A new challenge?

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
:idea:The why or not we crit thread on SYW has inspired me to think of a new challenge, patterned after our 60 wc contributions in '07.

What about a "happy hundred" featuring 100 words taken from anywhere in your existing MS which reflect what you consider effective writing? I suggest a two week posting period.:)

We might also have a April Fool's challenge for the first week in April: 100 words which are really giving you trouble for whatever reason. This version would definitely invite others to critique. :Huh:

I don't see setting up context as exceeding the 100wc limit on either aspect of the challenge.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like an idea. Did you also put these in c.e.'s challenge thread in SYW? She's already got topics for April, but since I'm the one who suggested them, I don't see why they can't be deferred. I like the idea of an April Fool's challenge. Puma

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I like this idea. But why can't it just start now and go concurrently with the other topics/challenges? Things are a little slow right now, anyway, and it's not even the middle of March.

If people agree, then Diviner can start the new thread in SYW.

Sounds like fun!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Works for me. The more challenges, the better.

Phaedo

a non sequitur
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, diviner, I had a similar idea. Hold on, I'll pm you, ok?

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
A few of you seem to like this idea, so I will take Puma's suggestion to do it concurrently with our present challenges. Shall I say Mar. 15-Mar. 30 for the "Happy Hundred"? (Jess, it's to be something already written, possibly a rewrite of something previously critiqued. I hope you can manage.) I see this as a chance to fine tune a bit of prose working for you, something which might evoke comments. A suggestion: an exerpt which reflects the the flavor of the period or shows the character of your protagonist or possibly illuminates the theme. Mind you, this is just a suggestion.

Phaedo will set the parameters for April Fools.