starting print version of my news site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ketanco

Registered
Reaction score
I have a news website since few years about a tech subject and now I want to start a magazine on paper.
I am a beginner on this field and have the following questions:
1-How can I get the information about what should I charge for ads? I will need this when I start calling advertisers.
2-How can I make my magazine displayed on news stands or bookstores? I mean I will also contact them but wanted to ask here too.
3-For printing, what do you recommend? A service to use or buying a printer and doing it myself?

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
1. Ads are generally based on circulation. You'll typically need to show your circulation first (or offer ads for free). As an unknown quantity you aren't likely to be able to sell advertising at the outset. Revise your plans.
2. You generally can't, at least not in the broad circulation way. You generally have to build up from local, often independent, stores. Most small press magazines rely entirely on direct sales and internet marketing.
3. I recommend starting as an electronic publication and seeing if there's an audience for your content. You can branch out into printing, but it's much more expensive and you can't really "do it yourself". Just use your local phone-book to find a local printer and go down and talk to them. Take a magazine off the shelf that is similar to what you're looking for and get a quote. Get 3-4. Do the math. Figure out how much you lose if you can't sell them. Unless you're independently wealthy, the investment involved is going to look daunting I'd guess.

ketanco

Registered
Reaction score
i forgot to mention that my website which is up for several years have about 20K visitors per month already. on my facebook fan page there are 1.2 K people...so for question 1 how does your answer change?

for question 2 as i have a website of that much visitors, i dont need any marketing correct? for direct sales what mathods do you recommend?

ketanco

Registered
Reaction score
difference between my website and paper content

Hello,
I have a news website operating since few years on a tech related subject (if it matters). I will now start a paper magazine version - at least i want to.
I will also do my research myself by comparing magazines to websites, but, still want to ask here... what should be the difference of content between my website and the paper version? I mean my website is established so I guess I just dont transfer content as they are from web to paper.. Apart from layout and format editing, as far as the content itself, what should be different? Should I offer more detailed stoires in the paper version for instance? And more detailed version of basically everything? because my website is free to read but the magazine will be paid.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Look at the differences between print newspapers and their websites. That should help.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have a news website since few years about a tech subject and now I want to start a magazine on paper.
I am a beginner on this field and have the following questions:
1-How can I get the information about what should I charge for ads? I will need this when I start calling advertisers.

You're getting way ahead of yourself.

You can't work out how much to charge for advertising until you know what your circulation figures are, and who is buying your publication.

And advertisers are very unlikely to pay for advertising with you until you can provide them with that information.

Until you have a good circulation, then, you can't sell any meaningful amount of advertising.

2-How can I make my magazine displayed on news stands or bookstores? I mean I will also contact them but wanted to ask here too.

For this to happen, you'll need to get a good distributor to agree to take your magazine on.

They're not even going to consider doing that until you've got a proven circulation measured in tens, if not hundreds, of thousands, a strong track record, and a couple of years trading under your belt.

3-For printing, what do you recommend? A service to use or buying a printer and doing it myself?

This question makes me wonder if you're trolling us.

If you're not, then you have a shockingly huge amount to learn about magazine production.

i forgot to mention that my website which is up for several years have about 20K visitors per month already. on my facebook fan page there are 1.2 K people...so for question 1 how does your answer change?

You don't have a big enough audience to make this work.

for question 2 as i have a website of that much visitors, i dont need any marketing correct? for direct sales what mathods do you recommend?

You definitely do need marketing. That number of visitors is pitifully small in the scheme of things. It is extremely unlikely to translate into enough sales to make your print publication work. And as for direct sales: this is a huge, complex and very sophisticated area and if you're asking what "mathods" we recommend, you probably have no idea what it entails.

You have a lot of homework to do.

And now I'm going to merge this thread with the other one you've started. Please don't start multiple threads on such similar subjects again: this one will do for all discussions on your proposed magazine.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com

Very little. Print is a whole different ballgame, though having an audience of any size is better than starting with no audience. :) Here's an idea, ask your audience how many of them would be willing to buy content X in "e-zine" or print magazine format and how much would they roughly be willing to pay for it.

Some web content has had really strong demand for print versions ("Order of the Stick"!) while most does not tend to, particularly newsy stuff, or reference stuff where online is the preferred consumption method and the expectation of price is nearing free.

I wouldn't rule out further marketing, but sure, start with the audience you've built because that's easy. For direct sales, your existing audience first. Most product would then branch out to the major online retailers next, but a lot of that depends on what exactly your publication is about, and whether you go e-zine exclusively, print exclusively, or do both.

ketanco

Registered
Reaction score
ok thanks for the answers...
note1: no i wasnt trolling
note2: "mathods" was a typo because of rushing...
thanks again... i will first try to sell directly from my own website i think, which would make things simpler... another thing i will do is to offer advertisers a deal on the magazine plus website. may be that works...

Status
Not open for further replies.