manuscript through that website?

90 quid with no proven results = no likee, no thankee.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My POV:

To put it simply, I find it implausible that a person would join here just to promote an expensive display site unless they had a stake in it. Similar sites exist that are cheaper or free. They don't work either. Money flows to the writer, mauscripts flow to the editor.

[by paying someone else rather than bothering to submit your work to presses]

[i.e. a major alternative to having an editor see your work. No rejections, also no acceptances? Feel free to rub my nose in a large press sale resulting directly from this site]

[I doubt it. if you mean by publisher what I mean by publisher. Where does this knowledge come from?]

[The best predictor of future sucess is past successes. What are this site's past successes (vanity and ultra small press don't count)]

[Simple concept, editors read what is sent to them. The exceptions to this are rare and not drawn from fee-chargin display sites. If anything the use of such a site would probably make a writer look less viable (more gullible)]

I see a lot of promises but no evidence of editors reading and/or soliciting from this site or that they would. e.g. editors stating up front that they intend to.

Rubic

Okay - so what manuscript did you sell through this website? Who has sold a manuscript through that website?

90 quid with no proven results = no likee, no thankee.

You would be better embracing some change instead of wasting people time with arguments that don't make sense - and if you read it properly the first offer is free first off. The email says the publicity will be huge. I think those who don't join will miss out on all this. That's all I'm saying and sharing with you.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The publicity will not be huge where it counts, editors with publishers won't care. You won't listen to us, but do look in the message archives for the rise and fall of 5-6 idenitical enterprises. Can anyone remeber their names to help in the seach? They have all blurred together in my memory.

If you want to even pretend this might work don't do what the previous guys did.

HJW

Registered
Reaction score
A few of us over at youwriteon.com received an e-mail from these people offering free listing.

The e-mail pretends to have read work on YWO, hence the offer of a free listing...

In my case, the work they say they have "just finished reading" isn't even posted on YWO at the moment.

Hmm.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
rubic, I think you need to take a look at your own posts. The offer may be free for the present, but they're talking about charing people 90 quid in future:

they say of course at some stage it will be only natural to generate their revenue and they'll be charging authors about 90 pound per manuscript for 12 months (only about 190 dollars!)

The one thing I hate more than a spammer, is a spammer with a selective memory about what they're spamming you with.

Why would anyone pay money for a service that has no proven results? Why would I waste time putting my chapter for free on a website that no publisher or agent is going to bother visiting and that I'm likely to be charged for later?

The email says the publicity will be huge.

Did it also say that the moon was made of cheese? Of course the email said that - it's called promotion and it's aimed at getting poor suckers to go along and put up their work so they can be shilled for their hard earned cash later on with no results.

That's all I'm saying and sharing with you.

You're not sharing rubic - you're selling snake oil.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You would be better embracing some change instead of wasting people time with arguments that don't make sense - and if you read it properly the first offer is free first off. The email says the publicity will be huge. I think those who don't join will miss out on all this. That's all I'm saying and sharing with you.
Considering the number of people on these forums who have either been burned in such deals in the past or are experts in the publishing field in one capacity or another (I've seen one or two current/former editors and there are several professional writers), the questions are being raised because no proof is being offered that this will work. If you want to take them up of the offer, that's your choice but from what I've seen here and elsewhere, I prefer to do the work the hard way. I need the experience.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! Which one of you kicked the puppy again?

Huh?

What sock puppet?

Oh.

Nevermind. Kick away.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Kicking puppies?

Rubic, what they're concerned about is they'll likely end up with small change in their pocket and no change when it comes to reaching a publisher. Instead, I'll propose this. Why don't you learn a bit more how the publishing industry operates before you try to convince writers that your way is better?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my.... so sad.

DIESPAMDIE!

TheEnd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SullivanAuthor.com
Guys and Gals, step right up for the next great thing. Best of all, it's FREE. That's right, I said FREE. Just simply go to my website:
http://www.Whaddoyareckon.com and post your entire manuscript for FREE. And best of all, it will be viewed by every literary agent alive. How can that be you ask? Because they are all super bored with no slush pile to dig through. Hurry, this offer only lasts for the next 5 seconds...

Small print
after that it's only an additional $5,893/month to maintain.