I'm not that funny, but my character is. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a play about Sitting Bull. He was known for his great sense of humor. The Lakota/Dakota sense of humor is a very self depricating kind of humor. I've lived on the reservation for six years and have observed it, but I have no idea of how to transform what I see onto paper.

It is very important to me that I show this side of Sitting Bull's character as this is usually not how he is depicted. I'm looking for any suggestions on how I can approach this in my writing. I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Find stories, movies, and TV shows that detail the type of humor you are trying to capture.

Watch and read the hell out of them.

Practice writing it.

That is the only way you are going to get it right.

Also experiment with the type of style that works best for this type of humor. I'm thinking perhaps a first person narrative with plenty of character interaction coupled with narrative asides.

Also, watch a lot of stand up comedy. Many comics are masters of self deprecating humor.

Good luck

Mel....

Idahobo

The Eskiminja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegeekbeat.blogspot.com
While following all the above advice, start trying to make that style of humor your own in your daily, non-writing life. As the humor become more natural to you when talking to your friends it'll become more natural when you write as well. Plus since you'll be the target of your own humorous jabs, you won't lose any friends in the process.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I know nothing about Lakota or Dakota humour, but 'self-deprecating' humour is known as sardonic humour, which comes from a greek word meaning "bitter or scornful laughter". It works by approaching adverse situations with pessimism, at the expense of the self. Its aim is to give relief from tension. The Spartans are known for this sort of humour too, e.g. "Then we'll fight in the shade".

To create this humour is easy. Just give a character a difficult or dangerous situation (e.g. trying to cross a rickety bridge). Find a pessimistic outcome (I'll fall in the water), and then invent a dubious benefit (My wife says I should bathe more often anyway).

Often, the sardonic is funnier if you add irony - in which the speaker pretends to be mystified.

"Oh look... a woodcutter has dropped his kindling all across this river and made it look like a bridge."

"Well, your wife will be happy if we cross it - she always says we should bathe more."​

And you can add a little sarcasm to the banter - especially among friends:

"You go first then - you're upwind of me."

"For good reason, my friend."​

The key to good dialogue I think is to ensure that there is conflict, keep it indirect rather than direct, avoid triteness and make it colourful. Humour's hit and miss at the best of times, but at least colourful dialogue is entertaining.

"I always know when you're getting me into a fight, because the crows circle above me"

"Keep your shield upon your back then, and you'll be safe enough."

"I needn't outrun all the enemy, my brother - I only need to outrun you."

"Ah, but I have flat feet, so I may as well fight them."

"Well, if you're going to be fighting, then I'd better stay to coach you."

"Yell loudly then, so the foe down the back can hear."​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.