Are you a storyteller or a writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Are you a storyteller or a writer? This question came up in my MFA program. One of our professors told each of us which we were. Obviously, we are all both, but it was just a matter of where our strengths are. I got storyteller, which didn't surprise me since a lot of be pieces seem to be plot heavy, but I would (and so would my professor) still consider them literary.

So, which do you think you are a storyteller or a writer? I am asking this in the literary section because I want to know what you guys, who also write literary fiction, think. Also, does considering yourself more one than another mean anything? Is it really an indication of what your strengths are and maybe what you need to work on? Or maybe it is just all in good fun. Which are you?

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I think I'm a writer because I spend more energy on the mechanics of which words go where and I'm not as good at backing away and seeing the story as a whole.

For example, I tend to rush off and write a story "about" something, and focus on the words to the exclusion of other story elements. What I've learned relatively recently is that the "about" is just the premise. The full story needs an "about" or course, but also a "how," a "why," and a progression from "about" to "result." One thing I've been doing to help with this is to draft a query letter fairly early in the writing process to help me focus on the whole story, including the "result." It's helped.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I think (hope) I'm more storyteller. The writing (mechanics) bit is basically engrained.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Having been told on several occasions that I'm 'just' a storyteller, I have an answer to that question, but it's not fit for polite company.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Having been told on several occasions that I'm 'just' a storyteller, I have an answer to that question, but it's not fit for polite company.

I've been told I was more of a storyteller than a writer for years. In fact, I was told I was lucky I had such great story ideas and really knew how to find and tell stories that it made up for my writing. It did not stop me from getting published or landing jobs so I'm not sure how bad I really was. Now, writing fiction, I know my stories can be story heavy. They rely more on plot and the situation and the writing could be called almost simple.

However, another one of my professors recently complimented me on my writing -- the actual writing. I had to tell him that it went against what I have been told in the past.

We are all obviously both, even though I do believe my strength is in storytelling. But years of practice has upped my writing skills.

Last edited:

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a storyteller. I have a lot of work to do on the tech side of my writing, I'm not a great writer, but people always want to know how I come up with the ideas I create. It boggles their minds how I create the worlds that I do. That is why I consider myself a storyteller. I have no problem with that. I will continue to work hard to improve my writing, but if I had to pick which I'd rather have my strength in, it would be my story telling.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This seems like something I (with a distinction in my writing MA, and a long list of prizes for my short fiction and poetry) wouldn't worry about at all.

The questions I'd ask are, do people want to read my work? If not, why not?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
This seems like something I (with a distinction in my writing MA, and a long list of prizes for my short fiction and poetry) wouldn't worry about at all.

The questions I'd ask are, do people want to read my work? If not, why not?

I thought it would be fun to see if people thought they were storyteller or writers. Plus, thinking about which you are means you are thinking about your strengths and weaknesses. Your question is fine, too, but maybe not as easily answered. At least for me.

Last edited:

Unsavory

Registered
Reaction score
I bitterly, angrily, admit that I am a writer. From the dozens of rejection letters I've received, as well as peer reviews, I can confirm that my writing is well done and competent, but my storytelling doesn't seem to resonate with anyone.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm a writer. I believe I'm good with the mechanics and can craft pretty decent sentences and paragraphs. I create realistic characters, interesting worlds, but the story? That's where I fall flat on my face. No amount of pretty words can hide that fact.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I am a story teller. Writing exhausts me and the only pleasure is the finished story told well.

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely a writer, even though I don't really know if I'm any good at that either yet. I can't tell a good good night story for the life of me. And I really want all my characters to just be happy and kind to each other!

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I'm a writer. I've had agent after agent praise my writing or my voice in personal rejections. But that doesn't mean anything if they don't want your work. I think I have interesting stories to tell but I'm only now learning about tension. Sigh. This is a long business. I may die before I publish anything...

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a storyteller. I have a lot of work to do on the tech side of my writing, I'm not a great writer, but people always want to know how I come up with the ideas I create. It boggles their minds how I create the worlds that I do. That is why I consider myself a storyteller. I have no problem with that. I will continue to work hard to improve my writing, but if I had to pick which I'd rather have my strength in, it would be my story telling.

I agree - more people excelling in the latter seem to get published than the former. It's what I've opted to focus on more as well. The ideal is both, of course, but elegant sentences and evocative descriptions alone aren't going to get people parting with their money nearly as much as a good mystery to be solved, immersion in a different world or following a character they care about.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree - more people excelling in the latter seem to get published than the former. It's what I've opted to focus on more as well. The ideal is both, of course, but elegant sentences and evocative descriptions alone aren't going to get people parting with their money nearly as much as a good mystery to be solved, immersion in a different world or following a character they care about.

Yep. When I get personalized rejections from agents, publishers or magazine editors they usually say my writing is good and tight, but that the story had problems of pacing or they couldn't connect to the characters.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I love good stories, which is the principle reason why I write. I've worked hard to improve the mechanics, but this always gives out to questions about character, setting, theme, etc.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I'm definitely a storyteller. My reviews are never going to mention "lush, beautiful prose." I can't really turn a phrase. But if I'm good at at anything, it's character and emotion. I'm so interested in these people. I feel their stories. I try and keep the prose out of the way of the story.

tarot

super fancy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably a writer. I flounder when it comes to the next plot point, but I usually don't have a hard time getting phrases out on paper once I know where it's going. I think my reading habits also lean more toward writers than story tellers too - I'm more likely to remember specific masterful bits of writing than interesting stories/progressions. I would like to work on balancing this, in both reading and writing. Sometimes I feel like my writing is a veneer - it can be very pretty, but the story underneath isn't always getting the energy it deserves.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I met with a friend yesterday that told me she tried to write a story like me. It was an interesting comment. Her writing is so lovely where mine is so minimalistic. She is by far a writer first, but she can tell a great story. I wouldn't even know how to begin to write a story like hers.

I just get so into my story that I don't really think about the words I am putting down. Somehow, I think I will be saved by the story. And I usually am. I started to try and write poetry so I would pay more attention to language. Still, pretty prose seem to be hard for me.

I think it comes from my background as a journalist where the story is always more important than the way it is told. Do you guys know why you are more storyteller or writer? And what do you do to achieve more of a balance?

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it comes from my background as a journalist where the story is always more important than the way it is told. Do you guys know why you are more storyteller or writer? And what do you do to achieve more of a balance?

As a research scientist by training, I make my living by publishing the results of experiments. In that case, precise descriptions matter and story doesn't.

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
It's a really interesting question and not one I'd ever considered before nor been asked to consider! I would say I am definitely a storyteller particularly at this point in time. In my earlier books, I'm definitely a writer but over the years I just want to tell the story that I have in mind. My writing is definitely less wordy and descriptive these days simply so that the story is not obscured and to allow the novel to romp along at a good pace.

So yes, the short answer is storyteller!

CynHolt

Registered
Reaction score
My original introduction post was to call myself a storyteller. I've been known to turn a phrase or two, but words, syntax, grammar, etc. are not nearly as important to me as engaging your imagination. I see them as tools, a means to an end. That end being the adventure, thrill, and excitement of a good story. I always have and probably always will struggle with the text.

I see your professor's point. I have known far too many English professors that don't understand why they can't get published. They are too in love with words. Lots and lots of pretty prose, no real message, no real story, but it sounds pretty. I would rather read an awkwardly phrased, badly spelled story full of fragmented sentences, than listen to sibilance any time.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Hmmm. I can't ever get past poor writing, even if the story sounds like it's good. I think you need to have command of basic writing skills and those can be learned. I have to say there are many books that I look at on Amazon, read the first pages and go "nope." Dull writing will kill a story pretty fast, at least for this reader.

On another note, "descriptive" doesn't have to slow down your story. It can further it, depending on how it's done. I'm thinking of Station Eleven - the descriptions in it seem germane to the whole story. And that book was terrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.