CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
When they're hacking Westboro Baptist's twitter accounts/website, I'm totally okay with it.

Anything else, well. Let's just say I'm not clicking the link.

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
"Anonymous", do good deeds for society.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
"Anonymous", (occasionally) do good deeds for society.

To balance that, for the most part they are self serving, arrogant, self entitled snots.

Oh really? How many members do you know?

Melanie Dawn

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.
Registered
Reaction score
I like Anon.. I think their ideology is in the right frame of mind, even if they get a little carried away with threats and such.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know much about the group, but I have a tendency to distrust organizations whose members, as a matter of course, cloak their identities in order to do "what's right". They can - and have, apparently - used this anonymity to attack anyone and anything they disagree with. I prefer to make my own decisions on right and wrong and make my own statements about such. Self-indulgent or self-righteous - probably both.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
When they're hacking Westboro Baptist's twitter accounts/website, I'm totally okay with it.

Anything else, well. Let's just say I'm not clicking the link.

Not sure I understand. This one sounds like a good thing to me.

Anonymous threatened to expose the high school athletes who weren't charged along with Mays and Richmond but allegedly called themselves the "rape crew" and helped take and spread photos of the girl as well as cover up the incident if they didn't publicly apologize before January 1st. It looks like they're making good on that threat.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you are keeping up on the hacker group, "Anonymous." Their latest conquest:

Anonymous Leaks Horrifying Video of Steubenville High Schoolers Joking About Raping a Teenager ‘Deader than Trayvon Martin’

Thought it would interesting to see where people stand on what Anonymous is doing.

Be warned the above link has a video that is very graphic. I did not watch it but read the description.

Thanks for sharing this. I hate the sentiment that this is totally natural behavior and "boys will be boys." It's always this way. People insist they don't mean it when they say it and then are shocked, and even disbelieving, when they do.

uh fuck that noise

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Is there evidence that he actually raped someone or is he just being a dumbass kid? Because dumbass kids are dumbasses and then they grow up and sometimes learn to not be dumbasses.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Is there evidence that he actually raped someone or is he just being a dumbass kid? Because dumbass kids are dumbasses and then they grow up and sometimes learn to not be dumbasses.

I don't think he should get any jail time, but if he went to high school with me, I'd definitely out him as someone who watched a girl get raped, joked about it on video (on the night that it happened), tweeted more jokes about it and then denied it ever happened to cover up for his rapist friends. Cause that doesn't make him a dumbass kid as much as a shitty human being.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know quite what to say about Anonymous, I have mixed feelings and aren't even quite sure what they are.

While looking around I found this:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wo...rmented-in-death/story-fnd134gw-1226497411838
Hacker group Anonymous released personal details of the man it claims posted topless pictures of a 15-year-old girl online and harassed her so mercilessly she committed suicide.
The article (and especially the mother of the man named) seems to indicate there's some question as to whether the person named is the actual abuser. But presuming he is, and that they can reliably do this in other cases, I'd very much like to see such abusers exposed BEFORE such a suicide happens. (hey, it' free advice, folks)

The story links to this article with a short history of Anonymous:
Why hacktivist group Anonymous is playing a 'whole different ball game'
http://www.news.com.au/technology/w...fferent-ballgame/story-e6frfro0-1226497878798

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My problem with Annon is that they are reactionary without thinking through the consequences.

IE... When they did a DOS, denial of service attack, on various websites like Pay Pal and Dropbox, because of those sites stance on Wikileaks. What Annon did not consider are all the small businesses that rely on sites like Pay Pal on a daily basis. There was a lot more hard feelings towards Annon from those DOS attacks than any good will they generated toward wikileaks...

My other issue with Annon is that they claim there is no central body and any wacko's can act in Annons name? How are we innocent bystanders to understand it was a wacko and not a real Annon project? They all look the same to me...

For me, the reality is that its very hard to take Annon seriously as a voice for the downtrodden or that they are against the unjust, because of their reactionary methods.

Now, if Annon had a political action committee that tried to change things from within a system, they might have more support than those who just cause mischief outside a system... Whatever that system is...

Or so are my opinions on Annon and don't get me started on Wikileaks...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My problem with Annon is that they are reactionary without thinking through the consequences.

IE... When they did a DOS, denial of service attack, on various websites like Pay Pal and Dropbox, because of those sites stance on Wikileaks. What Annon did not consider are all the small businesses that rely on sites like Pay Pal on a daily basis. There was a lot more hard feelings towards Annon from those DOS attacks than any good will they generated toward wikileaks...

That's why they're the id. Not the ego or superego.

My other issue with Annon is that they claim there is no central body and any wacko's can act in Annons name? How are we innocent bystanders to understand it was a wacko and not a real Annon project? They all look the same to me...

The only difference is which ones gather enough (competent) support and popularity to carry out. Otherwise, there is no difference.

For me, the reality is that its very hard to take Annon seriously as a voice for the downtrodden or that they are against the unjust, because of their reactionary methods.

I'm not sure that's what they try to be.

Now, if Annon had a political action committee that tried to change things from within a system, they might have more support than those who just cause mischief outside a system... Whatever that system is...

If they did that, it wouldn't resemble Anonymous anymore. It'd just be another political group. Anonymous doesn't want that.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm getting deja vu. I'm sure we've had an Anonymous discussion here earlier in the year.

Anonymous are a powerful ally and a terrible enemy. When they're uniting for the social good they do brilliant work, but... well... this is a group with its roots in 4chan. There's a reason I can't stand to even lurk there anymore.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's easier if you think of Anonymous as a social phenomenon rather than an organization.

I'm getting deja vu. I'm sure we've had an Anonymous discussion here earlier in the year.

Really? The year is less than two days old...

Anonymous are a powerful ally and a terrible enemy. When they're uniting for the social good they do brilliant work, but... well... this is a group with its roots in 4chan. There's a reason I can't stand to even lurk there anymore.

4chan is the Mos Eisley of the internet. It may be a hive of scum and villainy, but where else are you going to go to find Han Solo? I hear Yoda hangs out there too, and trolls /pol/ threads.

Though actually, most Anonymous activity coordinated via IRC these days.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Really? The year is less than two days old...

If I close my eyes I can pretend 2012 isn't over.

Dammit it's not working!

4chan is the Mos Eisley of the internet. It may be a hive of scum and villainy, but where else are you going to go to find Han Solo?

Best description of 4chan I've ever seen.

The other half, who still lurks and nurses a helpless addiction to the wallpaper boards, just scolded me for not knowing that IRC has pretty much always been huge on 4chan. Makes sense, because all the cool kids have an IRC channel. But in my head 4chan is forever linked to the imageboards and their eye-burning images.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The other half, who still lurks and nurses a helpless addiction to the wallpaper boards, just scolded me for not knowing that IRC has pretty much always been huge on 4chan. Makes sense, because all the cool kids have an IRC channel. But in my head 4chan is forever linked to the imageboards and their eye-burning images.

Some boards are more civilized than others... Were you a /b/tard?