3rd POV to 1st POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omid

I began my book a month ago and had agreed that there would be 3 chapters to the journey (following 3 characters.) I began writing it in 3rd POV but as time progressed, I just wasn't enjoying it as much. Yet I kept with it and finished the first chapter/stage.
I started the second one and this time, switched to a 1st POV.
Now, it actually works as the first stage/chapter is mostly an introduction, that doesn't deal as closely to the characters' feelings, emotions, thoughts as it does with the environment and general behaviour. The second chapter, however, is one that focuses deeply on the mind and its process throughout the journey.
Yet is this valid? Has it been done before? If anything, I would change the 3rd POV stuff to 1st POV. But I still figured to ask if you can do this sudden switch without alienating the reader or losing him or her.

Cheers

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There's no rule. The proof is in the pudding (dang, is that ever a good cliché!), which means it's all wet and soggy and icky . . . and I don't have a clue what significance that has . . . where was I? -- oh, yes, I remember: Go write the thing and see if it works.

caw.

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Perhaps read aloud a sample from the end in first style and then read aloud a sample from the beginning in second style. Does it work? Have you confused yourself? Can't tell?

Then mayhaps ask someone else to read samples from the two styles. If they, too, are confused beyond repair, then maybe you need to change the POV.

Basically, if it's written/done well, it will work.

slobbit

Registered
Reaction score
Having different POV for different characters has been done. Check out the "Jenny" triology by Elizabeth Bear: Hammered, Scardown, Worldwired. Jenny's scenes are first person present. Other characters are third person past-imperfect.

Different POV will fit different characters, and 1st person isn't necessarily more revealing than 3rd. I've got a character who'll lie through his teeth to convince himself he's doing the right thing. As a result he's too unreliable as a direct narrator. Deep 3rd however shows his inner turmoil without the layer of ego.

You can also try writing the same scene from different PsOV and see what fits best.

I went away, and read original message again, and noticed the remark that the first chapter is more of an introduction. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem right? Does the story start in the first chapter, or is the first chapter backstory?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.