The Line of the Day--NO CRITTING

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Switching gears, setting aside "Leonard" since the slower-paced stuff isn't doing so well for me on submissions. Going for more aliens, gore and 'splosions with this.

I knew I’d find the Old Lady in a cage when I couldn’t raise her on a squawk. In theory, she knows better than to be unreachable by her seconds. In theory, I had good reason to haul her ass out of there now. I’d sooner take her place in the cage. At worst, her opponent could only end my life. If I stopped the match, Cara would make mine an unending hell.

Last edited:

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay, this is from a few weeks ago, before I went in the hospital. Got to reworking some of what I'd already done and this looked good. (My apologies if I've already posted this.)

From the killers POV.

While he usually depended on the paper for his news, the local broadcast news caught his attention as he was flipping through channels. The reporter was standing in the same parking lot he had stood in a week ago, and the wooded area behind her was the same one he had walked into to get rid of the girl’s body.

He turned the volume up as a photo of the girl flashed on the screen. They had found her, even after he had been so careful to hide her, to enshroud her in the blue tarp. The girl’s photo disappeared and the reporter continued as a tip line number scrolled across the bottom. He smiled as the number scrolled past again. He had them baffled and they needed the public’s help to catch him. The thought of Cal Jessup asking for help made him laugh.

The other half sent a jolt of pain through his skull as he laughed; it did not think the police asking the public for help was funny at all. He knew the other half was right, with more eyes looking for him, that meant a greater chance of being caught and that would not do. If someone had seen him drive into that parking lot, that meant they would have seen his car, and they could track it back to Arizona and Cynthia.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay, I promise this one is from today. :D

From the killers POV. (I seem to do that a lot, but then, he is interesting.)

The urge and the other half pounced on him as one now, not two different feelings as they had been, before his last kill. They were no longer separate, but a new entity, one being with one goal.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice lines, Ken, and nice to see you back! This thread has been too quiet without you. ;)

So, I picked a spot of wall beyond reach of the hooting, screeching patrons seated, perched or draped in the arena floor. Humans aren’t popular on Landmark. Hard-shells are the majority form here, and most find soft-bodies like us distasteful. Some of the other soft-bodies are the worst, though — no noses more offended by the stench of barrel-bottom than ambitious ones near it themselves. Proving the point, a trio of Grint raised neck-quills and hissed as I drew too near.

Last edited:

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
I'm not sure how I missed this thread before, but I've just spent too long reading it! What a fantastically diverse set of wips, and this thread is such a fun way to get little snippits of each.

From my last writing day before Christmas Event Hell started. From She Whom I Love, book 2 of 'Treading the Boards.' James and Sarah are old acquaintances and new lovers fumbling their way towards trust and affection. I really enjoyed setting up some casual banter as a counterpart to some of the other, more emotional scenes. Setting is London, 1811.

He didn’t flinch, his arm beneath her hand as steady and sure as ever. “It would depend on what kind of secret it was.” He leaned in, the brim of his hat knocking against her cap. “Have you killed a man?” he asked with a wide grin, pretending like this was all some big game, rather than a moment of such importance she could barely find the words.

“What? No! Not I. This is not that sort of secret.” She glared hotly at him, and he left off murmuring in her ear.

James tapped his chin thoughtfully. “Alright then; you’re with child by the Prince Regent.” He arched his eyebrow again. “Am I close?”

“And still working in service? I rather imagine not.” Sarah snorted; there was no way not to be drawn into his infernal charm, damn him and his ridiculous blue eyes.

He pursed his lips, those eyes still gleaming. “You’re secretly a runaway princess of Bavaria?”

Sarah sighed deeply in exasperation, and his grin only grew wider. “Now I know you’re teasing me, dreadful man. Can you take nothing seriously at all?”

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Yep, really interesting assortment, you guys. Welcome back, Ken! Btw, your Riverwalk avie is scaring the crap outta me. :chair

From a new cpt. of CHERRY:

It was a brutal kiss, devastatingly brutal.
He didn’t fight it.
I broke it off. Still gripping his chin, I shoved hard and let go. His head hit the window.
Steve blinked, sought my gaze and held it, eyes shining.
“You like that?” I said.
He licked his swollen lips. Bruised, probably. I wasn’t done hurting him. “You wanted it so don’t start that crying shit,” I said. “I’ve had it with that crying shit.”
“I won’t. You didn’t answer my question.”
“When did you grow a pair, huh?”
“What do you mean?” Steve said.
“I mean, I’m not answering your stupid fucking question.”

