Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly! I would not want a count of the number of times I've whined in this thread. Just having people you like and respect listen to you and react helps, you know? Sometimes all I want is a "Poor baby!" and a pat on the head.

As we all know, things can suck mightily yet still have a way of working themselves out. I hope that's the case with everything making us less than happy recently.

Me, I'm all good news, for a change.
  • No snow fell overnight, so I don't have to shovel today.
  • Mr. Maryn has accepted that Kid Two's room will not become a guest room before our guests arrive next weekend.
  • Kid Two has accepted that because he did not sort and box his things despite repeated requests, we have done so. (He even said I could keep the pennies I found on the rug after we'd put away his dinosaur bank and penny cup. Oh, boy, thirty-six cents!)
  • Mr. Maryn has said I do not have to get up to drive The Kid to the airport at 4:30 a.m. tomorrow; he'll do it.
  • Mr. Maryn has bowed to my preferences in regard to the color of the replacement comforter we've shopped for. (I don't like dark brown or red. This rules out 85% of the 'sophisticated' merchandise. Maybe I should go for Twilight-themed?)
  • Kid Two re-took the GRE (the test for grad school) yesterday and improved his verbal score, and scored a perfect 800 in math Since he's applying to competitive engineering programs, this bodes well.
  • What I wrote yesterday wasn't as bad as I though it was when I reread it late in the afternoon, when I was tired.

Maryn, bidding you all a happy-day good morning, sure to be balanced out by future grumpiness

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Tell kid Two we are all very proud and impressed! Smart kiddo, maybe had something to do with awesome parents. And I'm glad you don't have to get up so early to drive to the airport. $0.36, Woo-hoo! You're rich! :D

My rant has passed, but will come again. It's basically that I'm sick of my husband having to work 14-16 hour days everyday. The Army takes him away for years at a time while deployed, even when he's "home", he's often not here but gone to some other military post for months and weeks of training. And so when he is here, actually in the same town, I'm sick of them keeping him all day. I just want to spend time with him and I feel like his chain of command doesn't give a shit about the families. *shrug* Maybe I'm not as over my rant as I thought. Sorry.

I really am in a good mood this morning. I got to sleep in 'til 7! And we have snow! We never have snow. My kids school got canceled and I made waffles and bacon for breakfast. Now, time to go refill my coffee.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Better start today, did yoga and walked little dog. They say snow, and the schools are closing. I predict a nothing event. However, if it snows, then gets to 33 then back below 32 we could have ice and in the south where people aren't used to driving in that and we don't have snow plows, etc - yeah...not good. I live at the bottom of a hill. If there is ice, we're in.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People up north don't drive well on ice, either. Well, 75% of them do, but the bozos in their SUVs who think they can't skid endanger us all.

My street has been plowed over and over, but it's still got about a five-inch layer of what looks like an Icee, the Coke flavor. Or maybe maple sugar. It shifts, so it's like driving in sand; I can't get out without at least a smallish skid.

But man, you guys in the South are totally getting socked! Most of the cities don't even own plows or stocks of road salt, or don't have enough. You be careful, y'hear?

Maryn, remembering when Austin about closed down over one inch of fluffy snow

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
We have slightly less than an inch of snow, and you'd think it's the Armageddon here. My daughter did manage to still make a decent snowman, but she had to haul snow from all over the yard to do it.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We haven't had good snowman snow yet. It's been too cold for it to pack well. But it'll come, and I've promised myself that this year, I'm making a snowman even if I do it all by myself.

Maryn, who misses having kids

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Nice weather here. Snow on the ground but not on the roads, sidewalks or driveways (except for the tiny side that I was too pooped out to shovel) and the sun is shining. Colder than snot (okay that doesn't make sense but you get the idea) and I'm studying--studying

and did I mention, I'm studying?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far the weather has been disappointing. Just spitting and melting when it hits the ground. bah.

Maryn I have a fun snowman/epiphany story. When I was 24 I moved back home for a few months. My dad and I went out to make a snowman and I was getting hot and asked if I could take off my hat. Dad looked at me in puzzlement and said, "You're grown up." Oh yeah....It was a good moment.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
One year it snowed on Halloween. Snow-covered scarecrows are a really interesting sight,if a bit strange.
I hear there is ice on Old Man River. I wonder if the Ohio will freeze this year.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My work is closing in 20 minutes due to possible snow! WOOT! Here's hoping they decide not to reopen until next week. :)

POSSIBLE SNOW!?!?!?!

We once had a storm that dropped so much snow the trees snapped under the weight. It was over 2 feet of snow. I had to move a fell tree to get through the door at work! And dig my way up the walkway to get there!

