• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Multiple POV characters - which to use for the sex scenes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
I alternate them in mine, because each brings something different to it. If you go for thecmale perspective have you a male beta who can look at it?

This is what I did in mine. I wanted to show what they were both feeling in the moment and how in-sync or out of sync their thoughts and emotions were. I don't really know how standard or preferred this is, though, by publishers (I'm not published yet), but I enjoyed writing it and I enjoy reading it so I think it's OK.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The problem I'm having is not about how to write a sex scene, but how to get into my male character's head in a sex scene.

Please consider that some of the extremely competent (frequently rather inspired) erotica writers active on this forums might actually be able to help you with this.

It is, contrary to your apparent assumptions, part of writing erotic scenes and the erotic sub-forums are frequented by those who write erotica, erotic romance, literary sex scenes and any other genre in which sex may occur and therefore should be written with skill and nuance.

Goldbirch

Shy Betula alleghaniensis
Registered
Reaction score
I have tried writing the scene from his POV once, but it went somewhere COMPLETELY unexpected and made me blush. It also made him look like a jerk.

Did it just make him look like a jerk, or is your character actually a jerk? (Or rather, a jerk about this - he could be a fine, noble character in many ways and still have areas of jerkdom.) I'm sometimes really reluctant to write a character being a jerk. Especially a character I like, and especially around such a loaded subject as sex. Don't know if that's the case for you.

If it was me, I'd try to get through a draft in his POV (possibly in a seperate, easily deleted file) without worrying about whether he's being a jerk or a dork or a convincing romantic male or anything, and just worry about whether he's being himself. And then worry about what people will think of him/me later.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Did it just make him look like a jerk, or is your character actually a jerk? (Or rather, a jerk about this - he could be a fine, noble character in many ways and still have areas of jerkdom.) I'm sometimes really reluctant to write a character being a jerk. Especially a character I like, and especially around such a loaded subject as sex. Don't know if that's the case for you.

He's been a jerk with the other girls, but he's supposed to be gradually shedding his jerkdom (that sounds really wrong) with this one, coz yanno - she's the love interest. but the scene I wrote from his POV still made him look really selfish and quickly descended into something altogether not romantic, lol.

< Think drogo on his wedding night (TV version) ;)

If it was me, I'd try to get through a draft in his POV (possibly in a seperate, easily deleted file) without worrying about whether he's being a jerk or a dork or a convincing romantic male or anything, and just worry about whether he's being himself. And then worry about what people will think of him/me later.

Good advice, and I plan on doing exactly this in 3...2...1...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.