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Time to bring this one back to the top. You guys are too quite. Post something already. :D

From today, once again the killers POV. Odd, this guy has a way of getting the best lines. And this is a long winded paragraph.

WARNING: Creep factor 10

He glanced up at the wall clock and then at his watch. It was getting late and if he wanted to appease the entity, he would have to move, find his victims and take care of them fast. The wind whipped around him as he walked out onto the porch, and he pulled his jacket tighter about his neck with his free hand. The street lights were just coming on as he got into the white panel van, and he smiled again. He didn’t know why he hadn’t thought of it before, it was the perfect vehicle for him, and it blended in so well. A small voice inside his head chided him at this thought and his smile faded. Pride always came before a fall, and the voice reminded him that it was not good to be prideful.

Brenda Hill

Diva in Training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendahill.com
Okay, here's mine:

[FONT=&quot]The first howl pierced the night and echoed through the heavily wooded campground. All the night creatures went silent.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] “Good God[FONT=&quot],[/FONT]” Cheryl said, pulling out of Bob’s arms. “What was that?” She glanced uneasily behind her.[/FONT]

field19

DreamSeeker
Registered
Reaction score
After the FMC's drug dealer proposes they go into 'business' together:

“On second thought, just forget it. I’d sooner tell you to do it with one of your friends, anyway. . . except you don’t seem to have any.”

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Great lines, all! :D Love this thread.

My contribution for today, from WIP #1, in Cal Jessup's POV.

Cal is in his office getting an earful from the Deputy Chief of Police. The chief is ticked at the morning headline in the San Antonio Express. (Killer still at large. Cops clueless.)

“So you’re telling me that this psychopath is smarter than you and the entire San Antonio Police Department? I find that hard to believe.”

“It’s not that he’s smarter, it’s that he’s had a very long time to perfect his, well, for lack of a better word, profession. He knows the ins and outs, how to get around forensics. So far we’ve found zero trace evidence. No fingerprints, no DNA, nothing. Zip, nada, jack squat. So you tell me, in your vast experience, how do you catch a killer that leaves no trace?”

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I can imagine all sorts of sarcastic answers to that, Ken :D

Something from me. Been a while.

They turned into the alley where they'd left the drunken man to burn; an acrid, meaty smell threaded through the air. The student coughed, half-laughing to cover it up, then he must have seen the body. He gasped like he was choking, his hand to his mouth, his knees sagged. Lydia couldn't see his face, but she didn't want to. His fear was all-too familiar.

Hung grabbed the student's face with one hand, his fingers poised over the kid's eyes, and shoved him against the wall. Everything was quiet now. Lydia's heart pounded in her ears, low, pulsing static like rushing water.

"Your turn," said Hung. He let go. The student slid down the wall, his eyes bright with terror.

Alice smiled at him, sweet like a prom date, then there was something metal in her fingers, flashing under the streetlight, and the student's throat was red. She kissed his neck, lapping at the flowing blood like a cat.

Hung shook his head disapprovingly, and left her to it.

Lydia's legs went weak. Her head swirled, vomit rising at the back of her throat. But she couldn't stop watching. Alice was sucking at the wound, leech-like, and Lydia just watched.

That was all she'd done. They killed the drunken man, set him burning, and she just watched. They seduced the student, fed his fear, slit his throat. And she just watched.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay, OSG, give me one sarcastic response. :D

BTW, very graphic stuff.

lapping at the flowing blood like a cat.
Brrrrrr!

My entry for today. (Yes, that's two days in a row. :D )

Cal is on the phone with another detective he is working with and gets some odd news. A little longish, but needed for context.

He picked up his phone, punched in Herrera’s cell number and waited. “I need you and Maylor back here, now. No, I don’t have anything new on our guy, but I do have a new game plan that we need to go over,” he said and paused. “Wait, what do you mean you and Maylor found something? Well shit, why didn’t you tell me? Give me the address and I’ll be right there.” He scribbled the address down, scratched the back of his head and continued. “You’re sure about this address? I know this place, but what you’re telling me doesn’t make any sense. Yeah, yeah, I’ll be there in twenty.”

He ended the call, looked down at the note pad and shook his head. This just doesn’t make any sense at all. Why would he do that? And why there of all places? No sense at all. He stood, grabbed his coat, threw it on and headed out the door. Why my old house? What the fuck is he trying to tell me?

