The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Why don't agents ever offer some advice? I appreciate that they are turning the project down, but if they see something wrong why don't they offer at least a little help.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think we need some sunshine in this room! :Sun::Sun:

Remember: Rejections mean you are in the game. Think about all those people who had to suffer through hundreds of rejections, doubting themselves a little more with each one, only to finally get that one reply.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I've gathered over a hundred already. I send out about a dozen per day. I know they want to be exclusive but I wouldn't live long enough if I did one at a time. Do you think they know I am sending out multiples and that's why I get rejected?

JoyceD

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good question. I am doing the same thing, but not quite as much. And, yes, it would take forever. Especially since some do not reply unless interested.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I visited a publisher in NY and the person reviewing someones manuscript was a temp receptionist. He was making the decision for someone's dream, career and passion.

it-girl

U r the 1 they've been waiting for.
Registered
Reaction score
I visited a publisher in NY and the person reviewing someones manuscript was a temp receptionist. He was making the decision for someone's dream, career and passion.
That is horrible.

I got my 2nd nice R today. Since I am new to the world of sending a query letter I am not too disappointed. The first R came after a few pages were requested so I did have a high note with my first R at least.

I wonder how agents feel when they find out that they passed on a best seller? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Or has anyone experienced this personally? I am just curious.

ElizaFaith13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlgamersunite.blogspot.com
That is horrible.

I got my 2nd nice R today. Since I am new to the world of sending a query letter I am not too disappointed. The first R came after a few pages were requested so I did have a high note with my first R at least.

I wonder how agents feel when they find out that they passed on a best seller? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Or has anyone experienced this personally? I am just curious.

Take a looks at Stephenie Meyer's experience below

I sent out around fifteen queries (and I still get residual butterflies in my stomach when I drive by the mailbox I sent the letters from—mailing them was terrifying.). I will state, for the record, that my queries truly sucked, and I don't blame anyone who sent me a rejection (I did get seven or eight of those. I still have them all, too). The only rejection that really hurt was from a small agent who actually read the first chapter before she dropped the axe on me. The meanest rejection I got came after Little, Brown had picked me up for a three-book deal, so it didn't bother me at all. I'll admit that I considered sending back a copy of that rejection stapled to the write-up my deal got in Publisher's Weekly, but I took the higher road.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Why don't agents ever offer some advice? I appreciate that they are turning the project down, but if they see something wrong why don't they offer at least a little help.

I agree! I mean I know why agents don't give feedback a lot of the time. They are much too busy for that a lot of the time. And when you finally get an agent you will probably be thankful if they are taking more time on you project than talking about ones they are rejecting....BUT I would SO rather know that there is something wrong than to get "I liked it but it's not for me", or "thanks but no thanks."
just tell me what I need to do! (and this is coming from someone who, so far, has only recieved three rejections, I just started submitting last month). Oh, boy.

p.s. Anybody else have issues with people who know you are submitting a novel but know nothing about the industry. I get at least a comment a week "So did you get that book published yet?" haha. And this started just after I finished the first draft. Seriously guy? and even after telling them it may take years to get it published. It makes the rejection process even worse.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Elizafaith13-- that's pretty awesome.

on the same subject, though I never heard specifics, when I was at a conference a few weeks ago Janet Ried and Donald Maass (as well as two other agents) were in a Q&A session together and Janet mentioned this. She said something along the times of "I hate it when I send a rejection only to find out, months later, that it's on the best seller list and even worse-- represented by my arch enemy Donald Maass". I made up some of that because I don't remember what she said exactly but she mentioned at it does happen and she HATEs it. haha. Donald Maass also commented that there is usually one self published book that sells like crazy every year, usually ones who were simply rejected way too many times. Not even top agents can predict what will sell all the time.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree! I mean I know why agents don't give feedback a lot of the time. They are much too busy for that a lot of the time. And when you finally get an agent you will probably be thankful if they are taking more time on you project than talking about ones they are rejecting....BUT I would SO rather know that there is something wrong than to get "I liked it but it's not for me", or "thanks but no thanks."
just tell me what I need to do! (and this is coming from someone who, so far, has only recieved three rejections, I just started submitting last month). Oh, boy.

p.s. Anybody else have issues with people who know you are submitting a novel but know nothing about the industry. I get at least a comment a week "So did you get that book published yet?" haha. And this started just after I finished the first draft. Seriously guy? and even after telling them it may take years to get it published. It makes the rejection process even worse.

I hear ya. At first my family and friends were excited, everytime they talked to me they would ask how it was going. Now, only three months later...they don't ask

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no agent Tromboli but I bet I can pick out a few reasons why it might get rejected. I could have a look but you'd probably be better off posting your query on QLH and your first chapter in the appropriate SYW.

(read the forum description for Share Your Work for the password)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I am girding my loins for queries on my new book. Just thought I'd drop by and say Hi all, I haven't been on this part of AbsoluteWrite for a while.

How's everyone getting along? Any more success stories?

JoyceD

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I have been *successful* at receiving 16 rejections so far.
:)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll be joining you fine folks soon enough. I plan to start sending out queries next week. :)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll be joining you fine folks soon enough. I plan to start sending out queries next week. :)

Don't forget to hit QLH and post your query. It also doesn't hurt to put your first chapter up on SYW. Dozens of eyes looking for mistakes is one of the greatest gifts AW gives to writers, it's worth taking advantage of BEFORE you find out the hard way.

JoyceD

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had known about this place earlier...

But, I am here now, and things will get better!

I still have faith in my little book. It'll get picked up eventually. It's a good story!

Status
Not open for further replies.