The query from hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Sir or Madam, (I know I should put your name here, but c'mon, you got this letter, so you know who you are)

I wrote a book. It is a really good book. My friends and my mom told me so. My mom reads a lot of books, so she knows something good when she sees it. I sometimes read my writing to my dog when he has the runs. It comforts him. Anyway, enough about me, more about my book. I've written a book that is better than anything Stephen King or John Grisham combined could write. I know you probably hear this every day, but this is a million dollar idea. Its about a guy and a girl, and they like, ya know, hookup, but not before he saves the world. It is a totally original idea I thought of all in my head, and now I've decided to realease it to the world. I've been offered a publishing contract from PublishAmerica, but I figured I'd give you (and everyone else I've mass emailed this to) a chance to top their one dollar offer. So, I've attatched a copy of my book, its pretty long, but I'd like you to let me know what you think, sometime within the next couple of days if you don't mind. I know you are busy, but really, you haven't seen a book like mine in a long time. I'm okay with a small advance, but I want to be paid royalties monthly. So, that's what I've got, I expect to hear from you really soon, like today, or tomorrow even. And if you say no, I'm going to pretend that I never got your email, and just re-send this to you again, so you have no choice but to say yes.

Thanks,

W. Meiners

(I don't know why I did this, I'm just bored, I hope atleast someone laughed)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
OneTeamOneDream said:
Dear Sir or Madam, (I know I should put your name here, but c'mon, you got this letter, so you know who you are)

I wrote a book. It is a really good book. My friends and my mom told me so. My mom reads a lot of books, so she knows something good when she sees it. I sometimes read my writing to my dog when he has the runs. It comforts him. Anyway, enough about me, more about my book. I've written a book that is better than anything Stephen King or John Grisham combined could write. I know you probably hear this every day, but this is a million dollar idea. Its about a guy and a girl, and they like, ya know, hookup, but not before he saves the world. It is a totally original idea I thought of all in my head, and now I've decided to realease it to the world. I've been offered a publishing contract from PublishAmerica, but I figured I'd give you (and everyone else I've mass emailed this to) a chance to top their one dollar offer. So, I've attatched a copy of my book, its pretty long, but I'd like you to let me know what you think, sometime within the next couple of days if you don't mind. I know you are busy, but really, you haven't seen a book like mine in a long time. I'm okay with a small advance, but I want to be paid royalties monthly. So, that's what I've got, I expect to hear from you really soon, like today, or tomorrow even. And if you say no, I'm going to pretend that I never got your email, and just re-send this to you again, so you have no choice but to say yes.

Thanks,

W. Meiners

(I don't know why I did this, I'm just bored, I hope atleast someone laughed)

The sad thing is that I actually receive letters like this pretty often, followed by phone calls wondering why I hadn't called them.

RainBrain

Registered
Reaction score
Nomad said:
The sad thing is that I actually receive letters like this pretty often, followed by phone calls wondering why I hadn't called them.

lol. i'm going to send you a letter. not like that though

book_maven

Reader Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
That is hilarious!

For real versions and other agenting nightmares and advice, see this blog. She is on vacation now, but due back in a couple of days.

http://misssnark.blogspot.com/

Sara Rachael Hope

Just an (aka) alias!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for helping me put a smile on my face today!
It is a wonderful letter although I think there may be one particular line missing...
"Please don't take a tone with me, and make sure my book gets read by every person who is literate all over the world (from sea to shining sea)".
:idea: Just a thought!

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
stormie said:
Stumbled over here to the nonfiction boards, not expecting to get my day's daily dose of humor. (I've been visiting the AW Awful Poetry contest and Humor board lately for my daily fix of laughter.) So thanks! You did it! :Clap:

That (and killing boredom) was the whole point of it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

A.REX

Registered
Reaction score
That's a pretty good laugh. I wonder if the agent/ed thought so or if they just crumpled it up. Sad to think it didn't end up in a frame.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
A.REX said:
That's a pretty good laugh. I wonder if the agent/ed thought so or if they just crumpled it up. Sad to think it didn't end up in a frame.

It wasn't something I really sent out. I just wrote it sitting here at the computer yesterday, bored out of my mind.

susanabra

slipping across borders
Registered
Reaction score
I'll bet that if you did send it to an agent, s/he would frame it! :ROFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.