Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
"Learn Writing With Uncle Jim" started in September of 2003. Well over a year old, the thread shows no signs of losing momentum or popularity.

This poses a challenge for the new reader. There are a lot of pages to read, before jumping in to try and participate in an ongoing conversation.

Tell me about it. Sure I've been around since January - WOOHOOO - but the threads are chaotic! So much to read, it's almost to intimidating to look at. But thank God for the link index!!! Thank you!!!

prusik

he of the abstracted air
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
What other reputable workshops are there (preferably in the Northwest)? I know of Clarion, and Viable Paradise, and that's it.

Clarion West is in Seattle. Odyssey is in Manchester, NH. Both are 6 week intensive workshops.

retterson

Rogue Story Hunter
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Done. They accept Paypal.

$5 per user is all they need.

Go. Do it. After Uncle Jim teaches you to write your stories, you will need to know where to send them. Duotrope can help.

Niteowl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theniteowl.blogspot.com
Duotrope needs help to stay free. If you can donate, please do so.

http://www.duotrope.com/

(Note: I am not affiliated with Duotrope in any way. I just think it's a heck of a neat service and would serve all writers better by staying open and available to all writers.)
Does some sort of Adsense support not work? Do they not get enough traffic for that sort of revenue model? I'm sure most aspiring writers would prefer a few google ads to having no duotrope at all.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Adsense is a blot on the face of the 'net.

But don't ask me. Ask the Duotrope people -- I don't know any of them.
I had to read this several times to understand what Adsense meant. I'm not so inclined to understand or participate in technology that has a financial motivation.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Adsense is a blot on the face of the 'net.

But don't ask me. Ask the Duotrope people -- I don't know any of them.

However nothing is as bad IMHO as those double-underlined inline text ads some sites have. Thankfully with the right Greasemonkey scripts Firefox can disable them.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
I had to read this several times to understand what Adsense meant. I'm not so inclined to understand or participate in technology that has a financial motivation.

Hi Spooky! That seems a little quirky. So...you don't watch network TV? Or go to the movies?

I think there's a difference between putting up enough adsense ads to keep the site free (as Absolutewrite does on its forums) and having "a financial motivation."

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Adsense

Maybe UJ means to imply a difference between Adsense itself and advertising on the internet in general?

I don't mind seeing a few ads to have access to the internet for "free."

NemoBook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInstrumentMovie.com
I've pretty much learned to tune ads out as much as possible. As long as I don't have to pay membership dues to sites like this, they can inundate my eyeballs with whatever they want (to a point...)

slythwolf

I've got a Firefox addon set up to disable javascripts automatically until I allow the sites I trust by hand. I never see ads anymore.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I mean the Adsense ads. Google ads.

Anything you see advertised that's writing-related is usually an ad for a scammer. Perhaps that extends to areas I don't know as well, perhaps not, but for writers, it's scams all the way down.

Much of the time the ads that are served are hilariously mis-aimed.

If someone wants to be supported by advertising, well and good, but they ought to pick their ads, not accept whatever random stuff shows up.

===========

Having said that, here's a place that supports itself with Adsense ads, but is nevertheless useful.

http://nine.frenchboys.net/index.php

Go, and pick up Random Stuff to use in your stories (for those days when the inspiration just doesn't arrive on time).

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I used to write DBZ fan fiction...

<wields her shurikens menacingly> Don't even say it.

It's okay, Jim. You gave us permission to write crap. I hereby give you permission to write shameless fan fiction ;)

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com
I'm starting to come around to the idea that fan fiction really is good training wheels---it certainly was to me---and basically a way for the writerly to play with dolls. It's way cheaper too. And more fun. And more flexible.

But any fanfic writer worth their salt will, if they realize they want to do this for an actual living, know that there are boundaries to fanfic, and that they need to spread their wings out more. Yes, characters are really hard.... but characters are really fun. Yes, world-building is really hard... but it is really fun. You're following in the footsteps of your favorite creators.

One day you may return the favor and write something that they or their children or their children's children will admire and have fun with. And that is the best payback of all.

Fanfic writers, spread your wings. You have nothing to lose but your innocence. If you were writing slash, you have nothin' to lose... :D

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I spent a few years writing fan-fiction, although I never knew that was the name for it. I just had my own characters in other people's universes and I told what stories I could, what I thought would matter, and I said what I had to say. In hindsight, they were definitely written by a writer learning his chops...but I'm unashamed.

I'm ashamed of fanfiction now, though, it's awful stuff. The good crowd went on to Real Writing Careers, everything left is frightening.

...This is a really enjoyable article, actually, and it's full of really intelligent people (Debra, Patrick Hayden, etc.)

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ashamed of fanfiction now, though, it's awful stuff. The good crowd went on to Real Writing Careers, everything left is frightening.

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

He's just not hanging around the right fandoms, Sailor Kenshin! I know fanfic writers who are truly gifted, and I only wish they'd write original fic so I could buy it. I don't blame them, though. They have a loyal fanbase and none of the heartbreak of trying to get published. Money is not the basis for every person's reason for writing.

PS I'm enjoying all your posts on fanfic, even though AW is obviously a tough crowd. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.