Evacuating

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
The mountain side near my home is burning and they are already evacuating homes closer to the fire. No idea how it started but what the media refers to as a "brush fire" is burning acres and acres of scrub oak trees that are hardly brush.

The fire started just a few miles from our home. At the time they reported this they said it only has burned 40 acres and they aren't looking very far north because the entire mountain side to the north of us is gone. Its more like hundreds or a thousand acres from my vantage point.

I just watched as one of the forestry planes dumped the red fire retardant and then cruised over my house as it ascended to return to get more. There are fire truck sirens everywhere.

With my son being asthmatic we might have to leave town for a few days. I've been scared before but man, knowing my house might not be here tomorrow and everything in it?

Well, I need your prayers.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I've been watching it on KUTV. It looks like the situation is scary, but not dire. I'm thinking they'll be able to save even the homes closest to the fire, and you should be ok.

Anyway, that's my hope, and I'm thinking of you.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
((((((((Cassi)))))))))

Speaking as an asthmatic who was in fires last year and took months to recover, get out now if you can, get out before it gets really bad for him. It'll be easier on you both in the longer run.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I just drove up the road towards the fire and we are fortunate that the forestry department is doing a good job trying to move it away from the homes. I think as long as the wind doesn't double back on us, we should be okay. Now it's just the smoke and my son. He's doing okay and we're packing our things in case we need to but I'm hoping they stop it.

In all the years I've lived here, I've never seen anything burn so fast in my life. It just went up so fast. Rugcat, are you here? All of lone peak has been burned. At least our face of it. And now it's moving quite rapidly over to Sandy.

We were greatly relieved to see where it was in comparison to what we could see from the front door. Let's just pray it doesn't change directions on them or jump. Which it keeps doing but they are keeping it away so far. One advantage is the new LDS temple not far from me. I am sure they will do all they can to keep it from getting any closer and then I'm alright. :)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Seriously, if you can, get him out of there.
I sat in front of an air filter miles from the fires here, and was still coughing too much to breathe two months later.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It just went up so fast. Rugcat, are you here? All of lone peak has been burned. At least our face of it. And now it's moving quite rapidly over to Sandy.
I am. I took a day off from work, so I'm home, iin the middle of "old Draper," around 6th east and 123rd, so the fire won't get down this far.

They got on it really quick, and there are firefighters from all over the valley in place. Barring a sudden kick up in wind coupled with a wind shift, chances look pretty good they'll be able to contain it.

There are a lot of different fronts though. It's huge. It's going to be a long night.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
When we were watching it from the top of Rambling Road, it jumped while we watched but not near anyone. It is moving oddly cos of the wind. I heard we are getting a storm front in which won't help if that kicks up the wind. But what about Sandy? I can't even see what they are doing that way to stop it there.

It looks much better up here at this point.

yeah I think its going to be a very long night. I'm 7 blocks west of where the fire jumped above the homes but as close as that sounds, it's not as close as you think when you account for this side of the canyon and the golf course.

My son, *giggles* is trying to figure out how to pump the water out of our pool if it comes near us. I'm thinking, kid you won't be able to breathe. He wants to go help fight the fires and I just glared. I told him, we will go bring them food and drink if they need volunteers but he isn't getting in that smoke. I'd lose him. :(

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe, Cassi. I'll be praying for you and your neighbours.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I just turned on the tv. *sigh* over 400 acres have burned and I thought the fires were pretty much out but the canyon isn't out. So like Rugcat said it will be a long night. I feel really bad for some of my son's friends, they were evacuated.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Things are looking better. A storm front is expected to arrive in about four hours or so, and if, and it's always if, it doesn't drive the fires back down the canyon, they may even let the evacuated families return.

So although the fire is not yet under control, it's now moved away from homes -- it could easily have been a disaster, but that no longer appears to be likely. (Although we all are keeping our fingers crossed.)

I have some issues with Utah local government in general, but responding to crisis situations is not one of them. They're doing a great job.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this- Stay safe Cassi- My thoughts are with you.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Cass-my prayers are sent: May God rain down his blessings and cover your home and all those who live inside. I ask for his protection in this hour and every hour to come. Amen.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Rugcat, I notice that a lot of the smoke has lifted and it's not as badly burned as I thought at first from my side but I am still concerned about the canyon and the news keeps saying the 0% containment. Do they LIKE scaring the hell out of us or what?

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers. I guess I freaked out a bit when my Realtor came ringing my doorbell and asked me to step outside. He said, did you see this and pointed to the visible flames and smoke. I've been in my basement doing homework and reworking my resume and cover letter. I just stood there staring. Hour by hour it just got worse but now like Rugcat says it looks a lot better. I just keep hoping the winds don't change the direction so the flames come towards all of the homes and the temple.

Thanks everyone again. *group hug*

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
oh how worrisome, hope it turns out well.