Naming a new substance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashfiction

It's largely empty in here
Registered
Reaction score
Names are an on-off achillies heel for me, some days I get some great brainwave about one and other days I spend hours trying to find a fitting name and never really do. This, unfortunately, is the latter :(

I have a fantastical substance, a metal, specifically, in my story that is quite important. It is very tough and unreactive, it can be infused with magic (unlike other metals, as metal tends to be a bane to magic) and when this happens it's other properties are further heightened. The most important thing about it though is that it's discovery and subsequent use is basically the reason why two of my species allied themselves with each other, and why one taught magic to the other-it holds deep cultural and historical importance in the story, which is why I want a unique name for it that sounds just right.

I used some Latin translators as a basic starting point, because generally the Latin word for whatever embodies the thing I'm naming can easily be twisted about into a fitting fantasy name. I trawled through a long list of likely words and got a few ok-ish name ideas:

Ossolite - osso means bone and the metal ore is taken from deep in the earth, the 'bones' of the mountains. Could also be a reference to the fact it is the first part of the structure of relations between two species.

Atralite - atra means dark, and the ore is found in the darkest places of the world. Not sure if this fits too well to be honest, as dark is generally a negative term and this metal brought about good things.

I prefer Ossolite at the moment, but that is still just a latin word stuck onto a metallic word really, and it needs improving at least. If anyone can think of a different name entirely that sounds good then I'm all for that as well, of everything so far this is the hardest thing to find a name for (apart from my continent, but that's a whole other kettle of fish)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maltrum

Duranium

Calcironium

Xantrite

Infinasium

Kuacite

Sodarium

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
That's a lot of thought into naming things! I just go for something that sounds remotely fantasy....

Would the races in your world use latin though? Just being a pedant but it would make sense for us to use latin or greek for new discoveries, would it make sense for them...

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
That's a lot of thought into naming things! I just go for something that sounds remotely fantasy....

Would the races in your world use latin though? Just being a pedant but it would make sense for us to use latin or greek for new discoveries, would it make sense for them...

Since we're "translating" the story for an english audience anyway, there's no reason we can't translate whatever the real name of the metal is into a latinate word.

My problem is that "ossolite" and "atralite" are not something you would name a metal, but rather, they are more likely to be the name of the mineral ore from which the metal is extracted.

Wark

Mark Brockman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markbrockman.blogspot.com
Are we in a world where gold, silver, copper, iron, etc, are called their common day terms. We modern folk talk about sodium on a regular basis, but no one talks about lawrencium or cesium.

If you really are stuck on an -ium go with German or Latvian. nicetranlator.com is my favorite since you can see multiple languages at the bottom.

So, suggestions: Gandriz [fast in Latvian], ändern [change in German] though ändernium does sound better, valt [chosen in Swedish] or Valtium.

Eh, I dunno. Zemesrieksts but everyone calls it zeme. That's peanut in Latvian.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
'Ite' words tend to be ores and minerals, like anthracite, vermiculite. They can contain metals in impure form -- for instance, haematite is a mineral containing the metal iron. Minerals often bear names relating to their appearance (e.g. vermiculite, because it makes worm-like shapes when heated, or haematite because it can look like a blood colour), or their properties (e.g. magnetite) either real or imagined.

Pure elemental metals are metallic because they conduct electricity, and can 'rust' in the presence of the right materials. They can be soft or hard, malleable or brittle. Unlike minerals and ores, elemental metals cannot be 'purified' any further by chemical means. They're normally given a Latin root and 'um' or 'ium', although some have common names too (e.g. lead was also known as 'plumbum'; iron was known as 'ferrum'). A great many elemental metals were discovered in a fairly short time, and they were named after all manner of things. E.g. the gas helium is technically a metal, and was named after the sun, where it was speculated to be found. Ytterbium was named after the Swedish town of Ytterby.

Alloys are a mixture of elemental metals and some other impurities. Steel is an alloy for instance. Alloys are used to help change the chemical and physical properties of the material, while still keeping its metal nature. Alloys can get any sort of name.

If your metal is elemental then I'd suggest that it get a 'um' or 'ium' name. The ore from which it comes might also get an 'ite' name. The roots might or might not be the same.

E.g. Suppose that the ore were considered cursed -- you might try 'scelite' -- the wicked ore. But when refined, it might produce 'callidium' - the 'sly' or 'subtle' metal.

Rather than use a translator to pick roots I used an online dictionary, which is both browsable and searchable. This one worked well.

Hope that helps.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get too hung up on this.

And then take a look at the names of all the materials considered precious in their time: gold, amber, emerald, ruby, balsam, silk, the philosopher's stone, pepper, royal purple, salt...

Maybe you could find a medieval Gallic or Germanic word for something that was/is precious and use that.

Smashfiction

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for replies so far :)

just to clarify, the majority of metals and materials in my world are called by their traditional names to avoid huge confusion. So you have gold, silver, iron and so on (in fact, one of my races bases their culture almost entirely around the worth of various metal).

that is a good point about the ore differing from the metal itself...it isn't an alloy or anything but I suppose that yes, the refined product is very different from the raw resource.

would it help to name the ore after it's appearance? To those who work with the metal, it's properties are considered extremely useful and so the substance itself is practically sacred in a culture based on metals. But if they first discovered the ore and were still figuring out how to refine it, I doubt they would name it something like 'blessed ore' because they aren't sure if it's any good yet.