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay, just wrote this and have to post it. Some sick stuff from the killer, and he won't leave me alone until I post it. So, you have been warned.

He couldn’t recall the last time he had felt this way, and while it wasn’t new, it was unexpected. The entity was pleased, he had accomplished his task and this was his reward. It was euphoric, almost sexual, and yet he didn’t feel dirty. It hadn’t been easy to isolate two at one time, but fate had been with him, fate and the entity.

He ran his gloved hand over the blond ones face, following the curve of her chin down to the gaping wound in her neck. She had been easy, lured in with a few drinks, the final one spiked. Her friend hadn’t been so naïve, and he had to use another tactic to get her, a twirl around the dance floor. The needle had slipped in easily and unnoticed. While he didn’t care for dancing, business was business, and he had to have both of them or the entity would see that he was punished, and that was not an option.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
BTW, very graphic stuff.

Brrrrrr!

Uh, yeah, I should probably have put a warning there. Oops.

Okay, OSG, give me one sarcastic response. :D

“So you’re telling me that this psychopath is smarter than you and the entire San Antonio Police Department? I find that hard to believe.”

“It’s not that he’s smarter, it’s that he’s had a very long time to perfect his, well, for lack of a better word, profession. He knows the ins and outs, how to get around forensics. So far we’ve found zero trace evidence. No fingerprints, no DNA, nothing. Zip, nada, jack squat. So you tell me, in your vast experience, how do you catch a killer that leaves no trace?”

"Have you tried putting a bell on him?"

:D

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Okay, I got really prolific today. So sue me. Here's another line, from the killers POV.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

Of course this wasn’t the best part, even if it had been gratifying. The best part had come after he had slit their throats, after the last drop of blood had oozed from their bodies and pooled on the plastic covered floor beneath. He grinned as he closed his eyes and tried to imagine the look on Cal Jessup’s face when he saw what was written on his living room walls. The feeling of euphoria heightened as his mind pictured the scene, the blood stained walls and the message he had left for the great detective.

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
I had a heavy day at work and a long walk home when my bus failed to appear, but it gave me time to think, and finally my writers' block seems to have lifted. The flood of story I'm scribbling down right now began with a single line:

Some days, I feel like I'd happily burn my house down just to feel warm again.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
I love it, Anaximander. Sometimes inspiration comes at the oddest times and in the oddest places. Glad to hear you broke the dreaded block.​
My entry for today. I had a little block yesterday but broke it today. :D
This is in the killers POV. He's following Cal's daughter, planning to kidnap her, though he has to figure out how as she is also a cop. He misjudges her pattern and suffers the wrath of "the entity" in his head.​

The entity was not pleased and it made him aware of its displeasure, sending wave after wave of pain through his skull, causing him to slump over the steering wheel in agony. As the pain became more than he could bear, he screamed out, begging the entity to stop, to forgive him. Yet the entity continued, increasing the pain until he lost consciousness.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I just now popped in to peruse this thread starting with Onesecond's latest. Onesecond, that scene was visceral. Ken, you are on a roll. Yikes. Anaximander, great first line.

I've been working the R&R for Cherry, reading it over now and just came to this part, posted it before I think, in Novels, but what the heck. It's still a favorite:
He thought he knew me but I’m one of the people I warned him about: the worst kind of monster, the worst kind. The kind that gains your trust then rips your heart out and shoves it down your throat.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
First post for February! :D

Love this thread, great lines. This is from today, in the killers POV, so graphic warning.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

He stood up, the scalpel in his right hand, and looked down at the beautiful red headed coed. She had told him her name, yet he could not recall it, not that it mattered. The cold steel glimmered as he pressed it into her throat and drew it across from left to right, blood glistening on the blade as it sliced, spraying his face shield and covering the walls with a grotesque red art.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
This thread will always have a special place in my heart. <3

My little contribution is from a new WIP that I just started, which is a story I've been thinking about for absolute ages now and only now got round to writing, albeit, very roughly. This is from the opening chapter and is just the dialogue between my two main characters, Vicki Fox and Nate Saunders, set in a dive of a bar somewhere in New York City.

VF: “How the hell do you know all of this?”

NS: “You’re gonna think I’m crazy.”

“It can’t be much worse than thinking that you’re a psychopath.”

“Someone wants me to kill you.”