Question about editor making edits

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaylorDuke

Writer of Short Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my first short story I submitted was sent back to me with a bunch of edits and a request to resubmit it. I am very excited about this; especially after receiving so many rejections and this being my first short story.

Well my question is: should I make every edit to my story that the editor suggested? Is it ok to resubmit and explain why I felt a certain part should remain the same?

Thank you for any info!

Taylor Duke

Reaction score
Just make the changes that you agree with. Ignore the rest.
Correction: make the changes you agree with and explain to your editor why you ignored the rest.

That way, he or she knows you're not being petulant; you've thought about why you've made various changes...or not.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
What you've received sounds like a rewrite request. It is not an acceptance, and even if you made every change the editor asked for they might still reject you in the end. It is your work and you have to feel confident in what you're presenting. If there are changes you disagree with, it's fine not to make the changes and send a note explaining why you disagree with certain points.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
What you've received sounds like a rewrite request. It is not an acceptance, and even if you made every change the editor asked for they might still reject you in the end.

This. Yep, been there. Went through two revision requests with the same publication, didn't see any harm to the story in doing as they asked, and they still rejected it for reasons that they'd originally told me had drawn their interest. *shrug*

The others make a good point on not seeming petulant.

dark_opus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.toddthorne.com
Agreed. I've been in the same boat. I put in some of the changes, explained why I refused to make other changes, and even made/suggested a slightly different change where I didn't agree with the editor's specific recommendation but realized something was needed.

I always included explanations too. In several cases my explanations then helped the editor and me get through several more rounds of polish. Pretty much any explanation from me that took 10 or more words was usually a sign that some kind of change was warranted.

Congrats on getting the feedback. Too few editors today seem able to provide it and end up dispatching a form rejection.

DiannaG

Registered
Reaction score
Congratz on getting feedback :) That means you're headed in the right direction.

Honestly, I would just make whichever changes wouldn't hurt the story in question, explain why I didn't make the other suggested changes and send it back. They still might not accept it, but even if they don't, your story's not any worse off for the editing.

TaylorDuke

Writer of Short Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone; I appreciate the advice.

I sent back a revision and explained why I left some things the same. The editor sent me back another e-mail with only a couple more suggestions. I made those changes and am currently awaiting another response. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
You done right! Fingers crossed...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Well my question is: should I make every edit to my story that the editor suggested? Is it ok to resubmit and explain why I felt a certain part should remain the same?

Whenever I get editorial letters (and everyone gets 'em, part of the life), I find that about one third of the suggestions leave me slapping my forehead and saying "Whew! Glad she caught that!" and make the change. About one third I say, "Okay, I can see it," and (because I don't really care one way or the other) usually make the change just so the editor will be happy. The last third leave me saying, "What are you smoking?" and those are changes I don't make.

Usually, making the first two kinds of changes causes the last kind to go away.

When the story goes back, I don't go into detail on what I did and didn't do, just return it with a note saying "I hope you like the re-write."

Remember, first last and always, it's your story.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Make only the changes you agree with, but realize that the editor can reject your story if he doesn't like it without other changes being made.

You always have the right to reject changes, and the editor always has the right to reject the story.

I usually make about ninety percent of requested changes, and it almost always works out. I have, however, had stories rejected because I didn't make one change the editor really wanted.

Rufus Leeking

Registered
Reaction score
I have, however, had stories rejected because I didn't make one change the editor really wanted.
this was the question I wondered about. I've not made all changes, and explained why, and the thing was still published. Still, I'm weasley, and told the editor to make the change if he disagreed with my reason.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
this was the question I wondered about. I've not made all changes, and explained why, and the thing was still published. Still, I'm weasley, and told the editor to make the change if he disagreed with my reason.

Just keep in mind that a rejection isn't the end of life. I sold those same stories to other magazines without making the changes I disagreed with. One editor wants something one way, another editor often wants it completely different.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much any explanation from me that took 10 or more words was usually a sign that some kind of change was warranted.

Usually, making the first two kinds of changes causes the last kind to go away.

Remember, first last and always, it's your story.

That is advice that I needed to hear. Thank you.

Good luck, Taylor. Hope everything is still going well with the story.

TaylorDuke

Writer of Short Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Well everyone, after 2 more revisions...

It got accepted!

I am so thrilled; and also motivated to keep on writing to get that great feeling of acceptance back again.

Thank you all for your help; it's much appreciated.

P.S. The story is appearing on Pure Slush. I will post a link when it becomes available. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

It got accepted!

I am so thrilled; and also motivated to keep on writing to get that great feeling of acceptance back again.

P.S. The story is appearing on Pure Slush. I will post a link when it becomes available. :)

That's wonderful! I look forward to reading it.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Congratulations on the acceptance!!!

I received a rejection on a story, mentioning that if I re-wrote it, they'd gladly take another look at it. I had the comments from their readers, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were smoking at the time...submitted it elsewhere without touching a thing, and it was accepted (and just published).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the acceptance!!!

I received a rejection on a story, mentioning that if I re-wrote it, they'd gladly take another look at it. I had the comments from their readers, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were smoking at the time...submitted it elsewhere without touching a thing, and it was accepted (and just published).

Been there, done that. Sometimes it's best to shake your head, and move on to the next market.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It got accepted!

That's amazing. Congrats!

TaylorDuke

Writer of Short Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!

Will post link when it becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.