...hmm...lots of metals have crystilline structures visible in their refined states...would it be possible to take this even further and have the ore look almost like a gem or crystal of some kind?

or perhaps the ore looks very different from the metal itself. perhaps the ore is either very light or dark in colour, but when exposed to extreme heat it changes dramatically and becomes lighter/darker, and maybe even heavier or lighter due to it's magical properties?

If I can come up with a convincing but intriguing appearance for the ore itself, then a name for that should spring to mind, and the name of the metal could then be derived from how it changes or how valuble it is.

PS: While on the subject of naming things I'll slip this in anyway. Naming lands/worlds, now that's tricky. Apart from the above problem, only thing I have really struggled with so far. Seems to me like a lot of fantasy realms begin with the letter A and are long and fanciful, any particular reason for this? Any tips on how to avoid a cliché, overly complex name, and have it somehow sound convincing as the name of a land, as opposed to a person or town? Usually when I read them the names slot well into their role but as proven by the first problem, I have a hard time getting that.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Just from the thread title, I'm thinking of standard "placeholder" SF substance names fictionite and unobtanium.

From your description my first thought is "fusionite" created as a result of the "fusion" of these two cultures, as well as the infusion of magic. This would be a formal name, and since it's so important to your story's culture, I'd think it would also be known by at least one, and perhaps several other names. I'd look for a more informal and perhaps more "commonly used" name of one or two syllables. Perhaps "common folk" would use the informal name, and more educated people would use the name fusionite, and the use of the word would help distinguish the class of the person using it.

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry over much about it. As you work with your characters and world it will just pop out their one day.

But if you follow current trends for naming elements today, you would probably name it Uruilublmmeyleeim. or something equally awful to pronounce. I mean, look at the bottom of the periodic table!

PS: While on the subject of naming things I'll slip this in anyway. Naming lands/worlds, now that's tricky. Apart from the above problem, only thing I have really struggled with so far. Seems to me like a lot of fantasy realms begin with the letter A and are long and fanciful, any particular reason for this? Any tips on how to avoid a cliché, overly complex name, and have it somehow sound convincing as the name of a land, as opposed to a person or town? Usually when I read them the names slot well into their role but as proven by the first problem, I have a hard time getting that.

I so hate that. the big a ones. My longest land name is Gethsur. Shortest is Tek.

I say just sit there and babble to yourself for a while (alone preferably, so they don't call the nice people in the white coats to give you a hug jacket) until you find something short and easy to say. and spellable. That's what I did, had a lot of things i couldn't say either. But same as the metal, keep working with the people and places. Its name will come to you.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
When I get stuck with a name I typically type it as &&&colony or &&&frigate3 or &&&strangealloy, that sort of thing.

But your question was about actually picking the names. Ted's post made me consider that modern naming conventions for ores and alloys would probably not be the norm in a fantasy setting. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the names you've got, but I don't think you should let it bog you down too much.

Smashfiction

Registered
Reaction score
thanks again for replies all.

I'm interested in trying out your idea benbradley, about having the common and proffesional names, both to show it's continued use and importance in the culture and to help distinguish between class. Fusionite, while relevant, sounds a bit...spacey? A bit more sci-fi than fantasy (which is what I'm after, sorry if I forgot to mention that).

...if the refined metal was extremely cold to the touch due to it's density/need for extreme heat to be altered/ whatever, could the 'common' name be something like Frosteel? Or is that too cliché or just plain odd sounding?

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
ideas

luchtite - luch is mouse (as in computer) in Irish Gaelic
tasta - tastatur is keyboard in German

There's also a wealth of possibilities in Japanese, especially since they're very big on technology...

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
thanks again for replies all.

I'm interested in trying out your idea benbradley, about having the common and proffesional names, both to show it's continued use and importance in the culture and to help distinguish between class. Fusionite, while relevant, sounds a bit...spacey? A bit more sci-fi than fantasy (which is what I'm after, sorry if I forgot to mention that).

...if the refined metal was extremely cold to the touch due to it's density/need for extreme heat to be altered/ whatever, could the 'common' name be something like Frosteel? Or is that too cliché or just plain odd sounding?

First, yes, "frosteel" sounds a bit cheesy. But the really important thing to consider is that this metal is not iron, and so why would it have "steel" as part of the name? Unless it shares a lot of charactristics with iron or steel that you haven't mentioned?

Smashfiction

Registered
Reaction score
hmm..good point. It seems I need to start thinking a little more like a metal-worker, put myself in my character's mindset. If they know lots about metal I suppose they wouldn;t stick steel onto the name of an un-steel-like substance.

I'm not exactly a huge metallurgy expert, but the closest thing I could compare it to would be titanium (or at least the titanium-based metal used to armour tanks and so on), or something like gold/platinum, or a combination of both. It is incredibly tough and also quite shiny and un-reactive. While gold (perhaps platinum) is known in my fantasy world, I understand titanium is a sort of recent discovery?

I can hardly call it Titanite or something though, bit of an obvious rip-off of titanium.

Pssht, I think I'll go delve into some translators again, run random connected names for some inspiration *rams mining hat onto head and flicks on the light*

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Titanium was discovered in 1791 because an amateur geologist found black sand attracted by a magnet and analyzed it. So if magnets are not common, and you can't analyze metals easily, you will likely not be discovering titanium.

Tungsten, a very tough metal un-alloyed was discovered in 1781, through acid chemistry.

Smashfiction

Registered
Reaction score
good idea-ill do something similar for my land name as that is going to be very, very annoying to name. I had an idea the other day but it was about midnight and I was shattered, forgotten it now-must have apen and paper handy more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.