OUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a rejection on one of the full manuscripts I had out. She said she "loved" the book, but couldn't find a publisher with which to place it. Nice....but...a rejection none the less. :cry:
Anybody ever had that happen, that I love it , but.... thing?

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the rejection. Fortunately and unfortunately, I don't know what it's like yet to experience a rejection on a full, so I can't comment on your question. However, good luck with other fulls. I'm sure an agent will pick you up!

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
My first novel died that way. I queried 7 agents, got requests for 2 partials and 5 fulls. The verdict for 6 out of 7: I really like the book, enjoyed reading it, but I have no idea who I'd sell it to. #7 was the person who said it was the most depressing thing she'd ever read, which only suggested to me that she wasn't very widely read. ;)

I gave up after those 7, a thing I now regret. (After all, if six agents enjoyed the book so much...why did each one assume no one else would want to read it?) So, don't let the one rejection get you down.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
That's a real bummer. Fingers crossed that the next agent who loves it knows all the right editors.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
(After all, if six agents enjoyed the book so much...why did each one assume no one else would want to read it?) So, don't let the one rejection get you down.

I've often wondered this myself. I suppose you and Appalachian are examples of the times when agents pass on books they love. Maybe many publishers are more stringent about their imprints than we could possibly know. I think it could also mean an agent doesn't want to spend lots of time pitching and submitting a high risk project. We, of course, would want them to try, but in the end it'd be their loss of time & money.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Here's one from Warner/Grand Central. Which is along the (general) lines of "no market for it."

Thanks so much for thinking of me for THE LUPUS STRAIN. Mr. Stevenson is clearly a talented writer. I was thoroughly entertained by the lively dialogue and descriptive prose. Unfortunately, however, I'm going to pass. I'm afraid that the overall story felt a little familiar, and I was concerned about the novel standing out in such a crowded market. Again, thanks so much for thinking of me, and I wish you success in placing this novel in the right home.

Best wishes,

Hot shot editor

This from at NAL/Penguin:

This is very readable, with a great voice, but these kinds of Michael Crichton-esque books are very difficult to push at the moment. In particular, the approach and concept in this submission don't feel fresh enough to stand out in such a competitive field.

Hot shot editor

So, as can be witnessed, yes, there these types of rejections that state they don't know what to do with it. Plus, in my case, the plot, premise, theme seems to be a bit familiar.

Tri

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Bummer, especially after the hope of sending out a full. But you know what? There's a market for almost anything, and you want an agent who's willing to market your work.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
That really sucks, better luck with the next agent. Break a leg, sweetie!

Status
Not open for further replies.