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Morning House.
My 18w's are decidedly floppy this morning. Maybe I should go eat all the sesame beef Roomie left in the fridge except that I don't think I could eat it all in one setting.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes Kevin, but you get snow all the time. We don't so people panic. We're rather blaise about hurricanes, for example.

So - they said an inch of snow yesterday. NOTHING!! ! SOme sleet. So I get up check the tv and tell hubby we have to go to work, the roads are fine. And on my way in - YOU GUESSED IT- BIG FAT SNOW FLAKES start falling. BAH!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a day full of driving, so of course it's snowing pretty good, and steady. The plows aren't keeping up very well, and I dread driving right by the bay, where the winds and snow are always more severe.

But I got The Kid to the airport on time, without incident. Now I can just fret whether the weather is good enough to fly, or whether it's good enough to land at her connector. But once she reaches San Diego, mid-70s!

So what's up with the bozobutts who clear a spot on their windshield the size of a dinner plate, then drive off. They can't see!

Maryn, frustrated with bad drivers taking chances with her safety

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn I have a fun snowman/epiphany story. When I was 24 I moved back home for a few months. My dad and I went out to make a snowman and I was getting hot and asked if I could take off my hat. Dad looked at me in puzzlement and said, "You're grown up." Oh yeah....It was a good moment.
That is a super cute story. :)
Yes Kevin, but you get snow all the time. We don't so people panic. We're rather blaise about hurricanes, for example.
Same here, except we are a bit blasé about tornadoes. Snow is rare and just a bit of it on the ground means no school. So the kids are happy and we have over an inch of it covering the ground now (I know, it's a tiny amount, but out here, it is heaven). I predict a snowball fight this afternoon. :D

I've got a day full of driving, so of course it's snowing pretty good, and steady. The plows aren't keeping up very well, and I dread driving right by the bay, where the winds and snow are always more severe.

But I got The Kid to the airport on time, without incident. Now I can just fret whether the weather is good enough to fly, or whether it's good enough to land at her connector. But once she reaches San Diego, mid-70s!

So what's up with the bozobutts who clear a spot on their windshield the size of a dinner plate, then drive off. They can't see!

Maryn, frustrated with bad drivers taking chances with her safety
I thought Mr. Maryn was taking the kiddo to the airport. Well, anyway, glad she got there safely. I know what you mean about stupid drivers being so careless with your safety. It infuriates me.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Her early flight was canceled due to weather conditions at its destination, so they had to re-book her on a later one that took another route. She needed to arrive at the airport while Mr. Maryn was at work. Not a big deal, just one of a zillion outings of the day. Later I'll go feed her cat.

Maryn, sort of house-sitting

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
first full week of work since my return is NOW DONE!

oy vey. i really should be an unemployed waif. it suits me remarkably! only, i really love the people i work for and with...i just feel like a beach bum these days. le sigh.

on another note---when i was in kenya i found out that i made it on the Top 10 Finalist for the WCDR Wicked Words prose competition! The winner gets $500. They will be announcing the winners tomorrow at the breakfast meeting. i know i won't win...but it was such an honour to make the finalist...i never dreamed my experimental horror piece would even show! it was the one that i did for the horror contest here. trish knows the one. (-;

k, glad it's friday!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Kevin, and welcome back.

I just returned from the scientific meeting in Seattle. It was a good one. Since I'm the elected honcho, I had the Sheraton's Presidential Suite. The bathroom had a shower, jacuzzi tub that could fit about four people (estimated, not verified), and a sauna that could fit around eight (again, estimated). We had a couple of good parties up there, and some solid business meetings. Overall, we had an overwhelming positive response from the attendees (total registration count - over 1,700). Our next annual meeting will be in Salt Lake City, which will be my final year of honchodom.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Housekins. The paper made it official--it's snowed every day since Christmas. Today we will reach a balmy 17 degrees.

The Kid's cat hates me, I think. I'm good with kitties, so it's not like I made any moves which threatened her, but she got seriously territorial when I came in to feed her. It's kind of funny; The Kid's worried about poor Button not getting lovey cuddles, and I'm worried about blood loss. I brought a book and stayed a while, and didn't try to touch her, giving her a chance to see I'm safe, but when I went into another room, she saw my exposed wrist as I reached for the doorknob and made an amazing leap with claws unsheathed.

Clearly my presence is a stressor, so the rest of the time The Kid is gone, I'll just go in, set out food, tidy the litter box as needed, and get the hell out. Damned shame; I was looking forward to some kitty-lovin' myself.

Maryn, barefoot and cold-feeted (sorry, Sassy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.