White Haired Angel of Mercy Banished Rejection Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_opus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.toddthorne.com
This happened about a year and a half ago.

After having (overly) high hopes for placing one of my short stories, I hit the dumps hard upon receiving the 20[sup]th[/sup] rejection. Later in the day, I dragged my black, grumpy mood to Kroger for something I don't recall and happened to strike up a conversation with a delightful woman who'd recently celebrated her 90[sup]th[/sup] birthday and was in town visiting her niece.

It didn't take her long to ask why I seemed down, so I told her. Without missing a beat or even asking one solitary detail about the story, my intended market, or the target audience, she offered the can't-miss remedy to my woe.

She said: "I bet you don't have enough sex in it. Try adding some more. That'll do the trick."

After I freed my jaw from my shoelaces, I thanked her and spent the rest of the night and days to come chuckling over the very astute advice I'd received from a great-grandma.

Anyone else have an unexpected rescuer hoist you from the depths of rejection despair?

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
I love that story. It never ceases to amaze me at how a person I percieve as venerable, crotchity, and just plain old (I work in a retirement community so I see all kinds of folks everyday) can turn around and nail me with something spry and witty I'd expect to hear from a teenager. That lady was a gem!

Pike

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
okay--this isn't about publishing but almost forty years ago i was getting married in a big church wedding but had scrambled the timeline as usual. i was a couple of 3 months pregnant. i mean for the love of god, i was a college grad and so was my husband to be. we had a car, a job, a place to live. my mom and grandma were carrying on like the conservative catholic doom and gloomers that they were. all the dire predictions finally got to me after the wedding and i cried.

so my great grandmother had a talk with me. now she was born in 1884, in a sod house in barton county, ks. she was the third of ten, 8 girls and 2 boys, and not at all shocked and my scandalous condition.

she pointed out that her own parents had had to get married. (if they had gotten married at all!!!!)--and that grandpa suchy was living with another woman when he met my g-great grandmother. and g-grandma suchy had been engaged to another man. they had made 50 years as a couple, whatever their staus.

my 85 year old great grandmother went on to point out a couple of her saintly silver haired sisters--all in their seventies and eighties- and gave me the low down on them. she was the seamstress of the family and had been in charge of ripping seams and adding lace to disguise their pregnancies. i was laughing by this time.

and then she told me something that has made me smile all these years: in our family the first baby can come any time; after that they usually take nine months---s6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.