Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's those weird independent nutters who argue for fiscal conservativism on one thread and liberal social issues on another.

Guilty.

I guess we have to define what is left- or right-leaning. Are lefties both fiscally and socially conservative? Is there something in between? Where do you draw the line? I mean, in one quiz I was marked as basically a Centrist.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's those weird independent nutters who argue for fiscal conservativism on one thread and liberal social issues on another.

You know, like me. ;)
How can you argue that it's okay for people to be in control of both their own lives and their own money? That seems oddly consistent to me. :rolleyes:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Guilty.

I guess we have to define what is left- or right-leaning. Are lefties both fiscally and socially conservative? Is there something in between? Where do you draw the line? I mean, in one quiz I was marked as basically a Centrist.
Don't make me pull out the Nolan Chart again! :D

Lefties tend toward leaving people alone socially, but spending other people's money for what they define as good causes. Righties used to be the inverse, 'till the neocons came along. Now they're mostly for spending other people's money for wars AND what they consider good causes, while telling other people what's right socially.

Party-wise, if you think of Dems as the Mommy Party (eat your veggies, be nice to everyone, share your toys) and Reps as the Daddy Party (do as you're told, work hard, don't take any crap on the playground) you won't be far off.

Those of us who consistently wish to be left alone, as long as we behave like adults, apparently now must be called anti-statists, since Bob Barr hijacked the term libertarian.

I'm SOOOOOO confused!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought our ballots were secret for a reason.

(you're going to track me back though my computer, aren't you, you fiend; and the nice young men, in their nice white coats are going to come and confiscate my computer... and then...)

;)

C A Winters

Never say "I can't."
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I think "none" would have been a better choice for me. I actually do feel like I have no one to vote for. I don't like either McCain or Obama as candidates.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The confusing part is how the GOP no longer stands for fiscal conservatism or liberalism, but rather something off somewhere on the extreme of the y-axis of the complex plane of economic issues.

ETA: For anyone unsure about complex numbers, that would be the imaginary axis, as in "we'll pretend this makes sense...lalala"

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm still trying to figure out how this "cut taxes and then spend like a drunken sailor at a whore house" thing works... it's not conservatism or liberalism. It's just something bizarre.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Raise income, lower expenditure. Economics 101. I got an A.

So how come no one gets it?

Old Republicans: cut taxes, cut spending.

New Republicans: cut taxes, spend more.

Democrats: raise taxes, spend more.

We're missing something here.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
No. The economic mantra for both parties is "say whatever it will take to win." Neither party has a grip on the economy. It's pathetic. It's possible that the economic measures smart people take in their own homes won't work on a federal scale I suppose. I'll never understand it because I deal with real money in my house; the government is dealing with imaginary money on such a broad scale that I don't think they really have a clue as to how much money we really have.

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
No. The economic mantra for both parties is "say whatever it will take to win." Neither party has a grip on the economy. It's pathetic. It's possible that the economic measures smart people take in their own homes won't work on a federal scale I suppose. I'll never understand it because I deal with real money in my house; the government is dealing with imaginary money on such a broad scale that I don't think they really have a clue as to how much money we really have.

QFT

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
In 1936, the most evil man of the 20th century, John Maynard Keynes, published The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money, or, as it should be subtitled, Economics for Control Freaks and Fascists.

Stripped of it's high-falutin' gobbledegook, it basically provided governments with justification to fiddle with the money supply... sorta like saying it's okay to put a printing press in the basement and just print the money you want to spend, as long as you have the guns to proclaim yourself a government.

Because his economic theories justify meddling in the economy, they're still the darling of politicians, intelligensia, bankers, and corporate robber barons around the world. If you want to know how far they've carried it in this country, I'd recommend this little video, Fuzzy Numbers, from Chris Martenson.

Oh, and I'd also like to indulge in a little character assassination by pointing out he was still on the board of the British Eugenics Society in 1945. In 1946, before his death, he declared eugenics "the most important, significant and, I would add, genuine branch of sociology which exists."

I'm not one to support book burning; that said, I know of one I'd gladly see thrown on the bonfire.

Anybody care to ask how I really feel about him? :D

Jimmyboy1

Banned
Reaction score
The day a Democrat cuts taxes is the day I have a baby. Aint happenin'. Can't. Same as trusting them with the military. Can't.

And imo, there are many more libs here than conservatives. many more, but it seems balanced because the conservatives tell the truth, and the truth RESONATES.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
The day a Democrat cuts taxes is the day I have a baby. Aint happenin'. Can't. Same as trusting them with the military. Can't.

And imo, there are many more libs here than conservatives. many more, but it seems balanced because the conservatives tell the truth, and the truth RESONATES.

What a crock!

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Toy/Hotdog

Why don't we tax all the countries who have owed us money for more than 20 years? That might be a good policy for the ticket.

Last edited: