Status
Not open for further replies.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
The problem when I "see" it, I tend to "tell, vs. show". So I have sort of trained myself to hear. Not always, and it is no tried and true operation. I guess I sometimes try to visualize aspects like a documentary.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome General Tso. I love your chicken. I have a question about your one POV character at a time strategy. What do you do when they interact? I assume your characters talk to each other.
I think you're complicating things more than they need to be. Write the story as it unfolds, according to your outline.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I get to see a movie, and I describe the movie as it unfolds.
I want to add, I understand that there are no rules as far as the creative process goes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And what works for Stephen King may not work for Steven Sarber. But if I could only plug a USB port into my head and download the images and words in my mind, wow, then we'd have something.

General Tso

you know you want some
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments RJK.

My POV characters do indeed interact. In fact, I only have a couple minor (non-POV) characters so far. So most of the time, my POV characters are interacting with each other. But I'm not very concerned about that aspect of my strategy. I will select the POV character based on who has the most interesting view for that scene. As a reference for me and anyone else who is interested, I am a big fan of George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings etc.). They contain an enormous cast of characters including multiple POVs who interact.

However, I am still apprehensive about linear vs. character order of writing. Thank you for your vote of confidence in favor of the standard linear timeline order of writing.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
GT, I think you would still find it useful to write an outline of the story for each POV character. I found it a helpful method to make sure they were acting in character, and to see more clearly what their reactions and initiatives would be as circumstances changed.

Ophelia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping to read all this thread before I contributed as I didn't want to have to open discussions that have already been thoroughly explored.

I have been desperate for advice on *how to write a novel* and was trawling the Internet for anything that would help

I stumbled on this website and Learning to write with Uncle Jim (and his many friends) and have managed to read up to page 33 - I intend on continuing my journey through this epic thread but was becoming impatient so could not hold back any longer from introducing myself to this fabulous community.

I am 39 and have always wanted to be a writer - unfortunately the minor problem holding me back was that I didn't write anything...mainly as I was convinced no one would like it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had an experience which enabled me to get over that and start my first book (which has haunted me for years)

It has taken a year to write and now I have sent it off to a (recommended) editor at

http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/ (at no small cost as I am sure you are all aware)

The editor is Emma Darwin http://www.emmadarwin.com/

I am expecting her report at the end of next week.....

Since I have begun to read this thread I think I know what Ms Darwin will say about my precious labour of love...

However I now know the best way to learn how to write a book is to write one, so the sequel has started. I need to firm up my BIC and I would like to say the best piece of advice, or the bit which is the most useful to me at the moment is 'write, write anything but just write'. Whilst writing my book I agonized over practically every page but now I know I can write anything (cos it's going to be revised anyway - right?) and the important bit is those squiggly black things on the screen.

I intend to write this sequel until I reach The End and then I will put it in a drawer for month (which is effectively where my first novel sits)

When my first book returns from the editor and a willing beta reader (I never knew that term) then no doubt re writing will begin in earnest.

Anyway, enough of me, I have tired myself out with my first post - I just wanted a moment of heartfelt sycophancy to say thank you very much for everything I have learnt so far on this thread.

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Ophelia. I too, stumbled upon Uncle Jim's thread, and found it invaluable. I have compared it to a graduate course in novel writing. Read the whole thread. You won't be disappointed. (You can probably skim over the silly arguments). It seems you’ve already learned the first lesson BIC. You can’t be a writer if you don’t write.
Good luck with your novel.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
BIC

Welcome Ophelia. I too, stumbled upon Uncle Jim's thread, and found it invaluable. I have compared it to a graduate course in novel writing. Read the whole thread. You won't be disappointed. (You can probably skim over the silly arguments). It seems you’ve already learned the first lesson BIC. You can’t be a writer if you don’t write.
Good luck with your novel.

What is BIC?

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
Butt In Chair

Last edited:

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to edit the above reply but I think I broke the program.

BIC is Butt In Chair. Sit your butt in you chair in front of your keyboard and start typing.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have tried to put all my ifs, ands and buts in a chair. However, what works best is putting butt in chair. :)

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Title of a Story

Hi there everyone,

The one thing I hate is thinking of a title for a story. Is there a magic formula, system, method, etc. for thinking of a title? I'm stuck to be honest and my working title is not too attractive, based on accumulated comments.

Help?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until you've finished the story. My understanding is that often titles get changed before publication anyhow. I know that's true for articles, at least. I wouldn't worry so much about the title as I would about getting the story written.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting is good. But it can come early, too. Write down your ideas as they come and look for the one that catches your intrest as if you were in a bookstore browsing. That's how I came up with "A Birthday Suicide". That title popped in to my head and it was like, "Wow! If I saw that on a shelf I would at least be checking out the synopsis on back to see what it was all about." That's my two cents.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
The one thing I hate is thinking of a title for a story. Is there a magic formula, system, method, etc. for thinking of a title? I'm stuck to be honest and my working title is not too attractive, based on accumulated comments.

I usually give my titles "working titles" for the duration of drafting it and that, and then once it's done, change it.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting is good. But it can come early, too. Write down your ideas as they come and look for the one that catches your intrest as if you were in a bookstore browsing. That's how I came up with "A Birthday Suicide". That title popped in to my head and it was like, "Wow! If I saw that on a shelf I would at least be checking out the synopsis on back to see what it was all about." That's my two cents.

I like that idea, too, Steven. Thanks.

Ophelia

Registered
Reaction score
My experience was as described by bsolah - I had a working title - which was the name of the POV character and when the final chapters were revealed to me I had a better idea as to what the title should be. I took a traditional Irish folk song (my story is based in Ireland) and used an appropriate line from that (By the Rising of the Moon)

It did take some time to come up with that idea and at one point I even spent valuable writing time playing (unsuccessfully) with a title generator I found through Google.

Even now I suspect that if it ever went to be published then it would probably change.

My WIP title is 'Lily's story' as I had a false start which included a character called Lily - Lily has now revealed herself as a different character called Siobhan and the story is no longer based around her but I am not too concerned at this early stage. It will stay as Lily's Story until:

1) Something else occurs to me
2) I come to The End and have to change it

It may be that a title will will pop into my head such as smsarber's A Birthday Suicide (cool title) - hopefully it will.

Perhaps also your beta readers may have some ideas? What kind of titles already exist in the genre you are writing? Is there a theme? Is it best to use those as a template - or to do something completely different? When you are browsing in a bookshop what kind of titles jump out at you? What makes you think 'I really want to read that?' What kind of books are on your bookshelf? Which have the best titles and why?

Perhaps spend sometime in a bookshop browsing titles and see what happens......in fact I think I might just do that when the WIP is finished...

Chris Grey

Vagrant Story
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

Help?

Pick up a copy of Hamlet. Close your eyes. Flip through it and blindly put your finger down on a page. Open your eyes. Where your finger is pointing is your title.

And.. backing up a little. Blue, every character has a story to tell that'll break your heart. If they're alive or ever have been, they're interesting... from the right perspective.

Callio, the easiest way to get across what your character thinks is by having her open her mouth. What we say and how we say it says everything about us. If there's no way to get it across through her actions or speech, and it really is vital to the story that the reader know this bit of exposition, well, if showing is awkward, just tell. Keith Snyder cannot be linked to enough:
I’m pro-tell. I like being told when it’s the most efficient way to get a piece of information across, or there’s some other reason it’s a better choice than show...

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. Know the difference, and choose according to whether you need to engage or inform at this particular moment in the narrative...
There are no rules in writing (You do not talk about Write Club). I mean, yeah, there are and people will tell you them, but they're more like guidelines. Do whatever you need to do to write and perfect your story.

Sailor Kenshin

I am too on MSN IM! :(
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaganshikenshin.livejournal.com
Hi there everyone,

Help?

Yes!

And I can sell you the secret for a mere ten thousand dollars!

Status
Not open for further replies.