Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
If you could form a magical connection with someone, why would you do it? I have a faint idea about the magic of person A hurting when used, so they pass the pain onto person b. I need more ideas though. Because that one isn't fitting

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
If you could form a magical connection with someone, why would you do it? I have a faint idea about the magic of person A hurting when used, so they pass the pain onto person b. I need more ideas though. Because that one isn't fitting

What kind of magical connection? Would it be a physical one or more of a spiritual 'I can sense you there' one?

Pardon me for my confusion on the matter. It is getting rather late for me.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not physical, more a magic connection that binds two people together for some reason. I want to bind a 'demon' (not evil, just classified as such) and a human together, but I don't know why such a connection would exist

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Not physical, more a magic connection that binds two people together for some reason. I want to bind a 'demon' (not evil, just classified as such) and a human together, but I don't know why such a connection would exist

Usual version is human promises soul in exchange for greed, avarice or long life, possibly also extraordinary ability / superpower. Demon hangs around to pick up on the deal.

So maybe your demon is not quite top of the class and when the promise is made, the demon has to join on or the human won't have the ability to run at mach 1 or whatever.

Any good?

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I probably haven't explained this very well. My intention is that for some reason (this is what I haven't figured out yet) every demon has a inactive connection to one particular human. Just one. My story starts when this demon activates this connection with the MCs best friend because he thinks the MC is going to act in violence towards him. Once the connection is made, hurting the demon hurts the human as well. And vice-versa. So it's not exactly a prime situation for a demon to be in either, as humans are quite easily damaged.

So I just can't figure out, if it makes both parties vulnerable, why the potential for connection would be there in the first place...

So no deal doing. That would be interesting, but while my MC knows about the magic world, his friend does not.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So I just can't figure out, if it makes both parties vulnerable, why the potential for connection would be there in the first place...

So no deal doing. That would be interesting, but while my MC knows about the magic world, his friend does not.

Hmm, ok, so maybe that's just the way your world works, every human has their demon. Perhaps it's in the myth, and some people know it's real and some people think it's just a story.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm, ok, one last try. How about a basic division of good and evil? Everyone is born inherently good and for every human born a demon is created as well, but as the human goes through life the demon grows depending on the actions of the human. So if you're saint-like your demon is tiny and if you're a serial killer, your demon is in charge.

Ack, no that's useless, but I leave it in case you want to use it.

Sorry. Perhaps more :Coffee: will fix it.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nah, it's good. I'll think of something. When I use the word demon, that's what the human's that know about them call them, the "demons" have a name for their own race. So they're not inherently evil or anything like that, so the: "the demon is an indication of how good the person is" doesn't really work.

You do come up with awesome ideas though, I just wish they fit...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning folks. Another day, another brick in the road.

Sian, you need a real or percieved benefit. Even if the benefit doesnt actually outweigh the cost, it just has to seem to.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The image my head comes up with, of hamburgers floating in a pool of semi-solidified cheese, is not appealing

That. Is. Awesome. :drool

And trust me, I'm a doctor!

I use that line all the time, and it never works. Not even when I am waving around the rusty scalpel and dancing...

Yeah my inner child's still in here somewhere.

My inner child is the reason I have hundreds of animated DVDs. And, of course, is in charge of my diet...

ETA: Is double posting frowned upon in the cantina? Because I've noticed myself doing it a lot lately.

Technically, it is a fora-wide etiquette thing, not just here in the Cantina, on AW, or whatever... You aren't meant to double post, but considering how much I've done it (sometimes for comedic effect, sometimes because I'm lazy, ans most times to get a point in before anyone else) I'm sure nobody will complain. Same as with filling several screens with a massive, massive post such as this - which, dontchaknow, I could keep running for a few thousand more words without pausing...

<Insert inappropriate grabbing picture here.>

We need an inappropriate grabbing smiley as well... *adds to list*

If you could form a magical connection with someone, why would you do it?

To keep a deadly enemy from attacking? Oh, and if there is telepathy involved in this deal, corporate trading scams...

So they're not inherently evil or anything like that, so the: "the demon is an indication of how good the person is" doesn't really work.

Is that like the animals bound to each person in a particularly awesome YA series? Because if it is, I would need to read it again to remember anything about the story... Although I can quote parts of The Yattering And Jack, and it has been years since I read that sucker.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think karma is a lie we tell ourselves so we can hope good things will come our way.

This morning I asked someone a question and she snapped at me and cursed me out. Then there were some passive agressive games until the point when she wanted something and she asked me if I could help. She didn't bother with an apology.

I called the workplace mediation folks because I'm not going to let someone toss their frustration and anger on me.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning all :D I've been here for a while, but I'm only saying hello now. I got distracted arguing online with a stupid person. That stuff really drains time.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Morning everyone.

My day is going to be all thrown off with this 10am work start. I'm usually start at 6am. It felt good to sleep in at least.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

I wrote words this morning. :D

I probably haven't explained this very well. My intention is that for some reason (this is what I haven't figured out yet) every demon has a inactive connection to one particular human. Just one. My story starts when this demon activates this connection with the MCs best friend because he thinks the MC is going to act in violence towards him. Once the connection is made, hurting the demon hurts the human as well. And vice-versa. So it's not exactly a prime situation for a demon to be in either, as humans are quite easily damaged.

So we're looking for a benefit for the demon in this? hm....

Do these demons have a physical form? If not maybe they get to possess the human body at will.

Or there is something about the human experience that they crave, like emotions or something.

Or, their magic can't work unless powered by a human soul/emotion/or whatever. That would be worth the risk imo.

Hope those help.:)

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
When I use the word demon, that's what the human's that know about them call them, the "demons" have a name for their own race. So they're not inherently evil or anything like that, so the: "the demon is an indication of how good the person is" doesn't really work.

You do come up with awesome ideas though, I just wish they fit...

Sooo... if the demons aren't 'bad', as such, then why not use a sort of guardian angel analogy? Only, you know, everyone knows there's no such thing as angels, but there is this other race... like from another plane of existence... although why would they be attached? Maybe, they're like twinners (sorta like in The Talisman)... and usually the bond isn't activated... but because the 'demon' thinks his counterpart is going to be hurt, and the only way he can pass between realms in a physical body is to do the magic link thingy, he does it... ?

I'm not sure why/how they're aware of each other though... Maybe mirrors have some sort of magic between-the-planes communication capabilities or something? Maybe even one-way, so the demon can see what's happening, but the linked person doesn't know he's there?

Anyway, I dunno, just throwing ideas off the top of my head. :) Sounds like a really interesting story!

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh.... I bwoked it. Sowwy. *draws a figure of 8 on the floor with her toe whilst looking down sadly*

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I came in here to grope a bad fairy. She ain't here. I'm leavin'.

Holy Carp! A Ruley sighting!

Hope you hang around more, man.

ION, I was sad to hear of Harry Harrison's passing. Another great soul who finished his tour of Earth.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
:Hug2: for Fen. I hope the mediation helps quickly.

Good morning, all. I'm finishing up packing for my second trip in a week. This time it's a work trip and I'm going somewhere less visually appealing. New Orleans vs. New Jersey. *sigh*

Upside: A handful of my NYC friends are driving down to NJ tonight to take me to dinner. You know they're my real friends when they're willing to leave the city for me. :D

astrodragon

New Dragon; thinking about coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Urghity urgh urgh.

Somehow, somehow I need to get the Sadness Squid to loosen his tentacles enough that I can make my Dr's appt early tomorrow AM. I don't have to escape from his slimey clutches, just have to unbury my face from the Pillow of Lonely Despair and get on the bus.

Except, the Sadness Squid is at his strongest when I first wake up in the morning. So, wise Cantinarettes and Cantinarets... What are your tricks for getting up earlier than your body is used to/plowing through sadness/etc?

Don't go to bed.
Simples.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
That makes... 4 important deaths this week? More? I'm losing count.

It would be really nice if the advanced mind-preserving software would hurry up and become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.